Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Death.

Started by Bricktop, December 06, 2018, 07:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

I had a rather disconcerting evening yesterday.

A friend who runs a real estate business held his annual Xmas party for customers and clients and we trotted along.

I ran into a former colleague from my constabulary days, who recently retired. And one young woman in her early 20's who recently resigned after only a few years service, and is now on anti-depressants, and was clearly affected by mental illness.

He told me of so many former colleagues, some younger than I, who are no longer alive. Suicides and heart attacks seemed to be the primary means of despatch.

I trained with some of these guys, and worked alongside others. So many have not survived...and some that did suffered serious illnesses that could only be associated with stress and probably alcohol abuse. The young woman was so young, and so affected by her experiences.

It was a sobering moment.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"I had a rather disconcerting evening yesterday.

A friend who runs a real estate business held his annual Xmas party for customers and clients and we trotted along.

I ran into a former colleague from my constabulary days, who recently retired. And one young woman in her early 20's who recently resigned after only a few years service, and is now on anti-depressants, and was clearly affected by mental illness.

He told me of so many former colleagues, some younger than I, who are no longer alive. Suicides and heart attacks seemed to be the primary means of despatch.

I trained with some of these guys, and worked alongside others. So many have not survived...and some that did suffered serious illnesses that could only be associated with stress and probably alcohol abuse. The young woman was so young, and so affected by her experiences.

I'll bet it was a sobering moment. I wonder what the lifespan of cops is.

Bricktop

These guys were in the low 60's...one died of a heart attack at around 65.

One hung himself in April. He was a first grade football player, and a decorated detective. He'd retired months beforehand.

We went through training together.

Blazor

Quote from: "Bricktop"

One hung himself in April. He was a first grade football player, and a decorated detective. He'd retired months beforehand.

Wow, Im only 30 some pages into Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King, and it was talking exactly about this. How once retired, the lonelier ones, commit suicide, feeling like they have no duty to uphold or some shit.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"

Wow, Im only 30 some pages into Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King, and it was talking exactly about this. How once retired, the lonelier ones, commit suicide, feeling like they have no duty to uphold or some shit.

These men and women see some awful things and have to deal with two-legged animals.

Blazor

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Blazor"

These men and women see some awful things and have to deal with two-legged animals.

Oh I know. I use to be a jr. police cadet LONG ago. Plus I know out of what I seen on the internet aint the half of what they endure.

Bricktop

And it affects many of them deeply. I think I was one of the fortunate ones. Whilst I experienced high levels of stress on occassion, I seemed to handle them OK.

But, my decision to move on was in part motivated by the clear acceptance that another 30 odd years of this wasn't going to make me happy.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"And it affects many of them deeply. I think I was one of the fortunate ones. Whilst I experienced high levels of stress on occassion, I seemed to handle them OK.

But, my decision to move on was in part motivated by the clear acceptance that another 30 odd years of this wasn't going to make me happy.

It's a tough job.

Bricktop

There are none tougher.

cc

QuoteThere are none tougher.

and as you demonstrate, can take its toll

Quote from: "Blazor"Wow, Im only 30 some pages into Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King, and it was talking exactly about this. How once retired, the lonelier ones, commit suicide, feeling like they have no duty to uphold or some shit.

Not meaning to derail a serious topic, but we watched the entire series .. wowzers, that retired detective had quite a retirement

One of the very TV best shows or movies I have ever seen .. seemed he was headed for trouble, drinking etc ... only the continuing psycho gave him reason to  stay OK
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

And it hits home with me too Bricktop..

My younger brother is a policeman.

Bricktop

One must be very careful not to confuse fact and fiction; there is no circumstance under which a retired officer would be permitted to engage in a criminal investigation. However, the premise of a retired officer struggling to deal with life after a lifetime of criminal investigation is very, very real. Even moreso these days, it seems. The distorted perception that they are impotent and offer nothing to society once retired is a terrible mental affliction.

I knew these people. They were good guys, with families including grandchildren...yet nothing could replace the intoxicating addiction to solving serious crimes. The corrosive nature of police work left them empty and detached from reality.

I know that Police Departments are not unaware of this issue, and are looking to do more to help those who suffer much as ex-military officers do. The experience of lethal trauma and the inhumanity of humanity is devastating to some.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"One must be very careful not to confuse fact and fiction; there is no circumstance under which a retired officer would be permitted to engage in a criminal investigation. However, the premise of a retired officer struggling to deal with life after a lifetime of criminal investigation is very, very real. Even moreso these days, it seems. The distorted perception that they are impotent and offer nothing to society once retired is a terrible mental affliction.

I knew these people. They were good guys, with families including grandchildren...yet nothing could replace the intoxicating addiction to solving serious crimes. The corrosive nature of police work left them empty and detached from reality.

I know that Police Departments are not unaware of this issue, and are looking to do more to help those who suffer much as ex-military officers do. The experience of lethal trauma and the inhumanity of humanity is devastating to some.

That's something only a policeman could understand.

JOE

I'm sorry to hear about your colleagues & friends, BT.

Would this be a fitting tribute to the fallen?

">

Blazor

Quote from: "cc"
Not meaning to derail a serious topic, but we watched the entire series .. wowzers, that retired detective had quite a retirement

One of the very TV best shows or movies I have ever seen .. seemed he was headed for trouble, drinking etc ... only the continuing psycho gave him reason to  stay OK

Wait, its a tv series!?