Replies: 10400
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Rock band holding out in a wave of anti rock

Started by Frood, January 22, 2019, 08:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berry Sweet

They need to bring better music back.  Enough with the mumble no talent rap.  The younger generation thinks it's amazing cause it's all they know.

Need more bands and alternative....some actual lyrics and singing...I was in a funky mood yesterday listening to this:

">

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Bricktop"Prog rock has a more sweeping, textured and symphonic sound, often featuring a lot of synths and keyboards with a lot of changed tempos, pitches and chords.

Classic rock has a simpler chord structure, with traditional verse and chorus.

Is Rush classic rock or prog rock?

Prog.

">

Note the chord and tempo changes, heavy instrumentation, synth intro, and a more flowing and complex song structure than chorus - verse - chorus with a bridge.
Wicked tune.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Peaches"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Peaches"
Quote from: "Fashionista"What's the difference?

Inasmuch as progressive rock was a creature of the late sixties, the "prog" label is a bit outdated for my taste.  Alternative labels such as art rock, symphonic rock, and even classic rock are probably preferable although I personally think classic rock is an overly broad category that also includes rock from the fifties and early sixties that doesn't fit better in other categories like rockabilly, doo-wop, etc.

I'm lost Peaches..

How would you classify Rush?

It's complicated, but only a little.  I respect all three of them but have never been much of a fan of the band.  In the beginning they were rockers with a blues feel.  From the mid seventies til around 1990 they were more art rock, morphing in the mid eighties to symphonic rock.  After 1990 they simplified to a more organic hard rock sound, which lasted until their disbandment a year or two ago.

Led Zeppelin may be regarded as many as one of the classic hard rock bands, and they're probably right.

But "Stairway to Heaven" and "Kashmir" lean more to prog.

Jethro Tull, a fairly atypical rock band recorded what is regarded as one of prog rocks finest hours, with "Thick As A Brick".

They then won some music award for Best Heavy Metal Album. Ahead, I think, of Metallica.

Black Sabbath were the genesis of hard rock/heavy metal...yet many fans hated this tune

">

because they believed Sabbath had turned soft.

During the Golden Age, bands would go out of their way to create music that defied categorisation, thus creating new categories.

Frood

Muse has been doing that sort of music category defiance since they started in the 90's.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Anonymous

I don't know if Rainbow is considered prog rock or not, but I liked Ronnie James Dio's vocals.

">

Print
User actions