Replies: 8492
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 02:06:59 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

A

Civil servants take more sick days

Started by Anonymous, August 31, 2019, 03:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Thiel"Often salaried workers can take time off in lieu of extra hours worked. It could be used for a sick day or two.

My husband gets a salary..

He still gets paid if he has a dentist appointment or some other type of commitment.

Bricktop

The Bureaucracy is a massive burden on our nations.

However, who's to blame? We elect a government, then demand they provide us protections, support, health and education, roads, welfare and community facilities.

This in turn requires people to carry out these responsibilities. So these government departments balloon in size. But their great flaw is that somewhere in the past the concept of public servants for life became the norm, but that was compensation for comparatively low salaries.

Their salaries have now outgrown those on comparable private sector occupations, yet they retain both generous leave entitlements as well as tenure.

The effect of this is that their numbers can ONLY rise. It's a chinese finger trap we cannot escape from without major re-structuring and reform of public service.

Not only does it enable only a one way fluctuation of departmental staff levels, it gives public servants a sense of immunity and disregard for responsible conduct. They take a Friday off.

So what?

There is nothing you can do about it.

In Oz, employers cannot even demand a sick certificate.

But if these bureaucrats were employment under private enterprise arrangements, their conduct would be vastly different.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"The Bureaucracy is a massive burden on our nations.

However, who's to blame? We elect a government, then demand they provide us protections, support, health and education, roads, welfare and community facilities.

This in turn requires people to carry out these responsibilities. So these government departments balloon in size. But their great flaw is that somewhere in the past the concept of public servants for life became the norm, but that was compensation for comparatively low salaries.

Their salaries have now outgrown those on comparable private sector occupations, yet they retain both generous leave entitlements as well as tenure.

The effect of this is that their numbers can ONLY rise. It's a chinese finger trap we cannot escape from without major re-structuring and reform of public service.

Not only does it enable only a one way fluctuation of departmental staff levels, it gives public servants a sense of immunity and disregard for responsible conduct. They take a Friday off.

So what?

There is nothing you can do about it.

In Oz, employers cannot even demand a sick certificate.

But if these bureaucrats were employment under private enterprise arrangements, their conduct would be vastly different.

The federal and provincial civil service could be trimmed without negatively affecting delivery of services. My boy is a federal civil servant. They slice responsibilities razor thin. If they were a private employer, they would have fewer employees.

Bricktop

When I was working in a Federal Department, I estimated that 30% of the staff could be cut with no detriment to service levels.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"When I was working in a Federal Department, I estimated that 30% of the staff could be cut with no detriment to service levels.

I work for our provincial government..

We have surplus employees.

Bricktop

Because you cannot offload them.

This has to be rectified.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Because you cannot offload them.

This has to be rectified.

That's good. I don't want my boy and his girlfriend moving in with me.

Odinson

When I worked for the local goverment, I stated that you could easily kick out half of the personnel..

And then I said that all we do is move from one coffee table to the next..

They didnt believe me even though we had been sitting there talking bullshit for 45 mins.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"When I worked for the local goverment, I stated that you could easily kick out half of the personnel..

They didnt believe me even though we had been sitting there talking bullshit for 45 mins.

I work with a lady who's on social media most of the day.

Odinson

Depressing job..

The days seemed endless..

Even though everybody went home after 4-5h.. But they wrote down 8h.

The theft of state property was rampant..

Also buying stuff for yourself with state credit card was rampant.

Odinson

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Odinson"When I worked for the local goverment, I stated that you could easily kick out half of the personnel..

I work with a lady who's on social media most of the day.

Sounds familiar.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"Depressing job..

The days seemed endless..

Even though everybody went home after 4-5h.. But they wrote down 8h.

The theft of state property was rampant..

Also buying stuff for yourself with state credit card was rampant.

Okay, it's not that bad here..

But, people take paid sick days when they are not sick.

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"But rarely take unpaid sick days.

There's no such thing as unpaid sick days in the provincial civil service.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"But rarely take unpaid sick days.

I read sick days costs the economy $16.6 billion in 2017. The problem with that number is that it implies these civil servant's employment is necessary in the first place.