Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

I found difficult to pronounce "assume" and "suit"

Started by jaysings, September 11, 2013, 03:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaysings

I don't get how people keep the "sju" sound different from "ʃu" sound. like "suit" to " shoot", I can't help myself stop pronouncing "ʃu" sound even though I repeatedly try to pronounce the "sju" sound right. but the wierd thing is, some words with "ju" sound like "few" "you" and " beautiful" are absolutely okay for me to pronounce, but it drives me crazy when "s" hooks up with "ju" :x

Anonymous

Quote from: "jaysings"I don't get how people keep the "sju" sound different from "ʃu" sound. like "suit" to " shoot", I can't help myself stop pronouncing "ʃu" sound even though I repeatedly try to pronounce the "sju" sound right. but the wierd thing is, some words with "ju" sound like "few" "you" and " beautiful" are absolutely okay for me to pronounce, but it drives me crazy when "s" hooks up with "ju" :x

I wish I could help you with this Jaysings, but it is something only you can do for yourself.

Romero

It can only take practice! Certain sounds can be very difficult when speaking another language, like how I can't roll my r's when trying to speak Spanish.

You can try to keep it simple. Don't worry about making a perfect "sju" pronunciation. "Assume" can be "a-soom" and "suite" can be "sweet".

jaysings

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "jaysings"I don't get how people keep the "sju" sound different from "ʃu" sound. like "suit" to " shoot", I can't help myself stop pronouncing "ʃu" sound even though I repeatedly try to pronounce the "sju" sound right. but the wierd thing is, some words with "ju" sound like "few" "you" and " beautiful" are absolutely okay for me to pronounce, but it drives me crazy when "s" hooks up with "ju" :x

I wish I could help you with this Jaysings, but it is something only you can do for yourself.

I have an instructor to teach me this, but I can't speak it right

jaysings

Quote from: "Romero"It can only take practice! Certain sounds can be very difficult when speaking another language, like how I can't roll my r's when trying to speak Spanish.

You can try to keep it simple. Don't worry about making a perfect "sju" pronunciation. "Assume" can be "a-soom" and "suite" can be "sweet".

people are used to look confused when I speak "suit" having "ʃu"pronunciation. Especially, I try to speak it out fast, they will ask me to repeat

Odinson

When you pronounce "shoot", the sh is kinda like cat hissing.

It depends how close your tongue is to your teeth. With "shoot", the tongue is further away from the teeth.

It also depends in what concept you use those words.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"It can only take practice! Certain sounds can be very difficult when speaking another language, like how I can't roll my r's when trying to speak Spanish.

Spanish pronunciation is very difficult for me..

I studied the language for a month and then gave up.

:(

jaysings

Quote from: "Odinson"When you pronounce "shoot", the sh is kinda like cat hissing.

It depends how close your tongue is to your teeth. With "shoot", the tongue is further away from the teeth.

It also depends in what concept you use those words.

I have no any trouble to pronounce the sh pronunciation, but I just can't pronounce the "sju" sound because of the combination of "s" and "ju" sounds. I inevitably pout my lips for uttering the "ju" sound and make it sound like "sh"