It is currently December 14th, 2019, 8:11 am

All times are UTC-08:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1381 posts ]  Go to page Previous 165 66 67 68 69 70 Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 8:43 am 

Joined: October 4th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Posts: 41385
Bricktop wrote:
I doubt they would make good pets.

Why do you say that?

They seem like they would become domesticated easily.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 10:39 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 10th, 2016, 5:14 pm
Posts: 3536
Bricktop wrote:
I doubt they would make good pets.


I had an escaped one fly into my Jacaranda tree. I coaxed down with a bowl sun flower seeds. It came straight to me and I walked inside with it. I had it for 9 months before I rang a talkback radio show and that lead to finding the owner...

The bird loved raw carrot...

It whistled pop goes the weasel so perfectly... the whole song. It was truly amazing.

The reason it loved carrot was, this man had his whole backyard fenced in with rabbits and guinea pigs running around on the ground. The Twenty-eight used to help himself to their food to.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 10:41 am 

Joined: October 4th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Posts: 41385
caskur wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
I doubt they would make good pets.


I had an escaped one fly into my Jacaranda tree. I coaxed down with a bowl sun flower seeds. It came straight to me and I walked inside with it. I had it for 9 months before I rang a talkback radio show and that lead to finding the owner...

The bird loved raw carrot...

It whistled pop goes the weasel so perfectly... the whole song. It was truly amazing.

The reason it loved carrot was, this man had his whole backyard fenced in with rabbits and guinea pigs running around on the ground. The Twenty-eight used to help himself to their food to.

I would imagine if one got one born in captivity, it would make a terrific pet.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 10:45 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 10th, 2016, 5:14 pm
Posts: 3536
Fashionista wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
I doubt they would make good pets.

Why do you say that?

They seem like they would become domesticated easily.


These sort of birds live for decades...

All birds are great when they are young but like everything, they eventually like to pair up and breed... If they don't have a partner, they eventually become frustrated and nasty.

I'm with Bricktop on this issue.

I really enjoy visiting the picnic area of the dam and feeding the wild birds a top-up, but I don't have to worry about keeping cages clean and getting fresh water and putting them to bed at night.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 11:08 am 

Joined: October 4th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Posts: 41385
caskur wrote:
Fashionista wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
I doubt they would make good pets.

Why do you say that?

They seem like they would become domesticated easily.


These sort of birds live for decades...

All birds are great when they are young but like everything, they eventually like to pair up and breed... If they don't have a partner, they eventually become frustrated and nasty.

I'm with Bricktop on this issue.

I really enjoy visiting the picnic area of the dam and feeding the wild birds a top-up, but I don't have to worry about keeping cages clean and getting fresh water and putting them to bed at night.

Parrots seem to do well as pets here.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 11:24 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 10th, 2016, 5:14 pm
Posts: 3536
Getting them straight out of the nest is definitely the best...

I wrote out a post and lost it taking too much time trying to find this...VVV


I think I've posted it before but I can't remember.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 11:31 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 10th, 2016, 5:14 pm
Posts: 3536
Bricktop wrote:
A fairy wren...it's not mating season so no vivid blue feathers...

Image


There is no Blue Feathers for that one because it a female

However if that is a Lovely Fairy-wren, they turn blue and have black beaks like their male mates.


But all other female fairy-wren have orange beaks.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 2:20 pm 

Joined: October 4th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Posts: 41385
caskur wrote:
Getting them straight out of the nest is definitely the best...

I wrote out a post and lost it taking too much time trying to find this...VVV


I think I've posted it before but I can't remember.

What type of parrot is that?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 9:05 pm 
User avatar

Joined: November 10th, 2016, 5:14 pm
Posts: 3536
Fashionista wrote:
caskur wrote:
Getting them straight out of the nest is definitely the best...

I wrote out a post and lost it taking too much time trying to find this...VVV


I think I've posted it before but I can't remember.

What type of parrot is that?


WA Pink and Grey Galah

Very very common...


http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species ... eicapillus


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 2nd, 2019, 9:06 pm 
User avatar

Joined: November 10th, 2016, 5:14 pm
Posts: 3536
I've been hacked.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 4th, 2019, 11:14 pm 
User avatar

Joined: April 24th, 2015, 7:57 pm
Posts: 24637
Spring is springing...which means the kestrels are up and about...

Image

_________________
Just because I don't agree with you, it does not mean I hate you


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 5th, 2019, 1:35 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 10th, 2016, 5:14 pm
Posts: 3536
Nice capture.

All I got was a Scarlet Robin and plenty of Blurds....lol


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 5th, 2019, 2:59 am 

Joined: October 4th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Posts: 41385
caskur wrote:
Nice capture.

All I got was a Scarlet Robin and plenty of Blurds....lol

Such a pretty blue colour.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 5th, 2019, 4:04 am 
User avatar

Joined: November 10th, 2016, 5:14 pm
Posts: 3536
Fashionista wrote:
caskur wrote:
Nice capture.

All I got was a Scarlet Robin and plenty of Blurds....lol

Such a pretty blue colour.


Very very vivid.

I'm going back to that spot.

Maybe tomorrow.

It's Wildflower season again...


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 5th, 2019, 3:55 pm 

Joined: October 4th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Posts: 41385
I've never seen anything like them.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 5th, 2019, 6:17 pm 
User avatar

Joined: November 10th, 2016, 5:14 pm
Posts: 3536
Fashionista wrote:
I've never seen anything like them.


I might start another thread about WA wildflowers.

At the moment we're doing plenty of road trips. I'm going on one within the next hour.

It's wildflower season and we're known globally for our diversity however it's drastically shrinking.

I saw on the news people in Alaska are fighting a road going through an Alaskan forest. I do hope they win the fight. I am bloody well sick and tired of arseholes wrecking what is left of old growth areas. Australian land vandals being right up there with the worst of the worst.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 5th, 2019, 6:21 pm 

Joined: October 4th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Posts: 41385
caskur wrote:
Fashionista wrote:
I've never seen anything like them.


I might start another thread about WA wildflowers.

At the moment we're doing plenty of road trips. I'm going on one within the next hour.

It's wildflower season and we're known globally for our diversity however it's drastically shrinking.

I saw on the news people in Alaska are fighting a road going through an Alaskan forest. I do hope they win the fight. I am bloody well sick and tired of arseholes wrecking what is left of old growth areas. Australian land vandals being right up there with the worst of the worst.

I look forward to the pictures caskur.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 5th, 2019, 7:36 pm 
User avatar

Joined: April 24th, 2015, 7:57 pm
Posts: 24637
Male kestrel (the one above is brown...and therefore female. Males are grey/white)

Image

_________________
Just because I don't agree with you, it does not mean I hate you


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 6th, 2019, 4:31 am 

Joined: October 4th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Posts: 41385
Bricktop wrote:
Male kestrel (the one above is brown...and therefore female. Males are grey/white)

Image

All birds of prey are beautiful..

They look different from hawks and eagles.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Australian Birds
Unread postPosted: September 6th, 2019, 3:29 pm 
User avatar

Joined: April 24th, 2015, 7:57 pm
Posts: 24637
The kestrels tend to feed on insects rather than animals.

_________________
Just because I don't agree with you, it does not mean I hate you


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1381 posts ]  Go to page Previous 165 66 67 68 69 70 Next

All times are UTC-08:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
phpBB SEO
[ GZIP: On ]