Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

A

Green Party and Trudeau defence of carbon taxes debunked

Started by Anonymous, June 21, 2019, 05:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gaon"
Quote from: "seoulbro"Trudeau must come clean on carbon taxes

It appears Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Environment Minister Catherine Mckenna will be perfectly happy if Canadians have no idea where their carbon tax will be heading if the Liberals win the Oct. 21 election.

Mckenna's flip-flops over the past two months have been a case study in incoherency and confusion.

Prior to June, the government said its gradually increasing carbon tax, which will hit $50 per tonne of greenhouse gas emissions in 2022, would be reviewed at that time to see if it should be made more "stringent" (translation, "higher") going forward.

Then the Parliamentary Budget Office (PBO) released a report in mid-june saying Trudeau's carbon tax would need to be more than doubled to $102 per tonne by 2030, to meet Trudeau's commitment under the UN'S Paris climate accord to reduce Canada's emissions to 30% below 2005 levels by 2030.

(Other studies have said the tax will have to be as high as $300 per tonne.)

In response to the PBO report, Mckenna said Trudeau's carbon tax would be frozen at $50 per tonne in 2022 and the government will use other means to achieve its targets.

Then she reversed course this week, telling the Globe and Mail it's possible the tax will be raised above

$50 per tonne in 2022, depending on consultations with the provinces.

She denied an allegation by the Conservatives that Trudeau has already decided to hike his carbon tax after 2022, which is not the same as saying it won't happen.

Her obfuscation, and

Trudeau's, is irresponsible.

What better time is there than an election campaign for Trudeau and Mckenna to come clean — pardon the pun — on their intentions for their carbon tax?

Premier Doug Ford's government announced Wednesday Ontario will appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada its earlier loss at the Ontario Court of Appeal, which found Trudeau's Greenhouse Gas Pollution Pricing Act is constitutional.

But in the real world, the fate of Trudeau's carbon tax will be decided in the Oct. 21 election.

If Trudeau is going to be honest with Canadians, he needs to explain now, not after the election, what his intentions are.

Alarmingly, as we have seen in scandals like Lavscam, honesty is not one of his strong suits.

Wouldn't $300 per tonne trigger inflation?

It will trigger homelessness.

@realAzhyaAryola

Waiting and watching what happens in your October elections...
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"Waiting and watching what happens in your October elections...

I am not. Justine will be reelected. The carbon tax goes up, income taxes go up, the deficit goes up, the resource sector along with jobs and wages go down.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"Waiting and watching what happens in your October elections...

I am not. Justine will be reelected. The carbon tax goes up, income taxes go up, the deficit goes up, the resource sector along with jobs and wages go down.

Trudeau is a serial ethics violator and he not only has not resigned, he's going to be reelected.

ac_wot

Anonymous

Watch Justine the idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3YB_g_ESCI&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR2FHntybsXH3acB6gGHir8ebXEPlMolD7csDv6omDX73sennn0PyONqTuM">
... n0PyONqTuM">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3YB_g_ESCI&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR2FHntybsXH3acB6gGHir8ebXEPlMolD7csDv6omDX73sennn0PyONqTuM

Anonymous

There is no chance now of our always increasing carbon tax being repealed..

:sad:

The Conservatives can't do it without  a majority.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"There is no chance now of our always increasing carbon tax being repealed..

:sad:

The Conservatives can't do it without  a majority.

I don't like the Conservative party, but I like plank in their platform. Carbon taxes are working people subsidizing billionaires and big companies.

Anonymous

And it's big companies that benefit from carbon taxes.

Gaon

Quote from: "Fashionista"And it's big companies that benefit from carbon taxes.

Would you support carbon taxes if it was offset by lower income taxes and sales tax?
The Russian Rock It

Anonymous

Would you support carbon taxes if it was offset by lower income taxes and sales tax?

I guess in theory I might, but that would never happen in Canada.

Gaon

That is how economists that support the idea of taxing carbon said it should work.
The Russian Rock It

Anonymous

My province brought in a cap and trade scheme along with quickly mothballing coal plants and subsidizing useless wind and solar schemes with raising gasoline and home heating taxes. The result was forcing hundreds of thousands of low income Ontarians into fuel poverty along with corruption and the highest sub sovereign debt in the world. Forced transitions do not work. The only thing they force is poor people deciding to get to work or heat their home.

Thiel

If anyone is still undecided, this may help you make a choice between the two main parties.

">
gay, conservative and proud

Anonymous

Quote from: "Thiel"If anyone is still undecided, this may help you make a choice between the two main parties.

">

If anyone is undecided at this point, this aint likely to make a difference.

Print
User actions