The best topic

Replies: 8508
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 10:37:29 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Israel goes to the polls!!!

Started by Bricktop, May 29, 2019, 06:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Bricktop

Nope, it's not Groundhog Day.

They have to do it all again because nobody wanted to get into bed with Benjamin.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Nope, it's not Groundhog Day.

They have to do it all again because nobody wanted to get into bed with Benjamin.

Oh my goodness..

:ohmy:

I wonder where Gaon is..

This is surprising.

Bricktop

Maybe queuing at the polling booth?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Maybe queuing at the polling booth?

He had a change in jobs recently that likely means less time to post.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Nope, it's not Groundhog Day.

That didn't last long.

Gaon

This is the first time in Israel's history that a prime minister-designate has failed to form a coalition.

At the heart of the impasse was a military conscription bill governing exemptions for ultra-Orthodox Jewish seminary students.

Bibi clashed with former Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman, who is my candidate, and whose support was vital.

Mr Lieberman, from the nationalist Yisrael Beitenu party, had made it a condition of allying with ultra-Orthodox Jewish parties that they change their military draft exemptions.

Netanyahu pushed for new elections to prevent Israeli President Reuven Rivlin selecting another member of parliament to try to form a government.

A new election will be held in September.
The Russian Rock It

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gaon"This is the first time in Israel's history that a prime minister-designate has failed to form a coalition.

At the heart of the impasse was a military conscription bill governing exemptions for ultra-Orthodox Jewish seminary students.

Bibi clashed with former Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman, who is my candidate, and whose support was vital.

Mr Lieberman, from the nationalist Yisrael Beitenu party, had made it a condition of allying with ultra-Orthodox Jewish parties that they change their military draft exemptions.

Netanyahu pushed for new elections to prevent Israeli President Reuven Rivlin selecting another member of parliament to try to form a government.

It must be hard to form a coalition between secularists and ultra religious parties. The latter probably are not going to compromise.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Gaon"This is the first time in Israel's history that a prime minister-designate has failed to form a coalition.

It must be hard to form a coalition between secularists and ultra religious parties. The latter probably are not going to compromise.

But, the two sides have compromised before.

Gaon

Avigdor Lieberman could be kingmaker or kingbreaker after September's election.

Netanyahu's coalition options will be reduced, with the ultra-Orthodox and the religious right his only potential partners. Far from being a potential ally, we all now know that Liberman, his former top aide, defense minister and foreign minister, is a resolute and potent political enemy.

Netanyahu has made clear since the Liberman-engineered fiasco of his bid to build a coalition that he will do everything in his power to try to prevent Yisrael Beytenu winning enough votes to get back into the Knesset and haunt him again. But a first new set of polls, taken on Thursday, suggest this will be impossible. Liberman is on the rise.
The Russian Rock It

Bricktop

Wazzzup

It must be nice to have two good candidates to pick from Lieberman and Netanyahu. We usually don't even have one (at least we didn't before Trump).  I'm envious.

Gaon

Quote from: "Wazzzup"It must be nice to have two good candidates to pick from Lieberman and Netanyahu. We usually don't even have one (at least we didn't before Trump).  I'm envious.

They are both good candidates, and either would continue to improve Israel. Like most Russians, I prefer Lieberman. He has the best plan for Israel's cultural and defensive security. But, it's becoming increasingly harder for the two of them to work together. Bibi is in a pickle. If he appeals to the secularist Russian community, he alienates the religious right and vice versa.
The Russian Rock It

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wazzzup"It must be nice to have two good candidates to pick from Lieberman and Netanyahu. We usually don't even have one (at least we didn't before Trump).  I'm envious.

We don't have one good candidate in Canada. We vote for the least bad or least proggy.

Gaon

Senior Likud Minister Says Netanyahu Would Agree to a Unity Government With Gantz

Tzachi Hanegbi says he has 'no doubt' the premier would agree to a coalition with Kahol Lavan, but Likud brushes off his comments

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/elections/.premium-senior-likud-minister-says-netanyahu-would-agree-to-a-unity-government-with-gantz-1.7312886">https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/ele ... -1.7312886">https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/elections/.premium-senior-likud-minister-says-netanyahu-would-agree-to-a-unity-government-with-gantz-1.7312886

Likud denies this, but I believe the two sides have had informal talks. Benny Gantz cannot be trusted.
The Russian Rock It

Wazzzup

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"

We don't have one good candidate in Canada. We vote for the least bad or least proggy.
I can empathize before Trump look at our last three choices Bush, Romney, Mccain, all terrible.