It is currently September 23rd, 2017, 8:05 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Unread postPosted: January 28th, 2017, 6:34 pm 

Quote:
The federal court for the Eastern District of New York has reportedly issued an emergency stay temporarily halting the removal of individuals detained after President Trump's order banned immigrants from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the US.

The court ruled on a habeas corpus petition filed by the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of two Iraqi men who were detained at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Friday after Trump's ban, The Verge reported Saturday night.

The move marks the first successful legal challenge to the Trump administration, reportedly dealing with a portion of Trump's order handed down Friday to ban many refugees and people from majority-Muslim countries.

Trump's order bars Syrian refugees indefinitely and halts the resettlement of all refugees for four months for the administration to review the vetting process.

Admission will resume only after vetting has been deemed "adequate" by the secretary of State, the secretary of Homeland Security and Director of National Intelligence.

The order also denies entry for 90 days for individuals from seven predominantly Muslims countries: Iraq, Iran, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Libya and Yemen.

:oeudC:

Unread postPosted: January 28th, 2017, 7:28 pm 

This shows a flaw in the American system of checks and balances when a lower court judge becomes more powerful than a president. But I expect this will happen to trump through his entire presidenmcy. Unelected Liberal judges are going to do everything they can to stop everything he does.

Hopefully the matter will be settled quickly and the ban put back in place.

Unread postPosted: January 28th, 2017, 7:34 pm 

Yeah Right wrote:
This shows a flaw in the American system of checks and balances when a lower court judge becomes more powerful than a president. But I expect this will happen to trump through his entire presidenmcy. Unelected Liberal judges are going to do everything they can to stop everything he does.

You realise that court authority isn't measured highest to lowest right? Most every decisions start in lower courts.

And that is what the judicial branch does - keeps checks and balances on the government.

Unread postPosted: January 28th, 2017, 9:08 pm 

RW wrote:
You realise that court authority isn't measured highest to lowest right? Most every decisions start in lower courts.

Doesn't matter, a lower court judge should not be able to stop anything a president does. The supreme court yes (depending)

RW wrote:
And that is what the judicial branch does - keeps checks and balances on the government.

the judicial branch is government just as much as anything else. the executive (president) the legislative (house and senate) and judicial (supreme court) are supposed to be co-equal branches of government. A minor court judge stopping a president is not co equal, that is a judical branch suremacy and out of whack. What should happen is the presidents order stays in place until the supreme court hears the case.

BTW according to VOX the stay limited to people already here in ariports

Federal judge halts Trump’s immigration order — but only for those already here
The Trump administration can’t deport the people it’s currently holding in airports.
http://www.vox.com/2017/1/28/14427656/t ... wsuit-stay

Unread postPosted: January 28th, 2017, 9:25 pm 

The Supreme Court chooses the cases it hears from the lower court. You go from lower court to appeals court to Supreme Court IF they will hear the case. Generally, they only take cases they feel the lower courts erred or they feel the case require constitutional clarification. A decision from the lower court is as good as one from the Supreme Court in terms of standing.

Every branch should have its checks and balances, including the legislative branch and especially your lying pig of a President

Unread postPosted: January 28th, 2017, 9:51 pm 

RW wrote:
The Supreme Court chooses the cases it hears from the lower court. You go from lower court to appeals court to Supreme Court IF they will hear the case. Generally, they only take cases they feel the lower courts erred or they feel the case require constitutional clarification. A decision from the lower court is as good as one from the Supreme Court in terms of standing.

yes I know all that. My point is until that process is complete, either the suprmem court has ruled or denied certiori) a minor court judge should reign supreme over a presdent

RW wrote:
Every branch should have its checks and balances, including the legislative branch and especially your lying pig of a President

A little, unelected, liberal pig of a judge, shouldn't be able get to stand in the way of a president. Only the supreme court should ever be able to do that.

Apparently this thing only effects "refugees" who have already landed. Hopefully they are detaining them until this liberal stupidity is straightened out.

