The best topic

Replies: 10392
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:39:50 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

My languages

Started by Gaon, December 25, 2018, 09:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

feral

First language is Finnish...then english.

Anonymous

Quote from: "feral"First language is Finnish...then english.

We have a poster here from Finland.

Anonymous

Both my wife and I can speak Spanish.

Bricktop

Ay, caramba...are you from Spanish backgrounds?

Odinson

Mistä päin oot kotosin?

feral

Quote from: "Odinson"

Mistä päin oot kotosin?

lol... online translator?

To answer your question.. I was born in Viitasaari.

Moved to Australia with my parents in the early 70's when Australia was still paying for immigrants with a trade to come over and populate.

Odinson

Quote from: "feral"

Mistä päin oot kotosin?

Moved to Australia with my parents in the early 70's when Australia was still paying for immigrants with a trade to come over and populate.

Höpö höpö en mie mitää translaattoria tarvi..

Mie oon tän palstan tunnetuin lappilainen.

I´m a finn living in lapland, Finland..

Can you still speak finnish like a finnish person or do you have an accent?

Anonymous

Mistä päin oot kotosin?

I didn't know Australia did that at one time.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Ay, caramba...are you from Spanish backgrounds?

Neither of us are. I am mostly of German descent with some Japanese and Scottish thrown in. My wife is of German and Irish origin.

We both decided to study Spanish since we travel so frequently to Spanish speaking countries and we will live in a Spanish speaking country in five years and three months.

Frood

The best way to learn a language is by buying one way plane tickets and doing very little pre-study. Learn some basics by all means but expect your learning to grow fluidly when you're in the deep end and your mind has no choice but to learn fast and retain.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"The best way to learn a language is by buying one way plane tickets and doing very little pre-study. Learn some basics by all means but expect your learning to grow fluidly when you're in the deep end and your mind has no choice but to learn fast and retain.

Is that how you learned English when you emigrated from America?

Bricktop

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Mistä päin oot kotosin?

Assisted migration. During the 1950's, the Australian government realised that it had a massive skill shortage that was severely limiting development, particularly in housing and infrastructure.

So it implemented a program of attracting migrants by subsidising their fare...adults paid 10 pounds each, children free. The government set up employment agencies in its consulates throughout Europe, and employers could flag the trades they required with these agencies, who would then match applicants with existing positions, so that migrants had a guaranteed job on arrival.

Migrants had to stay in the country for 2 years. If they chose to return to their homeland they had to repay the Australian Government the full cost of their passage.

The government initiated a program of advertising throughout Europe, enticing people to a young and "lucky" country.

Hindsight has judged this advertising program as extremely disingenuous in some respects. Many migrants did return to their homeland after discovering Australia was far from the sundrenched Utopia it was portrayed to be. It was decades behind the rest of the developed first world, and lived off trade with England and British corporations who paid no tax.

However, enough migrants stayed to turn the tide of decline...particularly British production workers, Italian and Greek builders, German winemakers, and many other European nationalities familiar with working in large civil engineering projects.

Australia also managed to avoid many of the difficulties multiculturalism created...ghettos, nationally based conflicts, divided communties and poor integration. I suspect this is because it was so young and immature as a country, that there was a sense that no-one one group dominated any other and unity would indeed create a new and better country than the one they left.

So everyone pulled together. Because much of the population were working class, Australia avoided the class structures of old Europe and became egalitarian to a fault. Even now, if you put on an air of superiority, you are quickly reminded that although you may be a world class neurosurgeon, you are no better than the driver of your taxi...so show some respect.

For many years, Australia was a very junior member of the Western democratic faction and tended to cower before other, larger and stronger nations. These days, not so much.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

Mistä päin oot kotosin?

Assisted migration. During the 1950's, the Australian government realised that it had a massive skill shortage that was severely limiting development, particularly in housing and infrastructure.

So it implemented a program of attracting migrants by subsidising their fare...adults paid 10 pounds each, children free. The government set up employment agencies in its consulates throughout Europe, and employers could flag the trades they required with these agencies, who would then match applicants with existing positions, so that migrants had a guaranteed job on arrival.

Migrants had to stay in the country for 2 years. If they chose to return to their homeland they had to repay the Australian Government the full cost of their passage.

The government initiated a program of advertising throughout Europe, enticing people to a young and "lucky" country.

Hindsight has judged this advertising program as extremely disingenuous in some respects. Many migrants did return to their homeland after discovering Australia was far from the sundrenched Utopia it was portrayed to be. It was decades behind the rest of the developed first world, and lived off trade with England and British corporations who paid no tax.

However, enough migrants stayed to turn the tide of decline...particularly British production workers, Italian and Greek builders, German winemakers, and many other European nationalities familiar with working in large civil engineering projects.

Australia also managed to avoid many of the difficulties multiculturalism created...ghettos, nationally based conflicts, divided communties and poor integration. I suspect this is because it was so young and immature as a country, that there was a sense that no-one one group dominated any other and unity would indeed create a new and better country than the one they left.

So everyone pulled together. Because much of the population were working class, Australia avoided the class structures of old Europe and became egalitarian to a fault. Even now, if you put on an air of superiority, you are quickly reminded that although you may be a world class neurosurgeon, you are no better than the driver of your taxi...so show some respect.

For many years, Australia was a very junior member of the Western democratic faction and tended to cower before other, larger and stronger nations. These days, not so much.

Thank you ambassador Bricktop.

:laugh:

Odinson

I hear the australian mining industry pays the plane ticket and housing for finnish mining workers..

I have a buddy whos thinking about moving to Australia... And in there he is gonna train the australians to use some piece of mining tech.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"I hear the australian mining industry pays the plane ticket and housing for finnish mining workers..

I have a buddy whos thinking about moving to Australia... And in there he is gonna train the australians to use some piece of mining tech.

Probably only the most skilled and experienced ones.