It is currently February 21st, 2017, 8:03 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Unread postPosted: February 14th, 2017, 8:10 pm 

Canadian troops critical to the fight against ISIS have lost a major tax break that had saved them more than $9,000 each over the course of a six-month tour.

The tax breaks, worth between $1,500 to $1,800 per month, are provided to soldiers who meet certain criteria related to the risk of their duties and the relative hardship of their living conditions while deployed overseas.

Fifteen soldiers at Camp Arfijan, a base in Kuwait, lost the tax break in September, after the military downgraded the risk level. They fought to get it back, arguing that they faced no less danger or hardship than other soldiers stationed in the country.

But instead of restoring the tax break to Camp Arifjan’s soldiers, the military took the exemption away from the more than 300 soldiers stationed in Kuwait who will no longer be eligible as of June 1st, 2017.

One soldier told CTV News that, out of all the nations fighting ISIS, he believes the Canadians are the only ones who will not be getting the tax break. The Pentagon confirmed to CTV News that all American soldiers deployed to Kuwait receive tax exemption status.

Military sources say the change is already causing hardships. One deployed soldier supports his disabled sister and pays his elderly mother’s mortgage, and now their financial future is uncertain.

The mother of an affected soldier, Glenda Lindsay, said it feels as though her son is being cheated. “They're cutting corners at the troops' expense,” she told CTV News

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan promised to fix the situation at a defence committee meeting on Dec. 1 when he was pressed by Conservative Defence Critic, James Bezan. But there has yet to be any change. One affected soldier feels like “we got kicked in the stomach.”
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/troops-ser ... -1.3277313
First of all, I did not know we had troops in Kuwait. Now that I know that, I want them to have their tax exemption.

Unread postPosted: February 14th, 2017, 8:24 pm 

I have no problem with them having tax exempt status but to claim hardship is a little beyond reason considering how much they make while deployed (in excess of $100K a year).

Unread postPosted: February 14th, 2017, 8:44 pm 

RW wrote:
I have no problem with them having tax exempt status but to claim hardship is a little beyond reason considering how much they make while deployed (in excess of $100K a year).

Do you mean enlisted ranks or officers? You must mean officers?

Unread postPosted: February 14th, 2017, 9:06 pm 

Yeah, officers. I've seen them go over $200K though and that was a 6 month stay.

Unread postPosted: February 14th, 2017, 9:17 pm 

RW wrote:
Yeah, officers. I've seen them go over $200K though and that was a 6 month stay.

Good Lord. What the hell am I doing in financial services???

Seriously though, I did read a number of years ago that Canada had one of the best paid armies in the industrialized world. I did not think the remuneration could get that high though.

Unread postPosted: February 14th, 2017, 9:31 pm 

RW wrote:

Most of that would be bonuses for danger RW?