Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

Hong Kong protests

Started by Anonymous, August 16, 2019, 10:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"I have a suspicion this will not end well.

China is incredibly patient. They'll wait this out. They have other issues to deal with right now.

Anonymous

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"I have a suspicion this will not end well.

I don't know..

Time is on Peking's side.

Anonymous

Mainlanders not welcome in Hong Kong

The demonstrations in Hong Kong are increasingly flaring in its residential neighbourhoods, kilometres from the harbourside business districts where the pro-autonomy rallies began in the spring.

The clashes are now on the doorsteps of nearly every resident in Hong Kong, aggravating already-tense relationships between Hong Kong's citizens and mainland Chinese visitors and residents.

These tensions in the neighbourhoods are also spilling over to the mainland Chinese who come to Hong Kong every day to buy goods.

Those who enter Hong Kong for a day, making use of multiple-entry visas that allow them to easily cross over into the territory, are called "parallel traders."

They buy goods, such as baby formula, dried foods, cosmetics and electronics, to bring back to the mainland to resell.

Unlike tourists, they're mainly after household goods, and residents say their presence has caused shortages of daily necessities such as toothpaste and milk.

But now the day-trippers to Hong Kong are facing increasing anger. They're seen by some protesters as symbols of the mainland's reach into the former British territory.

In July, a rally in the Hong Kong district of Sheung Shui denounced the parallel traders.

In August, protesters shouted "Take back Hong Kong" at a bus carrying shoppers into the territory. Retailers now report a sharp drop in the number of Chinese coming over from the mainland.

International tourism also has plummeted. Hong Kong officials say the number of visitors dropped by 50% in mid-august after protesters staged sit-ins at Hong Kong International Airport.

Anonymous

I saw on Sixty Minutes that China is the biggest supplier of opiates to the US. And the US Postal Service is their courier.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"I saw on Sixty Minutes that China is the biggest supplier of opiates to the US. And the US Postal Service is their courier.

Think of it as payback for the West getting the Chinese hooked on opium.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"I saw on Sixty Minutes that China is the biggest supplier of opiates to the US. And the US Postal Service is their courier.

That was Britain, not the United States.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "Shen Li"

That was Britain, not the United States.

I know that. It was a joke.

Anonymous

I've heard something about that..

People can order them online.

Anonymous

Hong Kong rebels doused with teargas

HONG KONG — A water cannon spraying stinging blue dye flanked by dozens of riot officers rolled through central Hong Kong Sunday, sending protesters running in one of the fiercest clashes in three months of anti-government protests.

Chants of "five demands, not one less" rang out through the streets of central Hong Kong in the early afternoon, as tens of thousands of demonstrators again defied a police ban to stage a large march through the city.

Some appealed to their former colonial rulers, the British, and the United States to support their demands for democracy. Tensions began escalating before sundown, after police fired numerous rounds of teargas to clear protesters occupying a key road.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Hong Kong's instability is Singapore's gain.

How Singapore stands to gain from Hong Kong's troubles

WHATEVER VIEW is taken on the mayhem in Hong Kong—righteous rebellion or obscene rioting—it is a disaster for the territory's economy. And if one place stands to benefit from Hong Kong's troubles, it is that other east Asian, self-governing, Chinese-majority, financial, commercial and shipping hub: Singapore.

The two places have always seemed to have much else in common. Take the ease of doing business, where, thanks to light-touch regulation and efficient, uncorrupt bureaucracies, Singapore has second place and Hong Kong fourth in the World Bank's rankings of 190 countries. And both cities have prided themselves on their adherence to the rule of law and the low levels of violence on their streets.

https://www.economist.com/asia/2019/10/08/how-singapore-stands-to-gain-from-hong-kongs-troubles?cid1=cust/dailypicks1/n/bl/n/2019108n/owned/n/n/dailypicks1/n/n/NA/321399/n">https://www.economist.com/asia/2019/10/ ... A/321399/n">https://www.economist.com/asia/2019/10/08/how-singapore-stands-to-gain-from-hong-kongs-troubles?cid1=cust/dailypicks1/n/bl/n/2019108n/owned/n/n/dailypicks1/n/n/NA/321399/n

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"Hong Kong's instability is Singapore's gain.

How Singapore stands to gain from Hong Kong's troubles

WHATEVER VIEW is taken on the mayhem in Hong Kong—righteous rebellion or obscene rioting—it is a disaster for the territory's economy. And if one place stands to benefit from Hong Kong's troubles, it is that other east Asian, self-governing, Chinese-majority, financial, commercial and shipping hub: Singapore.

The two places have always seemed to have much else in common. Take the ease of doing business, where, thanks to light-touch regulation and efficient, uncorrupt bureaucracies, Singapore has second place and Hong Kong fourth in the World Bank's rankings of 190 countries. And both cities have prided themselves on their adherence to the rule of law and the low levels of violence on their streets.

https://www.economist.com/asia/2019/10/08/how-singapore-stands-to-gain-from-hong-kongs-troubles?cid1=cust/dailypicks1/n/bl/n/2019108n/owned/n/n/dailypicks1/n/n/NA/321399/n">https://www.economist.com/asia/2019/10/ ... A/321399/n">https://www.economist.com/asia/2019/10/08/how-singapore-stands-to-gain-from-hong-kongs-troubles?cid1=cust/dailypicks1/n/bl/n/2019108n/owned/n/n/dailypicks1/n/n/NA/321399/n

My understanding is that Singapore has already won the battle of who is the real international city of Asia.

Anonymous

it seems the big protests have fizzled away. Small groups now.

Gaon

Quote from: "seoulbro"it seems the big protests have fizzled away. Small groups now.

The fear of a harsh Chinese intervention has fizzled away too.
The Russian Rock It

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gaon"
Quote from: "seoulbro"it seems the big protests have fizzled away. Small groups now.

The fear of a harsh Chinese intervention has fizzled away too.

China wins.