The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Beware foreign influence in Canada's resource sector and elections

Started by Anonymous, August 09, 2019, 09:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Canadians should welcome Alberta Premier Jason Kenney's inquiry into foreign financing opposition to the oilsands because it will investigate a significant problem for the entire country. Nevertheless, it generated overwrought criticism from those who seek to belittle the issue.

That reaction is not new. Back in January 2012, as minister of natural resources, I denounced American funding of domestic radicals trying to block Canada's resource development. Exposing an inconvenient truth generated a cacophony of outrage and derision from those who benefitted from the Yankee moolah or welcomed any help to block pipeline projects.

Fast forward over seven years, my allegation remains factually correct, based on irrefutable research doggedly pursued by Vivian Krause, who also proved that foreign funding was employed to influence Canadian elections. Understandably, I am proud to be on the same page as the premier on a troubling issue which merits urgent public attention.

When asked by a reporter how I defined a radical, I answered it was someone who opposed every major resource development in the country. I then issued a challenge, repeated numerous times: name a single major project that any environmental organization supported. The deafening silence continues to this day. My reply was buried, presumably because it sounded too reasonable and raised uncomfortable questions.

Another important issue I discussed that was ignored by the media is that the oilsands represent a minuscule one-thousandth of global greenhouse gas emissions. Climate warming alarmists hated hearing that because it made obvious what they only acknowledged among themselves: The oilsands were just a symbol to rally opposition to pipelines projects.

A former CBC TV host warned me that if I mentioned the 0.1% he would go into attack mode. After all, that would have made it impossible for him to paint the oilsands as a major contributor to catastrophic climate change.

Although taking on implacable opponents to resource development certainly annoyed them, it made no difference, since accommodation was never in the cards. Former Alberta premier Rachel Notley tried so very hard to find a compromise, without success. The same with the prime minister's grand bargain of offering a carbon tax in exchange for support of pipeline construction. It is obvious that obtaining a so-called social licence requires unachievable unanimity and empowers militant opposition. Unwavering determination is a better strategy for getting pipelines built.

A related concern is the influence of foreign financing on Canada's elections. American donations to Tides (U.S.) were funnelled directly and indirectly to Leadnow, which campaigned in the 2015 federal election for candidates most likely to defeat Conservatives in swing ridings, including my own. Indeed, Leadnow boasts that its paid field teams were successful in 25 ridings. It is indisputable that American money was used to influence federal and provincial elections, motivated in large part by hostility to Canada's natural resources.

Senator Linda Frum introduced a private member's bill that would have created a total ban on foreign financing of third party parties for any election-related purpose. Her bill died and the government's subsequent electoral reforms don't adequately address the problem, which goes to the heart of our democratic sovereignty.

Liberals and ENGOs seem indifferent to American interference in the development of Canada's natural resources and the independence of our electoral system. That is inexcusable. Even more troubling is that we cannot preclude covert campaigns by OPEC members and Russia, who are indifferent to climate change and have a commercial interest in blocking Canadian oil exports to overseas markets. Jason Kenney's study is an important initiative to uncover the facts and take action.

Joe Oliver is the former minister of natural resources and minister of finance and is the Chairman of Echelon Wealth Partners.  

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/oliver-beware-foreign-influence-in-canadas-resource-sector-and-elections">https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... -elections">https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/oliver-beware-foreign-influence-in-canadas-resource-sector-and-elections

I posted this here instead of in the Politics sub because this is an ongoing issue Canadians face and the threat to our economic security comes from abroad.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"Canadians should welcome Alberta Premier Jason Kenney's inquiry into foreign financing opposition to the oilsands because it will investigate a significant problem for the entire country. Nevertheless, it generated overwrought criticism from those who seek to belittle the issue.

That reaction is not new. Back in January 2012, as minister of natural resources, I denounced American funding of domestic radicals trying to block Canada's resource development. Exposing an inconvenient truth generated a cacophony of outrage and derision from those who benefitted from the Yankee moolah or welcomed any help to block pipeline projects.

Fast forward over seven years, my allegation remains factually correct, based on irrefutable research doggedly pursued by Vivian Krause, who also proved that foreign funding was employed to influence Canadian elections. Understandably, I am proud to be on the same page as the premier on a troubling issue which merits urgent public attention.

When asked by a reporter how I defined a radical, I answered it was someone who opposed every major resource development in the country. I then issued a challenge, repeated numerous times: name a single major project that any environmental organization supported. The deafening silence continues to this day. My reply was buried, presumably because it sounded too reasonable and raised uncomfortable questions.

Another important issue I discussed that was ignored by the media is that the oilsands represent a minuscule one-thousandth of global greenhouse gas emissions. Climate warming alarmists hated hearing that because it made obvious what they only acknowledged among themselves: The oilsands were just a symbol to rally opposition to pipelines projects.

A former CBC TV host warned me that if I mentioned the 0.1% he would go into attack mode. After all, that would have made it impossible for him to paint the oilsands as a major contributor to catastrophic climate change.

