Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Ho Hum.

Started by Bricktop, May 31, 2019, 07:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

A professional who lost it.

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Bricktop"So, what your saying is that all guns should be removed from American society.
 Yeah...

...Hey wait I mean no acc_angry

But seriously I don't believe gun availability is a very big part of criminal behavior.  That is why there are several countries with gun availability similar to the US that have very low murder rates and countries where guns are or were banned or extremely limited where murder rates are/were very high.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"He had no obvious criminal history, court records show, only several traffic violations over the years.

It remains to be seen what the suspect was after. City officials declined to discuss a possible motive for the attack, but they did say there was no immediate indication that the gunman had targeted anyone.

a person close to Virginia Beach's city government, who was not authorized to speak publicly, said that the suspect had no history of behavioral problems until recently, when he had begun acting strangely and getting into physical "scuffles" with other city workers.

The person said that tensions had escalated in the past week, adding that the man had gotten into a violent altercation on city grounds and was told that disciplinary action would be taken.

He had a bachelor of science degree in civil engineering from Old Dominion University in Virginia.

Before his job with the city, the suspect worked for private firms specializing in site planning and infrastructure, and had held a professional engineer license from the state since 2008. One of his hiring notices said that his engineering experience included storm water management and utility design for private and public systems.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/01/us/dewayne-craddock-virginia.html">https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/01/us/d ... ginia.html">https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/01/us/dewayne-craddock-virginia.html

Was he married with children cc?

Bricktop

Quote from: "Wazzzup"
Quote from: "Bricktop"So, what your saying is that all guns should be removed from American society.
 Yeah...

But seriously I don't believe gun availability is a very big part of criminal behavior.  That is why there are several countries with gun availability similar to the US that have very low murder rates and countries where guns are or were banned or extremely limited where murder rates are/were very high.

There are countries that have higher murder rates. These are principally, in the words of your very own President, shitholes. However the more important observation is that in the US, the rate of death by firearm far exceeds any other western democratic nation. Comparing yourselves to Brazil, or Colombia is only valid if you compare ALL metrics, such as standard of living, education, economics and so on.

Whilst it can be argued that race is a factor, all that does is highlight the need to remove guns from your society.Fewer guns, fewer deaths.

In a nation as divided and angry as the US, providing guns to your citizens is tantamount to genocide.

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Bricktop"
 Yeah...

There are countries that have higher murder rates. These are principally, in the words of your very own President, shitholes. However the more important observation is that in the US, the rate of death by firearm far exceeds any other western democratic nation. Comparing yourselves to Brazil, or Colombia is only valid if you compare ALL metrics, such as standard of living, education, economics and so on.

In a nation as divided and angry as the US, providing guns to your citizens is tantamount to genocide.

I think the third world distinction is somewhat arbitrary-- there are many third world countries with low murder rates. some of them with easy access to firearms, I don't have time to hunt them all down.  One is thailand, another is Egypt, but both have a lower murder rate than the US but fairly lax laws with firearms.  

And there are several countries with lax firearm laws like Iceland, and Switzerland that have lower homicide rates than Australia.    

----

Chalk it all up (there's plenty more where that came from) and there is very little correlation between gun availability and murder rates in a country-- its clear other factors are far far more significant.

----

BTW in 2018 --11,000 people were murdered in the US with a gun while 1,250,000 died in car accidents---people were 118 times more likely to die in a car accident than be murdered with a gun.  

Driving an automobile is 118 times as genocidal as guns.  Maybe we need car control?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"
 Yeah...

I think the third world distinction is somewhat arbitrary-- there are many third world countries with low murder rates. some of them with easy access to firearms, I don't have time to hunt them all down.  One is thailand which has a lower murder rate than the US but fairly lax laws with firearms.  

And there are several countries with lax firearm laws like Iceland, and Switzerland that have lower homicide rates than Australia.    

----

Chalk it all up (there's plenty more where that came from) and there is very little correlation between gun availability and murder rates in a country-- its clear other factors are far far more significant.

----

BTW in 2018 --11,000 people were murdered in the US while 1,250,000 died in car accidents---people were 118 times more likely to die in a car accident than be murdered with a gun.  

Driving an automobile is 118 times as genocidal as guns.  Maybe we need car control?

The reasons for the differences in homicide rates are complex, that's for sure.

Bricktop

I think the third world distinction is somewhat arbitrary-- there are many third world countries with low murder rates. some of them with easy access to firearms, I don't have time to hunt them all down.  One is thailand, another is Egypt, but both have a lower murder rate than the US but fairly lax laws with firearms.  

----

----

BTW in 2018 --11,000 people were murdered in the US with a gun while 1,250,000 died in car accidents---people were 118 times more likely to die in a car accident than be murdered with a gun.  

Right.

So the solution to dealing with an intrinsically divided and violent society is....to add MORE guns!!!

OK. I got it.

I guess those people sitting at their desks going about their daily responsibilities should have been packing.

Is that the country you want to live in?

Frood

More evidence that the state can't keep anyone safe from the lone wolves so they instead make it easier for defenceless people to get injured or killed by lone wolves, because dead people can't vote any longer and citizens aren't smart enough to leave their State mandated cages.

But my oh my, listen to the authoritarian cucks like Bricktop crow.
Blahhhhhh...

Odinson

I think the current "you are special" politics are causing these massacres.

Like that Elliot Rodgers fella.

He got rejected and that gave him license to start taking lives..

"its not me, its the others" mentality.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"I think the current "you are special" politics are causing these massacres.

How is that the root cause of massacres in the USA Odi?

Odinson

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Odinson"I think the current "you are special" politics are causing these massacres.

These massacres are really selfish acts..

Just because your own life sucks, you got the right to harm others.

Even the justice-system is feeding this mental illness.

A murderer gets treated light because his life sucks.

Being self-centered and "special" is the current trend.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"

There has always been mass murderers, but there does seem to be an increase in massacres, and not just in the USA..

I don't know about the special or selfish angles, but I'm open to the possibility that it could be at least partly responsible.

Wazzzup

There has always been mass murderers, but there does seem to be an increase in massacres, and not just in the USA..

I don't know about the special or selfish angles, but I'm open to the possibility that it could be at least partly responsible.

I don;'t think its selfshness per se.  I think its anger at the world.  Somebody is depressed to the point of suicide.  Most in that situation would just kill themselves only.  But some people who feel like the world has ripped them off, and they want to get even, will take others with them in an act of revenge, against specific people or humanity in general.  

I also believe there is a fame angle to this too.  Shoot up a place and you become front page news all across the country.  And an imitation aspect as well.  People see others do this and they are more likely to do it themselves.

Anonymous

I don;'t think its selfshness per se.  I think its anger at the world.  Somebody is depressed to the point of suicide.  Most in that situation would just kill themselves only.  But some people who feel like the world has ripped them off, and they want to get even, will take others with them in an act of revenge, against specific people or humanity in general.  

I also believe there is a fame angle to this too.  Shoot up a place and you become front page news all across the country.  And an imitation aspect as well.  People see others do this and they are more likely to do it themselves.

Those reasons seem very plausible Wazzzup.

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

Odinson

That too.. Wanting to be in the history books..

But the usual motive seems to be social rejection...

And a rather high opinion of themselves.