The best topic

Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Two sociologists detail ‘The Rise of Victimhood Culture’ - and how it’s used for social control

Started by cc, January 05, 2019, 03:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

https://www.thecollegefix.com/two-sociologists-detail-the-rise-of-victimhood-culture-and-how-its-used-for-social-control/">In 2014, Bradley Campbell and Jason Manning, associate professors of sociology at Cal State Los Angeles and West Virginia University, respectively, published a scholarly article titled "Microaggression and Moral Cultures" that detailed the rise of a "victimhood culture."

Sure enough, a paper that discussed microaggressions in what many perceived as a negative light was denounced as — wait for it — a microaggression.

Critics took umbrage to their "victimhood" terminology, with one reader calling their paper "tenuous and capricious" and that it "[size=120]is itself a microaggression," actually "closer to a real aggression." [/size]

In 2015, the two sociologists filed a solicited op-ed to the online magazine TechCrunch titled "Microaggressions and the Moralistic Internet." The editor they worked with initially praised the column, telling them it would run soon. A month later he told the two professors their column was spiked.

While the term "victimhood culture" was not coined by the two scholars, they write in their book that they have uniquely classified it as "a moral culture distinct from honor and dignity cultures."

The two approach the topic with a dispassionate and scholarly tone in their nearly 300-page book, but it's clear their take on the subject has riled feathers, with some peers arguing terms such as honor and dignity have positive connotations while victimhood does not.

"Our terminology is intended to help describe what is going on, not to praise or condemn it," they write as a rebuttal.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"https://www.thecollegefix.com/two-sociologists-detail-the-rise-of-victimhood-culture-and-how-its-used-for-social-control/">In 2014, Bradley Campbell and Jason Manning, associate professors of sociology at Cal State Los Angeles and West Virginia University, respectively, published a scholarly article titled "Microaggression and Moral Cultures" that detailed the rise of a "victimhood culture."

Sure enough, a paper that discussed microaggressions in what many perceived as a negative light was denounced as — wait for it — a microaggression.

Critics took umbrage to their "victimhood" terminology, with one reader calling their paper "tenuous and capricious" and that it "[size=120]is itself a microaggression," actually "closer to a real aggression." [/size]

In 2015, the two sociologists filed a solicited op-ed to the online magazine TechCrunch titled "Microaggressions and the Moralistic Internet." The editor they worked with initially praised the column, telling them it would run soon. A month later he told the two professors their column was spiked.

While the term "victimhood culture" was not coined by the two scholars, they write in their book that they have uniquely classified it as "a moral culture distinct from honor and dignity cultures."

The two approach the topic with a dispassionate and scholarly tone in their nearly 300-page book, but it's clear their take on the subject has riled feathers, with some peers arguing terms such as honor and dignity have positive connotations while victimhood does not.

"Our terminology is intended to help describe what is going on, not to praise or condemn it," they write as a rebuttal.

Very interesting cc..

I've long thought this was happening in our society..

Now I know it wasn't my imagination.

Gaon

Quote"victimhood culture" was not coined by the two scholars, they write in their book that they have uniquely classified it as "a moral culture distinct from honor and dignity cultures."

That is so true and so pervasive where I live.

And what a shock they were spiked from social media.
The Russian Rock It

cc

Beyond "shock" for me  ... I was Stunned!! .. Stunned I say!!

"actually closer to a real aggression" :roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Beyond "shock" for me  ... I was Stunned!! .. Stunned I say!!

I am always calm. Must be the swish.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

That's your secret is it.

:laugh:

Bricktop

Try this one then.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-aquzw1tV5Gg%2FUhr-C0P_lVI%2FAAAAAAAACn8%2FaBaoCjTb_kA%2Fs1600%2FSWISH%2BFINAL%2BALCOHOL%2BFREE%2BLOGO.jpg&f=1">

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

You are an inspiration to everyone.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"https://www.thecollegefix.com/two-sociologists-detail-the-rise-of-victimhood-culture-and-how-its-used-for-social-control/">In 2014, Bradley Campbell and Jason Manning, associate professors of sociology at Cal State Los Angeles and West Virginia University, respectively, published a scholarly article titled "Microaggression and Moral Cultures" that detailed the rise of a "victimhood culture."

Calling microaggressions, microaggressions is a microaggression possibly a real aggression. ac_toofunny

cc

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Try this one then.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-aquzw1tV5Gg%2FUhr-C0P_lVI%2FAAAAAAAACn8%2FaBaoCjTb_kA%2Fs1600%2FSWISH%2BFINAL%2BALCOHOL%2BFREE%2BLOGO.jpg&f=1">

:laugh: