The best topic

Replies: 8486
Total votes: : 3

Last post: July 04, 2024, 11:20:11 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Hey VancouverGuy, what’s the difference between DSLR & Mirrorless Cameras?

Started by JOE, May 06, 2019, 07:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

...& whats the hype over the new technology?

Should a person buy DSLR or mirrorless?

I was thinkin' of gettin' a camera at some point but I don't know if I should buy something which may become obsolete within a few years.

Someone told me mirrorless is still in its first generation so it's advisable to wait than buy into the new technology. At the same time could DSLR become obsolete and get replaced soon?

Seems the potential buyer is caught in a rock & a hard place.

Damned either way whatever type of camera he buys presently.

What do you think, VG?

Bricktop

DSLR's use a mirrored prism to allow the user to see the subject directly through a viewfinder mounted on top of the body (like a periscope). When the shutter is pressed, the mirror is moved up out of the way to allow the subject to be captured on the image sensor (or film back in the day).

Mirrorless cameras clearly have no mirror. The viewfinder is a video rendition of the subject.

The removal of the mirror has some distinct advantages. It reduces size and weight. It allows for very fast frames per second (having to move a mirror between each shot takes up time) and it enables a "what you see is what you get" view of the subject.

On the downside, battery life is lower because it's powering a constant video signal, the view through the viewfinder isn't as accurate (but it's improving) and they are costly compared to mirrored cameras.

However, I think the general feeling is that mirrorless bodies are the future.

It should be pointed out, though, that image quality is not altered by mirrorless cameras. It is the same as mirrored bodies.

I should mention that if you don't know what to look for in a DSLR, why would you bother. They are complicated compared to fixed lens cameras. Ask Caskur about hers. Fixed lens, no hassle.

And remember, the camera body is probably the cheapest component of your kit. Good quality lenses are the real cost of photography.

Anonymous

Quote from: "JOE"...& whats the hype over the new technology?

Should a person buy DSLR or mirrorless?

I was thinkin' of gettin' a camera at some point but I don't know if I should buy something which may become obsolete within a few years.

Someone told me mirrorless is still in its first generation so it's advisable to wait than buy into the new technology. At the same time could DSLR become obsolete and get replaced soon?

Seems the potential buyer is caught in a rock & a hard place.

Damned either way whatever type of camera he buys presently.

What do you think, VG?

Google is your friend. We are not.

Vancouver

Quote from: "JOE"What do you think, VG?

I think you should take pictures with your smartphone. My dad brings out his Nikon once a year when he goes on his trip. My friend's Canon is sitting in his closet. He used to go on mini hikes with it. Now he feels like it's pointless to take it out.
Time is malleable

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"
Quote from: "JOE"What do you think, VG?

I think you should take pictures with your smartphone. My dad brings out his Nikon once a year when he goes on his trip. My friend's Canon is sitting in his closet. He used to go on mini hikes with it. Now he feels like it's pointless to take it out.

Sound advice for the elderly troll.