Quote from: "Bricktop"She just dropped by to say hi.  ac_hithere

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7871/32675225568_9326966e7c_z.jpg">

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"She just dropped by to say hi.  ac_hithere

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7871/32675225568_9326966e7c_z.jpg">

That looks like a big one.

Bricktop

She is about average...koalas are quite large at full size.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"She is about average...koalas are quite large at full size.

I just looked it up and they can weigh fifteen kilograms.

Bricktop

And she would be around that weight I think.

She's a fully grown adult.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"And she would be around that weight I think.

She's a fully grown adult.

That's a very large animal to be living in a tree.

Bricktop

If you look closely, you'll see she anchors herself at four points...it was a windy day, and the tree was swaying a lot...(hence the rather ordinary photo). They also have amazing balance and wedge themselves into branch forks to remain stable. They are highly agile for their size as well. (You remember the shots of the mother and baby flying between branches).

Like many of our critters, they are unique and rather strange.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"If you look closely, you'll see she anchors herself at four points...it was a windy day, and the tree was swaying a lot...(hence the rather ordinary photo). They also have amazing balance and wedge themselves into branch forks to remain stable. They are highly agile for their size as well. (You remember the shots of the mother and baby flying between branches).

Like many of our critters, they are unique and rather strange.

Are they continent wide or just in certain areas of Australia. I know Kangaroo Island has a high concentration of them.

Bricktop

Mainly on the east coast around to south east coastline as far as South Australia.

Not in the north or west, or Tasmania. It is believed they were hunted to extinction in Tasmania.

Kangaroo Island has a concentrated population that the Government intended to cull until the people said "no".

They only eat certain gum leaves...and those gums don't grow in most of Australia.

I never saw a koala in the wild, so to speak, until I was 40 odd. Certainly saw none as a kid.

We live in the hills surrounding Adelaide, where they are most common here in South Australia. Its cool to see them so close to suburbs.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Mainly on the east coast around to south east coastline as far as South Australia.

Not in the north or west, or Tasmania. It is believed they were hunted to extinction in Tasmania.

Kangaroo Island has a concentrated population that the Government intended to cull until the people said "no".

They only eat certain gum leaves...and those gums don't grow in most of Australia.

I never saw a koala in the wild, so to speak, until I was 40 odd. Certainly saw none as a kid.

We live in the hills surrounding Adelaide, where they are most common here in South Australia. Its cool to see them so close to suburbs.

It would be fantastic to see them in the wild or in your yard.

Frood

I had one try to get into my tent along the Lower Glenelg River a year and a bit ago. Didn't want to take no for an answer. Took a couple swipes at my head near the entrance before I realized it was right there.

Had a can of Coke in there. It was raining and I was reading a book. Probably wanted to get in from the wet and have a sugary drink.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "Bricktop"Mainly on the east coast around to south east coastline as far as South Australia.

It would be fantastic to see them in the wild or in your yard.

It is a buzz. I admit getting excited when one visits.

Anonymous

I thought they ate eucalyptus leaves.