It is currently December 12th, 2019, 12:49 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Unread postPosted: September 18th, 2019, 3:02 pm 

Quote:
The son of German immigrants to the Middle East, he was born in 1940 in what was then called 'British Mandated Palestine' or 'British Mandatory Palestine'.

“For all my life I’ve been told by my parents that I was born in Palestine, I have a birth certificate headed ‘Government of Palestine’ which states I was born in Jaffa, Palestine,” Mr Frank, now 79, tells SBS News.

He was naturalised by Australia in 1952, but when he went to renew his Australian passport last year he was shocked to find on the application his place of birth had been automatically recorded as ‘unspecified’.

The form had been filled in automatically and ‘unspecified’ was typed in the place which had previously stated the ancient city of ‘Jaffa, Palestine’ on his past applications.

“To me, it was an offence against my dignity and my rights,” he says.

The Australian government today does not recognise the ‘Palestine government’ and does not recognise the territories of the West Bank and Gaza as a state.

No compensation or legal fees were awarded, meaning Mr Frank, who represented himself, was not out of pocket, and taxpayers picked up the bill for DFAT’s representation in the six-month legal battle.

His official place of birth on government documents will now be recorded as ‘Jaffa, British Mandated Palestine’.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/exclusive-australian-man-wins-court-battle-to-reinstate-place-of-birth-on-his-passport

Congrats, Aussies. Through your taxes you are now history teachers to the bureaucrats of your country.

Unread postPosted: September 18th, 2019, 5:35 pm 

Peaches wrote:
Quote:
The son of German immigrants to the Middle East, he was born in 1940 in what was then called 'British Mandated Palestine' or 'British Mandatory Palestine'.

“For all my life I’ve been told by my parents that I was born in Palestine, I have a birth certificate headed ‘Government of Palestine’ which states I was born in Jaffa, Palestine,” Mr Frank, now 79, tells SBS News.

He was naturalised by Australia in 1952, but when he went to renew his Australian passport last year he was shocked to find on the application his place of birth had been automatically recorded as ‘unspecified’.

The form had been filled in automatically and ‘unspecified’ was typed in the place which had previously stated the ancient city of ‘Jaffa, Palestine’ on his past applications.

“To me, it was an offence against my dignity and my rights,” he says.

The Australian government today does not recognise the ‘Palestine government’ and does not recognise the territories of the West Bank and Gaza as a state.

No compensation or legal fees were awarded, meaning Mr Frank, who represented himself, was not out of pocket, and taxpayers picked up the bill for DFAT’s representation in the six-month legal battle.

His official place of birth on government documents will now be recorded as ‘Jaffa, British Mandated Palestine’.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/exclusive-australian-man-wins-court-battle-to-reinstate-place-of-birth-on-his-passport

Congrats, Aussies. Through your taxes you are now history teachers to the bureaucrats of your country.

He is probably Jewish.