Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

AAA: Cold weather can cut electric car range over 40 per cent

Started by Anonymous, March 04, 2019, 02:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetsu

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Zetsu"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Zetsu"Now that gas has dropped to about a dollar $CAD per litre in Markham, think I'm gonna stick back to my civic hybrid, but most important the tax rebate is now gone for good, lol.

How much was the electric vehicle subsidy in Ontario.

Think teh liberals offered 14,000 $CAD for any EV, it was really nothing but a steal until Doug Ford became premier, but then I'm glad he decided to scrap it in the end, it's just kinda stupid to tax the Canadian oil industry and offer incentives for ppl to buy their competitor's products, in the end Trudeau is just really nothing but a piece of horse excrement, as usual.

The government should not be using taxpayer money to give certain car manufacturers an unfair advantage over others.

I'm with ya brother, tbh it was pretty tempting, but I'm more happy the incentive is now gone for good in Ontario.  ac_drinks
Permanently off his rocker

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Zetsu"Now that gas has dropped to about a dollar $CAD per litre in Markham, think I'm gonna stick back to my civic hybrid, but most important the tax rebate is now gone for good, lol.

How much was the electric vehicle subsidy in Ontario.

Think teh liberals offered 14,000 $CAD for any EV, it was really nothing but a steal until Doug Ford became premier, but then I'm glad he decided to scrap it in the end, it's just kinda stupid to tax the Canadian oil industry and offer incentives for ppl to buy their competitor's products, in the end Trudeau is just really nothing but a piece of horse excrement, as usual.

The government should not be using taxpayer money to give certain car manufacturers an unfair advantage over others.

I'm with ya brother, tbh it was pretty tempting, but I'm more happy the incentive is now gone for good in Ontario.  ac_drinks

Brother, don't get me wrong. I don't blame anyone for taking advantage of those generous subsidies. But, the government using taxpayer money to give an unfair advantage to certain auto manufacturers is not a free market.

Zetsu

Quote from: "Odinson"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Cold also cuts down the urge for Boom Boom by at least 40%.

And the tests they did were only at -6 celcius..

In the month of February, we had several nights of -30 which would mean they lose much more than 40%.

And we all know how other battery powered products fare in the cold..

My phone saps a lot quicker in the cold.

And its not due to me upping the phone heater..

Batteries don't like cold weather.

The canadian winter kills the battery entirely.. And you cant recharge it until you get the car into a warm garage..

Recharging it would put the battery out of commission.

One can only imagine how much the battery costs when a small drill battery costs 50 bucks.

I have no idea how much an electric vehicle battery costs or how long they last..

Zetsu probably knows.

I believe it really depends on teh kilowatt of the battery, but even for the most affordable EVs, it's battery cost no less than $15,000 CAD or $11,200 USDs.  For Tesla cars, if they condition the battery properly most should be able to drive up to 1 million kilometers before losing 1 quarter of it's capacity.
Permanently off his rocker

Odinson

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Cold also cuts down the urge for Boom Boom by at least 40%.

In the month of February, we had several nights of -30 which would mean they lose much more than 40%.

The canadian winter kills the battery entirely.. And you cant recharge it until you get the car into a warm garage..

One can only imagine how much the battery costs when a small drill battery costs 50 bucks.

I have no idea how much an electric vehicle battery costs or how long they last..

Zetsu probably knows.

I believe it really depends on teh kilowatt of the battery, but even for the most affordable EVs, it's battery cost no less than $15,000 CAD or $11,200 USDs.  For Tesla cars, if they condition the battery properly most should be able to drive up to 1 million kilometers before losing 1 quarter of it's capacity.

Nice.. You cant charge the battery during winter if the vehicle is outside..

And you cant drive it because of the cold.

Anonymous

Zetsu probably knows.

That isn't spare change. Do that twice over the lifetime of your car. No thanks to e-cars.

Anonymous

Bottom line is that without subsidies, few electric vehicles will be sold in Canada.

Bricktop

Watched the Formula E car race last night. The pious and sanctimonious celebrities on pit lane were lauding the format as a "zero emission" car race.

I guess they think the power that charges their batteries comes out of a unicorn's ass.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Watched the Formula E car race last night. The pious and sanctimonious celebrities on pit lane were lauding the format as a "zero emission" car race.

I guess they think the power that charges their batteries comes out of a unicorn's ass.

You mean it doesn't come from a unicorn's ass. :shock:

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Well, I didn't see any unicorns in the pits.

Can't say I have either.

Bricktop

E cars won't go anywhere until they can resolve the re-charging issue.

Range is not the stumbling block. It's how long it takes before you can get going again.

If e-cars were the future, every cab would be an e-car...but then they'd be sitting idly for hours until the battery comes up.

Gaon

Quote from: "Bricktop"E cars won't go anywhere until they can resolve the re-charging issue.

Range is not the stumbling block. It's how long it takes before you can get going again.

If e-cars were the future, every cab would be an e-car...but then they'd be sitting idly for hours until the battery comes up.

And has been said already, in a cold country like Canada, the battery doesn't last as long as in mild climates.
The Russian Rock It

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Dead end technology.

Electric vehicles would've been unreliable in the February we had.

cc

QuoteI guess they think the power that charges their batteries comes out of a unicorn's ass.

I posted this before, but it's appropriate here in the overall sense (or lack of sense)

https://www.blazingcatfur.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/electric-car-climate-change-agw-global-warming-400x288.jpg">
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell