It is currently September 22nd, 2017, 3:15 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Unread postPosted: February 5th, 2017, 5:13 pm 

Joe Manchn is a rarity within his own party. He puts West Virginians and Americans ahead of hi party.
Quote:
Imagine the intensifying pressure on West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin, the Senate’s most approachable Democrat for Republicans.

In the increasingly toxic, partisan Washington, D.C., Manchin walks a treacherous path down the middle of the road. He says, “I’m a West Virginia Democrat, not a Washington Democrat.” He looks for solutions, but says “this toxic atmosphere is not for me. It’s not who I am,” he told The Daily Caller News Foundation.

He describes President Donald Trump voters in West Virginia “like returning Vietnam veterans who did everything their country asked and then got kicked in the teeth.” He says his state has done the heavy lifting for America – mining, manufacturing to be the superpower of the world — but the Obama energy and environment policies crushed West Virginia’s spirit.

When his state elected Trump, they rejected “a traditional Democrat and a traditional Republican,” he said. Critiquing the dominant policies in his own party, Manchin says, it’s almost gotten to the point that “the Democrats are preventing the working class from working.” He thinks Trump is committed to getting things done, and in a “troubled world and a divided country,” Manchin is ready to help.

The West Virginia senator, an easy-to-like politician, chafes at those who condemn him even for having conversations with Republicans. “As Americans, we always win if we work together,” he says in this exclusive video interview.

When former Democratic Sen. Harry Reid released a scathing statement against Trump after the election, Manchin blasted his former party leader.

“Harry and I have not seen eye to eye since I arrived six years ago,” Manchin says smiling. “His leadership style did not coincide with mine.” He continued, “Thank you for your service, Harry, and it’s time to move on and let someone else take over.”

Manchin skipped the Obamacare meeting with all Democrats and former President Barack Obama last month. He has pledged to vote for Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions for attorney general, he has met with Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch and has developed such a rapport with Trump that he was considered for a cabinet position.

In the video, Manchin refuses to be a partisan obstructionist against Trump’s nominees, as others in the Democrat Party seem to promise. As a former executive or governor himself who needed his own team to govern, Manchin lays out his criteria for assessing the president’s nominees.

Manchin says he’s had more interactions with Trump since the election than all eight years with Obama, who he says “just wasn’t a mixer.” “There was no relationship-building or camaraderie” with Obama.

To the Democrats fretting about Trump being President, he says, “do your job; try to make him the best you can.” And the Democrat senator distances himself from Democratic strategist David Brock, who is seeking Democrat donors for his exposed plan to impeach Trump and run a daily war room to denounce and delegitimize the president. To Manchin, Brock “does not come from any wing of the party that I associate with.”
Also in the video, the senator discusses Trump’s “travel ban” executive order and the Republican effort to repeal and replace Obamacare.
http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/04/manch ... %20Weekend

Unread postPosted: February 5th, 2017, 5:45 pm 

If I were an American, I would vote for Joe Manchin if he ran for president no matter which party banner he ran under.

Unread postPosted: February 5th, 2017, 7:57 pm 

There once was a time when there were lots of moderates in the democrat party like this guy, now they are virtually extinct.

Manchin better be prepared, the democrats and the media will be coming after him.

Unread postPosted: February 5th, 2017, 9:21 pm 

Yeah Right wrote:
There once was a time when there were lots of moderates in the democrat party like this guy, now they are virtually extinct.

Manchin better be prepared, the democrats and the media will be coming after him.

I remember when there were lots of centrist Democrats like Manchin.

Unread postPosted: February 5th, 2017, 9:51 pm 

Herman wrote:
Yeah Right wrote:

Yep in the 90s there were tons. Bill Clinton himself was one. Which is probably partly why, despite not being a very good person in his personal life, he was a reasonably good president.

This Manchin guy is the only one I've heard of in a long time. I'm going to watch and see what happens, I would bet anything the dem party elite will find some way to punish him for it like they did Joe Lieberman.

Unread postPosted: February 5th, 2017, 10:15 pm 

Yeah Right wrote:
Herman wrote:
Yeah Right wrote:

Yep in the 90s there were tons. Bill Clinton himself was one. Which is probably partly why, despite not being a very good person in his personal life, he was a reasonably good president.

This Manchin guy is the only one I've heard of in a long time. I'm going to watch and see what happens, I would bet anything the dem party elite will find some way to punish him for it like they did Joe Lieberman.

Joe is a common name for common sense Democrats. Joe Donnelly, Joe Lieberman, Joe Manchin.

Unread postPosted: February 6th, 2017, 12:20 pm 

Quote:
“the Democrats are preventing the working class from working.”

The Democrats abandoned working people long ago. Same with the NDP in Canada. That's what happens when progressives hijack the left.

Unread postPosted: February 6th, 2017, 1:04 pm 

iron horse jockey wrote:
Quote:

The Democrats abandoned working people long ago. Same with the NDP in Canada. That's what happens when progressives hijack the left.

I am going to have to disagree with you on the NDP abandoning working people in Canada. I agree they should focus more strongly, but they have not abandoned the working class. That can be seen in the pension reform specifically.

Unread postPosted: February 6th, 2017, 4:28 pm 

And speaking of retirement. JT's economic advisers recommend raising the retirement age.

Canada should raise its retirement age, economic advisers suggest
http://globalnews.ca/news/3230099/retir ... ge-canada/

Unread postPosted: February 6th, 2017, 4:52 pm 

RW wrote:
iron horse jockey wrote:
Quote:

I am going to have to disagree with you on the NDP abandoning working people in Canada. I agree they should focus more strongly, but they have not abandoned the working class. That can be seen in the pension reform specifically.

The No Development Party is the party of Naomi Klein and Avi Lewis. The only working people that should vote for them are snivel serpents like Fash. Their pension reform just means taking more money out of people's pockets, ignoring demographics and leaving more unfunded liabilities behind for future generations.

The NDP in Saskatchewan got it right under Allan Blakeney with public sector pensions forty years ago. Their federal counterparts are in denial.

Unread postPosted: February 6th, 2017, 4:59 pm 

You got the NDP short straw with Notley.

Unread postPosted: February 6th, 2017, 7:40 pm 

Shen Li wrote:
RW wrote:
iron horse jockey wrote:
Quote:

The No Development Party is the party of Naomi Klein and Avi Lewis. The only working people that should vote for them are snivel serpents like Fash. Their pension reform just means taking more money out of people's pockets, ignoring demographics and leaving more unfunded liabilities behind for future generations.

The NDP in Saskatchewan got it right under Allan Blakeney with public sector pensions forty years ago. Their federal counterparts are in denial.

It was the NDP that stopped the defined benefit pension plan gravy train in Saskatchewan.

Unread postPosted: February 6th, 2017, 8:34 pm 

As to OP, Joe is one of the only "decent" politicians in all of N America

No silly ..... I'm not referring to "our Joe"

Unread postPosted: February 7th, 2017, 5:15 pm 

RW wrote:
iron horse jockey wrote:
Quote:

Our union brothers never asked them to do that. That's picking our pockets just like carbon taxes. Like Joe Manchin said, we are working people who want to work. The NDP is working against us.