Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Rock band holding out in a wave of anti rock

Started by Frood, January 22, 2019, 08:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frood

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxKHVMqMZqUTgHYRSXfZN_JjItBzVTCau">
... jItBzVTCau">https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxKHVMqMZqUTgHYRSXfZN_JjItBzVTCau

God bless them.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Prog rock shall never die.

Can you give an example of prog rock?

Bricktop

">

Anonymous

">

Another term for classic rock.

Bricktop

">

Anonymous

Bricktop

Prog rock has a more sweeping, textured and symphonic sound, often featuring a lot of synths and keyboards with a lot of changed tempos, pitches and chords.

Classic rock has a simpler chord structure, with traditional verse and chorus.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Prog rock has a more sweeping, textured and symphonic sound, often featuring a lot of synths and keyboards with a lot of changed tempos, pitches and chords.

Is Rush classic rock or prog rock?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"What's the difference?

Inasmuch as progressive rock was a creature of the late sixties, the "prog" label is a bit outdated for my taste.  Alternative labels such as art rock, symphonic rock, and even classic rock are probably preferable although I personally think classic rock is an overly broad category that also includes rock from the fifties and early sixties that doesn't fit better in other categories like rockabilly, doo-wop, etc.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peaches"

Inasmuch as progressive rock was a creature of the late sixties, the "prog" label is a bit outdated for my taste.  Alternative labels such as art rock, symphonic rock, and even classic rock are probably preferable although I personally think classic rock is an overly broad category that also includes rock from the fifties and early sixties that doesn't fit better in other categories like rockabilly, doo-wop, etc.

I'm lost Peaches..

How would you classify Rush?

Bricktop

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Bricktop"Prog rock has a more sweeping, textured and symphonic sound, often featuring a lot of synths and keyboards with a lot of changed tempos, pitches and chords.

Prog.

">

Note the chord and tempo changes, heavy instrumentation, synth intro, and a more flowing and complex song structure than chorus - verse - chorus with a bridge.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"

Prog.

">

Note the chord and tempo changes, heavy instrumentation, synth intro, and a more flowing and complex song structure than chorus - verse - chorus with a bridge.
That's what I thought, but radio stations also  put them in the classic rock category.

Bricktop

Categorising music is always a matter of subjectivity in the ears of the listener.

And classic rock is rather all encompassing, as prog rock is often regarded as classic.

Many bands cross between prog and straight rock...on the same album sometimes. Rush often does that. As does David Bowie.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peaches"

I'm lost Peaches..

How would you classify Rush?

It's complicated, but only a little.  I respect all three of them but have never been much of a fan of the band.  In the beginning they were rockers with a blues feel.  From the mid seventies til around 1990 they were more art rock, morphing in the mid eighties to symphonic rock.  After 1990 they simplified to a more organic hard rock sound, which lasted until their disbandment a year or two ago.

Print
User actions