Replies: 10551
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:15:13 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Got to hand it to them Yanquis

Started by Bricktop, November 26, 2018, 07:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

They may be a pain in the ass on Earth, but they sure know how to work in space.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46351114">//https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46351114

Another robot lands on Mars. This one is almost a complete research lab.

To launch a vehicle from Earth, fly all the way to Mars, land and start analysing and researching the planet's surface is an amazing feat.

I was born in 1951, and our town was located near an airforce base (most English towns were...it's a small island), and we would marvel at great propeller driven planes that flew over us.

Wonder turned to astonishment, as very fast jets began appearing in the sky above us, breaking the sound barrier.

Now we're on Mars. My grandkids are going to witness some wondrous things in their lifetime.

cc

Agreed. Exciting stuff

I stayed up all night for the first moon landing ...  crunching anxiety as the lander portion (with 2 people in it) got near and put its rockets on  to slow down ... then off with feet to go .. short free fall ... waiting / hoping to hear the voice again

One would have thought they could have scheduled  "the film" for a better time  :wink:  :wink:
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Bricktop

Not at all...12.30pm here in Oz. Front row seats at lunchtime.

It was our comms system they were using anyway.

cc

Yes, aware of that  ... they used Aussie stations a lot for moon missions
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"They may be a pain in the ass on Earth, but they sure know how to work in space.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46351114">//https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46351114

To launch a vehicle from Earth, fly all the way to Mars, land and start analysing and researching the planet's surface is an amazing feat.

I was born in 1951, and our town was located near an airforce base (most English towns were...it's a small island), and we would marvel at great propeller driven planes that flew over us.

Wonder turned to astonishment, as very fast jets began appearing in the sky above us, breaking the sound barrier.

Now we're on Mars. My grandkids are going to witness some wondrous things in their lifetime.

It sure is Bricktop.

Gaon

Quote from: "Bricktop"They may be a pain in the ass on Earth, but they sure know how to work in space.

It took 205 days, but it got there.
The Russian Rock It

JOE

Good fer them BT!

With the world's population exploding & the the dilapidated environment fewer and less ta go around, I'd rather not be around when yer grandkids reach their middle aged years.

I don't think itll be very good for them.

Best time is the one we're livin in and is sure to disappear within the next 50 years BT.

Enjoy it while ya got it and its still here, mate.

Bricktop

Joe, there have been good times and bad times throughout human history.

They'll work it out.

Anonymous

Quotedilapidated environment fewer and less ta go around,

I thought it was getting better in the developed world and there is more to go around..

I was in Vancouver recently and I thought it wasn't dilapidated.....maybe it's just JOE's neighbourhood.

:laugh:

JOE

Quote from: "Fashionista"

I thought it was getting better in the developed world and there is more to go around..

I was in Vancouver recently and I thought it wasn't dilapidated.....maybe it's just JOE's neighbourhood.

Even if there is a statistical improvement in the living standards, with an exploding population & finite resources its not sustainable fashionista.

Theyre gonna hit a brick wall at some point

Anonymous

Quote from: "JOE"

Even if there is a statistical improvement in the living standards, with an exploding population & finite resources its not sustainable fashionista.

They've been saying that for centuries..

We're still here and our quality of life is still improving..

We'll get a little more crowded, that's all..

But, I'm from crowded Taiwan, I'm used to it.

JOE

Well if thats the case its sure gonna be a shittier quality if life than with the one we've been used to eh

Anonymous

Well if thats the case its sure gonna be a shittier quality if life than with the one we've been used to eh

We might not all be able to own a detached home with a yard in Canadian cities if our population reaches one hundred million..

Smaller accommodations is not the end of the world.

Odinson

Socks..

You still mad about the government switching to metric system?

Nasa uses metric.

Gaon

Quote from: "Odinson"Socks..

You still mad about the government switching to metric system?

Nasa uses metric.

Australia made the switch a very long time ago.
The Russian Rock It