Although taking on implacable opponents to resource development certainly annoyed them, it made no difference, since accommodation was never in the cards. Former Alberta premier Rachel Notley tried so very hard to find a compromise, without success. The same with the prime minister's grand bargain of offering a carbon tax in exchange for support of pipeline construction. It is obvious that obtaining a so-called social licence requires unachievable unanimity and empowers militant opposition. Unwavering determination is a better strategy for getting pipelines built.

A related concern is the influence of foreign financing on Canada's elections. American donations to Tides (U.S.) were funnelled directly and indirectly to Leadnow, which campaigned in the 2015 federal election for candidates most likely to defeat Conservatives in swing ridings, including my own. Indeed, Leadnow boasts that its paid field teams were successful in 25 ridings. It is indisputable that American money was used to influence federal and provincial elections, motivated in large part by hostility to Canada's natural resources.

Senator Linda Frum introduced a private member's bill that would have created a total ban on foreign financing of third party parties for any election-related purpose. Her bill died and the government's subsequent electoral reforms don't adequately address the problem, which goes to the heart of our democratic sovereignty.

Liberals and ENGOs seem indifferent to American interference in the development of Canada's natural resources and the independence of our electoral system. That is inexcusable. Even more troubling is that we cannot preclude covert campaigns by OPEC members and Russia, who are indifferent to climate change and have a commercial interest in blocking Canadian oil exports to overseas markets. Jason Kenney's study is an important initiative to uncover the facts and take action.

Joe Oliver is the former minister of natural resources and minister of finance and is the Chairman of Echelon Wealth Partners.  

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/oliver-beware-foreign-influence-in-canadas-resource-sector-and-elections">https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... -elections">https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/oliver-beware-foreign-influence-in-canadas-resource-sector-and-elections

I posted this here instead of in the Politics sub because this is an ongoing issue Canadians face and the threat to our economic security comes from abroad.

Since Justin Trudeau won't provide Canadians with leadership to fight foreign funded interference, I'm thankful Jason is stepping up.

Gaon

Quote from: "seoulbro"Canadians should welcome Alberta Premier Jason Kenney's inquiry into foreign financing opposition to the oilsands because it will investigate a significant problem for the entire country. Nevertheless, it generated overwrought criticism from those who seek to belittle the issue.

The government of Canada knows this is happening and won't do anything about it, because the government of Justin Trudeau benefits from foreign interference. The left in the US unsuccessfully accused Trump of collusion, but we have proof of foreign in this country's election that benefit Trudeau and he won't even acknowledge it. Trudeau should be impeached.
The Russian Rock It

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gaon"

The government of Canada knows this is happening and won't do anything about it, because the government of Justin Trudeau benefits from foreign interference. The left in the US unsuccessfully accused Trump of collusion, but we have proof of foreign in this country's election that benefit Trudeau and he won't even acknowledge it. Trudeau should be impeached.

Could you imagine the reaction of Americans if this was happening in the USA to get either party's candidate elected..

Americans would demand immediate removal of all elected officials who knew about it and did nothing to stop it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Gaon"

Could you imagine the reaction of Americans if this was happening in the USA to get either party's candidate elected..

Americans would demand immediate removal of all elected officials who knew about it and did nothing to stop it.

Any frickin country except Canada would.

Anonymous

The government of Alberta is trying to make Canadisns aware of this. TIDES shills in Canada including all the major political parties except the Tories will demonize Jason Kenney for exposing their collusion.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"The government of Alberta is trying to make Canadisns aware of this. TIDES shills in Canada including all the major political parties except the Tories will demonize Jason Kenney for exposing their collusion.

And it will be foreign money that pays for it. This is unbelievable.

Bricktop

Quote from: "seoulbro"

Wait...are you insinuating that America is interfering in the affairs of a foreign state?

Surely not.

Aren't THEY the victims of Russian molestation?

:001_rolleyes:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "seoulbro"

Wait...are you insinuating that America is interfering in the affairs of a foreign state?

Surely not.

Aren't THEY the victims of Russian molestation?

:001_rolleyes:

Mostly the USA, but also Saudi Arabia, and Russia are interfering in Canada's economy and politics.

Bricktop

If you compiled a list of ALL the countries the US has interfered with, you'd run out of space. It has long operated in foreign affairs on the basis of "if it's in America's interest, the ends justifies the means".

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"If you compiled a list of ALL the countries the US has interfered with, you'd run out of space. It has long operated in foreign affairs on the basis of "if it's in America's interest, the ends justifies the means".

This is very different. Washington is not interfering in Canada's resource sector and elections. It's coming from the US, but it's private money. The interference from OPEC and Russia is much smaller, but it is directed by governments. Vivian Krause has investigated the money trail.

Anonymous

I like the idea. If Ontario's auto sector was being harmed by a misinformation campaign funded by wealthy foreign interests who fear true compatition, I would want Doug Ford to  defend our industry with everything at his disposal.

