The best topic

Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Saudi woman granted refugee status.

Started by Bricktop, January 09, 2019, 01:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Gaon

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"
Quote from: "Gaon"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"She speaks English as her only other language so I don't mind her wanting to flee to an English speaking country like Australia. Renouncing religion and demanding free will for women in the Middle East are dangerous concepts. She was completely right planning her escape.

My immediate suspicion is that she is being used by her male family members/owners to aid in their migration to Australia.

I thought that too but she's too high profile now to be of any use for them.

I don't think they care. If the media in Australia is anything like they are in Canada, they won't report on anything dubious after she arrives in Australia.
The Russian Rock It

Gaon

Quote from: "JOE"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"She speaks English as her only other language so I don't mind her wanting to flee to an English speaking country like Australia. Renouncing religion and demanding free will for women in the Middle East are dangerous concepts. She was completely right planning her escape.

My immediate suspicion is that she is being used by her male family members/owners to aid in their migration to Australia.

I met some Palestinian guy who renounced Islam, moved to America & became a Christian.

Now he has a bodyguard.

Somehow I don't think that Islam takes apostasy lightly

Is that true?

What do you think?
The Russian Rock It

Frood

I don't think they care. If the media in Australia is anything like they are in Canada, they won't report on anything dubious after she arrives in Australia.

Australians must not be like Canadians then. If a young woman renounces a forced religion and abusive family to get refugee status here and expects people to ignore the same family following behind her one day, they shouldn't have picked this country.
Blahhhhhh...

Gaon

Australians must not be like Canadians then. If a young woman renounces a forced religion and abusive family to get refugee status here and expects people to ignore the same family following behind her one day, they shouldn't have picked this country.

Australia is consistent with respect for the equality of women. That's encouraging. I am learning more about the prime minister here and the more I read about him, the more I dislike him. He thinks Islam can do no wrong.
The Russian Rock It

Anonymous

If any group of people meet the definition of refugee, it's women from Saudi Arabia.

Bricktop

She will be a media superstar...especially in women's magazines.

However, the muslim community will probably go nuts for a day or two.

Care factor = 0.

Gaon

Quote from: "Bricktop"

Care factor = 0.

They may feign anger for show.
The Russian Rock It

JOE

What happens when a Muslim decides to leave Islam:

">

caskur

Care factor = 0.

Yeah, which just goes to show even those people can't be themselves and stand up to their holy men.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"

Care factor = 0.

Yeah, which just goes to show even those people can't be themselves and stand up to their holy men.

I don't think Saudi Arabia tolerates any 'standing up'.

caskur

She denounced the evil death cult...

pin a medal on her chest and put her in the witness protection program.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"She denounced the evil death cult...

If she did that, she may need protection.

JOE

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Then she ought to convert to US brand of Christianity, marry some guy in the Christian militia, move ta JesusLand & hole up in some barricaded fortress in Texas.

That should keep 'er safe.

Anonymous

Quote from: "JOE"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

Then she ought to convert to US brand of Christianity, marry some guy in the Christian militia, move ta JesusLand & hole up in some barricaded fortress in Texas.

That should keep 'er safe.

:001_rolleyes:

Anonymous

Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun says she was fleeing an abusive home in Saudi Arabia and planning to make her way to Australia when she was stopped in a Bangkok airport and detained by authorities who planned to return her to her family.

But now the 18-year-old is under UN protection in Thailand and seeking asylum, stating her family punished her for things as minor as cutting her hair and she wants to leave them, her country, and her islamic religion.

Mohammed had been held by authorities in an airport hotel room while they awaited her father, but she barricaded herself inside and took to social media to broadcast live updates of her ordeal. She made direct appeals to people around the world, including Toronto Sun columnist Tarek Fatah, who spun into action and advocated for the young woman.

"Fortunately, the pressure of ordinary citizens using social media saved the life of rahaf mohammed al-Qunun who is today free and may soon be in Canada as our beloved fellow citizen, sister and daughter," Fatah wrote in his latest column.

It now seems more likely that she will be granted refugee status in Australia after all, but Canada was her other request.

"I want Canada to give me asylum!" she tweeted during what was the late hours of monday night here in Canada.

While the particulars of her story are unconfirmed, mohammed certainly seems a model case for refugee status. She renounced islam, which is punishable by death in Saudi Arabia.

Likewise the case of Asia Bibi, who faced violent protests after being acquitted of blasphemy in Pakistan after initially having been sentenced to death. The Christian woman had faced unsubstantiated accusations of insulting the Prophet mohammad and the Quran.

Foreign Affairs minister Chrystia Freeland was right to speak out in Bibi's defence and say we would do what we could for her. At present, Bibi is apparently still in Pakistan but in a safe place.

These are just two examples of individuals who face imprisonment, punishment and even death because of their beliefs or lifestyles, and Canada does and should continue to welcome those fleeing intolerance, oppression and harm.

That doesn't mean our border is meaningless. it means we must use our hearts and our heads when offering sanctuary to those in need.