Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:30:46 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Brent

Victoria, butterfly garden/bug zoo

Started by Vancouver, June 17, 2019, 03:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Anonymous

I have never seen Craigdarroch Castle. Did you get a tour inside Twee?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blurt"Great pics, VG as usual.  :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

You should've told me you were coming over. I would've given you the insider's tour.

Regardless, here are a couple of photo op locations you might want to check out next time you drop by.

- Mount Douglas Observatory: best location to catch a shot of the city as a whole with the Cascades mountain range in Washington state as a backdrop.

- Ogden Point: just for the massive cruise ships lined up at the piers, and then a walk east along Dallas Rd.to Ross Bay Cemetery, with its intriguing population of gnarled and knobby trees and history-book headstones, all facing the fury of the ocean (on very windy days, Dallas Rd. is closed to prevent idiot pedestrians from being banged aout the concrete balustrade by Neptune's wrath).

- Goldstream Park: time your visit just right and you'll catch snaps of salmon bravely upstreaming the currents in spawning season (carry bear spray with you, though).

- Cook Street Village at 4 a.m.: the population of peacocks in nearby Beacon Hill Park gets into full swing, the birds gracing the pre-dawn silence with their unearthly calls. They tend to go exploring (or cruising for peahens) outside the park's limits along the neighbourhood's deserted streets, sometimes picking fights with raccoons on the prowl for discarded pizza boxes and chicken curry leftovers. There are a couple of white peacocks out there. I've only ever seen one, though, strutting down the sidewalk like nobody's business. Tried to snap it, but phone cameras suck. That peacock has become my very own White Buffalo. I'll go wait for him one day with my actual camera in hand. But I'll need to keep an eye out for cougars (only one attack so far this year, I think).

Let me know next time you come over, eh!

My girlfriend and have talked about a trip to Victoria. Is that offer transferable to us Blurt?

@realAzhyaAryola

We enjoyed Victoria very much. Will have to go back for more, especially dining experiences and whale watching. Frankie's Modern Diner offered exactly what I was looking for at the time. It hit the spot!
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"We enjoyed Victoria very much. Will have to go back for more, especially dining experiences and whale watching. Frankie's Modern Diner offered exactly what I was looking for at the time. It hit the spot!

From what I have heard and read, it offers so many a lot for tourists. I would like to golf in January.

@realAzhyaAryola

Butchart Gardens looks like what the garden of eden must look like.

http://www.clippervacations.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/butchart_highlights_featured.jpg">
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"Butchart Gardens looks like what the garden of eden must look like.

http://www.clippervacations.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/butchart_highlights_featured.jpg">

Look at the meticulous gardening artwork.

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"Butchart Gardens looks like what the garden of eden must look like.

You and your girlfriend should visit Victoria.
@realAzhyaAryola

caskur

Stunning colours.

too manicured for me and birds but a lovely people garden all the same!
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"

You and your girlfriend should visit Victoria.

This thread makes me put a trip to Victoria closer to the top of my bucket list.

Blurt

Quote from: "Blurt"

My girlfriend and have talked about a trip to Victoria. Does that offer transferable to us Blurt?

Of course!

Just let me know in advance, Seoul, as I work long hours in a very condensed work week (on the plus side, this means I get to enjoy three or four consecutive days off, so that can work out well).

I always enjoy playing "tourist-in-your-own-hometown." It's even better when you can guide folks who come here for the first time. Or the third or seventh.
Aimin\' to misbehave.

Anonymous

My girlfriend and have talked about a trip to Victoria. Does that offer transferable to us Blurt?

Of course!

Just let me know in advance, Seoul, as I work long hours in a very condensed work week (on the plus side, this means I get to enjoy three or four consecutive days off, so that can work out well).

I always enjoy playing "tourist-in-your-own-hometown." It's even better when you can guide folks who come here for the first time. Or the third or seventh.

About a four night stay is what we had in mind. There's a chance we may do this late winter. I go to Florida every winter. This would be a nice pre or post Florida trip.

Blurt

Then post-Florida would be my suggestion.

While it never gets too cold for too long here in the wintertime, we still do have winters, even if mild ones (certainly when compared to south central Ontario).

The tulips spring in late February  or early March and the cherry trees bloom in late March and early April, but the weather only really becomes comfortable when April is in full swing. The city is at its best in August, when the palm fronds are swaying in the mild ocean breeze (the waters of the Pacific remain cold, though).

But, yeah, a trip to Victoria is money well spent. Four days should give you enough time to sample its many delights.
Aimin\' to misbehave.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blurt"Then post-Florida would be my suggestion.

While it never gets too cold for too long here in the wintertime, we still do have winters, even if mild ones (certainly when compared to south central Ontario).

The tulips spring in late February  or early March and the cherry trees bloom in late March and early April, but the weather only really becomes comfortable when April is in full swing. The city is at its best in August, when the palm fronds are swaying in the mild ocean breeze (the waters of the Pacific remain cold, though).

But, yeah, a trip to Victoria is money well spent. Four days should give you enough time to sample its many delights.

Good to know. I think late March or early April might be a good time. Pick a good restaurant with some local seafood and that is where the three of us will go for dinner one night.

Blurt

Oh, there are quite a few good seafood places. It'll be a treat.

Fancy dining or no, we'll still have to grab a plate of fish 'n' chips at Barb's Place or The Fish Store down at Fisherman's Wharf. (Sadly, we are no longer allowed to feed the seals in the harbour--apparently, they were developing visual impairments from constantly having their heads out of the water and their eyes staring up into the sun.)
Aimin\' to misbehave.