This puts the Alberta NDP in an uncomfortable position because the same foreign interests that fund anti Alberta oil also financially supported the NDP in the last two elections.

Alberta Government's Canadian Energy Centre Begins Defense of Oil and Gas Industry

CALGARY — The Alberta government formally launched its energy war room Wednesday, tasking the now operational Canadian Energy Centre with pushing back against what Premier Jason Kenney called a "campaign of lies" targeting the province's oil and gas industry.

The Calgary-based centre, with its $30-million annual budget, was one of the UCP'S key campaign promises. At its launch event at SAIT, Kenney said the centre is needed because Alberta's energy sector has been targeted by a "highly co-ordinated and largely foreign funded" campaign to landlock its resources.

"We were not doing nearly enough to tell the truth in response to a campaign of lies — of defamation and disinformation based on torqued, dated and incomplete and out-of-context attacks," Kenney said. "We refuse to sit here and be a punching bag anymore. When they lie about us, we will tell the truth."

The Canadian Energy Centre will be headed by managing director Tom Olsen — a former journalist, unsuccessful UCP candidate and press secretary to former premier Ed Stelmach — and has seven other employees, according to its newly launched website. Of the centre's budget, $20 million will be funded by industry through the Technology, Innovation and Emissions Reduction (TIER) fund, while $10 million has been repurposed from advertising spending earmarked by the previous provincial government.

The war room will have three units — one to issue quick responses to misinformation, an energy literacy unit to create original content to educate people, and a data and research unit that will create a bank of information targeting investors, researchers and policy-makers.

Kenney acknowledged previous Alberta governments made efforts to promote the oilsands and combat misinformation. But he said none have been as "sustained, well-resourced or ambitious."

He said while measuring the success of the centre's efforts will be difficult, the government will conduct public polling and the centre will be subject to a performance review at the end of the government's four-year term in office.

Kenney said the Canadian Energy Centre will be expected to use "respect, civility and professionalism" in its work, adding the government has no problem with dissenting opinions, only factual misinformation. Energy Minister Sonya Savage said factual misinformation is "inexcusable."

"To those who make such biased, slanted and prejudicial statements about Alberta's energy sector, you've been put on notice," she said. "This type of activity is going to stop now."

Anonymous

She aint foreign, but she is on their payroll. The Alberta NDP actually hired this extremist cunt to head an environmental review board. :crazy:

https://scontent.fyxd2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/p960x960/80691715_10157922050307238_1780777102589558784_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ohc=l2_c67ZtCdgAQlzhwOkJXYdkdfHLPeMMuwPqAt9gbgWZny2SFOeKc8lvg&_nc_ht=scontent.fyxd2-1.fna&oh=44899809048cf5ac15598970348caa67&oe=5EADE0FA">

Anonymous

Greenies are working with Russia and Saudi Arabia to make energy more expensive and send our jobs overseas.

http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog/the-plot-against-fracking/?fbclid=IwAR23d_OeWHK-N-tjk6cCoRQUdJqKmnsWNLjVU9Wxj-kKBK7qyn8FXCtSnR0#.XhEI3yDKsDM.facebook">http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog/th ... M.facebook">http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog/the-plot-against-fracking/?fbclid=IwAR23d_OeWHK-N-tjk6cCoRQUdJqKmnsWNLjVU9Wxj-kKBK7qyn8FXCtSnR0#.XhEI3yDKsDM.facebook

How cheap energy was killed by Green lies and Russian propaganda

Most experts said shale gas was a flash in the pan and would not much affect global supplies. They were wrong. By 2011 America's declining gas output shot up and oil soon followed suit. The US has now overtaken Russia as the biggest gas producer in the world, and Saudi Arabia as the biggest oil producer. Cheap gas brought a stream of chemical companies rushing back from Europe and the Persian Gulf to manufacture in America. Gas import terminals were rebuilt as gas export terminals. The Permian basin in Texas alone now produces as much oil as the whole of the US did in 2008, and more than any Opec country except Iran and Saudi Arabia. This — not wind and solar which still provide only 2 per cent of world primary energy — is the big energy story of the past decade.

The Russians also lobbied behind the scenes against shale gas, worried about losing their grip on the world's gas supplies. Unlike most conspiracy theories about Russian meddling in Western politics, this one is out there in plain sight. The head of Nato, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, said the Russians, as part of a sophisticated disinformation operation, "engaged actively with so-called non-governmental organisations — environmental organisations working against shale gas — to maintain Europe's dependence on imported Russian gas".

The Centre for European Studies found that the Russian government has invested $95 million in NGOs campaigning against shale gas. Russia Today television ran endless anti-fracking stories, including one that "frackers are the moral equivalent of paedophiles". The US Director of National Intelligence stated that "RT runs anti-fracking programming ... reflective of the Russian Government's concern about the impact of fracking and US natural gas production on the global energy market and the potential challenges to Gazprom's profitability." Pro-Russian politicians such as Lord Truscott (married to a Russian army colonel's daughter) made speeches in parliament against fracking.