Unread postPosted: January 28th, 2017, 9:54 pm 

It's the CONSTITUTION that's standing in Trump's way. A federal court judge just handed him the bag news.

I would hope a judge of any political background would have done the right thing here.

Yeah Right, I seriously worry for your country if you think that order was reasonable. You know why? Because in other civilized countries, you have to demonstrably justify such restrictions on people in a free and democratic society. "Because I said so" doesn't fly.

Unread postPosted: January 28th, 2017, 10:11 pm 

RW wrote:
It's the CONSTITUTION that's standing in Trump's way. A federal court judge just handed him the bag news.

I would hope a judge of any political background would have done the right thing here.

Yeah Right, I seriously worry for your country if you think that order was reasonable.

I hope you're just trolling, cause that is :crazy:

Where does the constitution say that the US does not have the right to deny entrance to refugees from other countries,?

Unread postPosted: January 28th, 2017, 10:24 pm 

It does not have the right to detain people in airports who hold American green cards without a valid reason. "Because some terrorists come from these countries" doesn't cut it.

I can't believe I'm having to explain this to another human being. It seriously blows my mind. :dash1:

Unread postPosted: January 28th, 2017, 10:52 pm 

RW wrote:
It does not have the right to detain people in airports who hold American green cards without a valid reason. "Because some terrorists come from these countries" doesn't cut it.

I can't believe I'm having to explain this to another human being. It seriously blows my mind. :dash1:

Where did it say in the article you posted that the two Iraqi men had green cards? (nowhere)

And again where in the constitution does it say that the US must accept refugees? (nowhere)

Unread postPosted: January 29th, 2017, 1:19 am 

Yeah Right wrote:
RW wrote:

Where did it say in the article you posted that the two Iraqi men had green cards? (nowhere)

And again where in the constitution does it say that the US must accept refugees? (nowhere)

Since when were refugees from Yemen, Somalia, Iraq, Iran...? This isn't about refugees ya nub.

Unread postPosted: January 29th, 2017, 8:51 am 

I believe the major controversy in these instances was that Trump was trying to block refugees who had already been approved for entry into the United States before he assumed office. So the judge overruled him, which she should.

But for anyone else trying to initiate an application or in the process from these banned nations, they can no longer enter.

Unread postPosted: January 29th, 2017, 8:55 am 

The bad part about this selective refugee ban is that now all these refugees will apply elsewhere like Canada and Europe.

And because the US doesn't want to do its share of the heavy lifting, the others will have to do it for them.

Unread postPosted: January 29th, 2017, 10:45 am 

JOE wrote:
And because the US doesn't want to do its share of the heavy lifting, the others will have to do it for them.

Dimwit, we've done our share of heavy lifting that cost the lives of sons and daughters of the US of A. Smarten the fuck up.

Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don't take it so seriously.

Unread postPosted: January 29th, 2017, 11:00 am 

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

~~~Oath of Allegiance to the US of A

Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don't take it so seriously.

Unread postPosted: January 29th, 2017, 12:38 pm 

I don't know why you people keep using the word "refugee". He's banned people in general from specific countries from so much as visiting the US regardless if they hold a VISA.

Unread postPosted: January 29th, 2017, 12:39 pm 

Azhya Aryola wrote:
"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

~~~Oath of Allegiance to the US of A

WTF does this have to do with anything?

Unread postPosted: January 29th, 2017, 1:48 pm 

Yeah Right wrote:

That judge is pos. The ban is good for Americans. The prog judge not so much.

Unread postPosted: January 29th, 2017, 2:14 pm 

The ban is good for Americans in what way?

Unread postPosted: January 29th, 2017, 2:34 pm 

I guess Trump supporters in Canada will not like this.

Trudeau says Canada will take refugees banned by U.S.
TORONTO –€” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has a message for refugees rejected by U.S. President Donald Trump: Canada will take you.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/tru ... anned-u-s/