Replies: 10472
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 27, 2024, 06:55:02 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

The 15/hr bullshit

Started by Rancidmilko, April 09, 2019, 12:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

As usual, you complain about the status quo, then offer inanity as an alternative.

Whilst your road may not be paved, it is maintained by your local council. If all roads were unsealed, the rate of accidents, vehicular damage, breakdowns and road closures would escalate to utterly incomprehensible levels.

If you're going to whinge about paying tax, offer an alternative method of funding public infrastructure and amenities.

Gaon

Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=430997 time=1639627017 user_id=56
Quote from: Bricktop post_id=430991 time=1639626335 user_id=1560
I will absolutely guarantee you that those who earned a living on tips did not declare their income correctly for taxation purposes.

Anyone who claims they did so is having us on.

If you declared your full income and paid tax on it, I wonder how much you'd have in your pocket then.

Fash might have, but no other waitress has ever done that.

This is the real reason why libtards are so gung ho to raise the minimum wage even though the people their legislation is supposed to help don't want it. Wages go up, so do marginal tax rates. Governments get more $$. Servers get less.

So, that's the real reason minimum wages are going up across Canada.
The Russian Rock It

Frood

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431024 time=1639631716 user_id=1560
As usual, you complain about the status quo, then offer inanity as an alternative.

Whilst your road may not be paved, it is maintained by your local council. If all roads were unsealed, the rate of accidents, vehicular damage, breakdowns and road closures would escalate to utterly incomprehensible levels.

If you're going to whinge about paying tax, offer an alternative method of funding public infrastructure and amenities.

Running a grader down the road twice a year has worked for our community since the inception of our village and as you well know, you drive by conditions....not by theory/auto specs.

Taxes are theft as I mentioned earlier though that's not a whinge on my part but the worst kept open secret.

They should be resisted and reduced wherever possible.

No more than 10% on the dollar in total.

If they want to build extravagant highways, make them Toll. I'll go around them....and they can shove their nuclear powered sub purchase up their arses, too....

I suspect you probably still have that lil red midlife crises convertible parked under cover, lathered in carnuba wax, and swathed in baby blankets.... good for you.

Stay away from my community if dust and gravel roads bother you.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431019 time=1639629941 user_id=1560
So, is there a reason that hospitality workers should not pay their fair share of tax?

It's the way it always was Bricktop..

Waitresses paid almost no tax on a very low income(their actual wage), but were on the honour system to report their tips..

Of course, very few did..

There were servers in good restaurants making as much as electricians like my husband, but paying far less tax..

There's still some tipping, but it's not like the way it was and many of the best servers have left the job since the minimum wage went up, prices went up and tipping and incomes down.

Bricktop

It was a tax dodge. Let's call a spade a spade.

However, in Oz, you don't pay tax if your income is less than $20K per annum. So lower income earners pay far less tax than higher earners, which is, of course, as it should be. Minimum wage is higher than the tax threshold, of course.

Living off tips is just a way of ignoring your tax obligations.

Frood

There is no moral obligation to be extorted financially.
Blahhhhhh...

Gaon

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431034 time=1639634812 user_id=1560

However, in Oz, you don't pay tax if your income is less than $20K per annum. So lower income earners pay far less tax than higher earners, which is, of course, as it should be. Minimum wage is higher than the tax threshold, of course.

Canada like Israel has a progressive tax system too. Tipping was a good way to have a high income and keep it all for yourself. No sharing with government.
The Russian Rock It

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431034 time=1639634812 user_id=1560

Destroying tipping is just a way for profligate spending governments to gouge low income earners, low income business owners and make didning out more expensive for everybody. Why can't they just spend less.

Bricktop

But earlier in the thread, Fash claimed she was earning more than the business owner.

How is she and those like her "low income earners"?

And whilst spleens are vented against governments, I'm pretty certain that it was the unions that led the push for minimum wage for all, including the lowest paid.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431071 time=1639691067 user_id=1560
But earlier in the thread, Fash claimed she was earning more than the business owner.

And whilst spleens are vented against governments, I'm pretty certain that it was the unions that led the push for minimum wage for all, including the lowest paid.

I was making the equivalent of about $35-40 an hour in today's money on weekends....the owner earned less..

The hospitality industry is mostly part time and is ununionized..

It's progressive poltical parties that want higher minimum wages and ultimately lower lower take home pay for servers....it benefits them and nobody else.

Bricktop

I don't understand. Perhaps there is a difference of understanding.

In Australia there is a set minimum wage for all workers. Including part time employees in the hospitality sector, who also enjoy the protection of the Fair Work Commission that oversees industrial relations and disputes in Australia.

Wage disparity in various sectors occur because employees are still free to negotiate remuneration levels ABOVE the minimum wage if they choose to do so. These negotiations are in the form of a workplace contract which has the force of law.

Raising the minimum wage affects ALL workers. Of course, the government gets its greedy hands on any pay rise, but that isn't unique to any industry sector. In effect, hospitality workers get exactly the same salary as any other employee on minimum wage, which is rather generous.

"The national minimum wage is $772.60 per week, for a 38 hour week, or $20.33 per hour. The national minimum wage provides a starting point to calculate your employees' wages, however most employees are covered by an award."

https://business.gov.au/people/employees/employees-pay-leave-and-entitlements">//https://business.gov.au/people/employees/employees-pay-leave-and-entitlements

Zetsu

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431071 time=1639691067 user_id=1560

The problem is people that wants to raise minimum wage are the ones that never provided jobs for others with their own money.  Business is mostly overrated these days unless you have access to cheap labour.
Permanently off his rocker

Bricktop

Quote from: Zetsu post_id=431114 time=1639702675 user_id=61
The problem is people that wants to raise minimum wage are the ones that never provided jobs for others with their own money.  

This is indeed true in Australia, where trade unions wield disproportionate influence on all aspects of the economy and government.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431111 time=1639701934 user_id=1560
I don't understand. Perhaps there is a difference of understanding.

In Australia there is a set minimum wage for all workers. Including part time employees in the hospitality sector, who also enjoy the protection of the Fair Work Commission that oversees industrial relations and disputes in Australia.

Wage disparity in various sectors occur because employees are still free to negotiate remuneration levels ABOVE the minimum wage if they choose to do so. These negotiations are in the form of a workplace contract which has the force of law.

Raising the minimum wage affects ALL workers. Of course, the government gets its greedy hands on any pay rise, but that isn't unique to any industry sector. In effect, hospitality workers get exactly the same salary as any other employee on minimum wage, which is rather generous.

"The national minimum wage is $772.60 per week, for a 38 hour week, or $20.33 per hour. The national minimum wage provides a starting point to calculate your employees' wages, however most employees are covered by an award."

https://business.gov.au/people/employees/employees-pay-leave-and-entitlements">//https://business.gov.au/people/employees/employees-pay-leave-and-entitlements

Provinces set minimum wage. Few adult Canadians made minimum wage, but the ones that did were quite happy keeping it low. Libtards took it upon themselves to rapidly raise minimum wages without consulting the people whom it affects.

Bricktop

Here, the minimum wage is set by the Federal Wage Commission. It is an independent tribunal. The government makes submissions in the same manner as employees and employers, and is bound by the Commission's ruling.

I don't understand the desire to keep the minimum wage low. How does that help anyone?