Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

9/11 was twelve years ago today

Started by Anonymous, September 11, 2013, 08:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I still remember that day and my reaction to the news of those horrific mass murders..

I was watching the morning news and weather forecast when I learned of it..

It all seemed so surreal..

What were you doing when you learned of those shocking events?

Renee

I posted this on the VF forum already but I will post it here as well.

I was home alone as my husband was on the other side of the country working on renovating a house that we would move to in the next year. He had been gone about 3 weeks and was scheduled to fly home on the coming weekend.  Needless to say he never made it home that week as planes were grounded all over the US. I was very pregnant with my third child at the time and I was scheduled to go out on maternity leave from my job at the end of the next week. I was on route 3 east headed for the office when I heard on the radio that a plane had hit one of the towers. There were no details at that point nobody really knew the size of the plane or where it had come from. I remember thinking that it didn't surprise me because if you have ever seen the amount of small planes and helicopters flying over the Hudson and around the city it's an absolute wonder more crashes don't happen.

When I got to the office parking lot which was just on the other side of the Hudson from NYC, I could see a plume of smoke coming from the trade center and I thought to myself; "that was no small plane". Shortly after that the second plane hit. Some people actually saw it hit the south tower from the office windows.  We were all glued to the TV in the conference room when we heard that the pentagon had been hit as well.  At that point I think a kind of panic set in and everyone was trying to call their families and friends but cell service was crippled and the remaining circuits were jammed. That's when most of us just packed up our shit and headed out the door. All I could think of was get to my kids and get home. As got outside and looked across the river all you could see from the trade center area was smoke and an enormous dust cloud and as I was leaving the parking lot that's when I heard on the radio that the south tower had collapsed. I wasn't sure if I had heard correctly because there was so much static on the car radio. There were sirens going off everywhere; emergency vehicles from all over the NJ side of the river were mobilizing and heading for the Lincoln tunnel; traffic in the eastbound direction of rt. 3 and south bound rt. 17 was insane. Luckily the westbound lanes of Rt. 3 were moving but slow and packing up fast.  I finally got to my daughters school and found I wasn't the only parent that had the same idea because the school parking lot was jammed. I finally rounded up my brood and headed for home.

Later that day I found out that a close friend of the family had not heard from his wife who was scheduled to be at the trade center for a meeting that morning. It turned out that she was on the floor just above where the first plane hit. Her body was never recovered. I know 4 other people neighbors and friend who lost loved ones that day and for most of those people the scars still aren't healed and I doubt they ever really will.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Odinson

I think I was at the garage.

I was just like.. Huh... Oh well...

DidnĀ“t mean much.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"I posted this on the VF forum already but I will post it here as well.

I was home alone as my husband was on the other side of the country working on renovating a house that we would move to in the next year. He had been gone about 3 weeks and was scheduled to fly home on the coming weekend.  Needless to say he never made it home that week as planes were grounded all over the US. I was very pregnant with my third child at the time and I was scheduled to go out on maternity leave from my job at the end of the next week. I was on route 3 east headed for the office when I heard on the radio that a plane had hit one of the towers. There were no details at that point nobody really knew the size of the plane or where it had come from. I remember thinking that it didn't surprise me because if you have ever seen the amount of small planes and helicopters flying over the Hudson and around the city it's an absolute wonder more crashes don't happen.

When I got to the office parking lot which was just on the other side of the Hudson from NYC, I could see a plume of smoke coming from the trade center and I thought to myself; "that was no small plane". Shortly after that the second plane hit. Some people actually saw it hit the south tower from the office windows.  We were all glued to the TV in the conference room when we heard that the pentagon had been hit as well.  At that point I think a kind of panic set in and everyone was trying to call their families and friends but cell service was crippled and the remaining circuits were jammed. That's when most of us just packed up our shit and headed out the door. All I could think of was get to my kids and get home. As got outside and looked across the river all you could see from the trade center area was smoke and an enormous dust cloud and as I was leaving the parking lot that's when I heard on the radio that the south tower had collapsed. I wasn't sure if I had heard correctly because there was so much static on the car radio. There were sirens going off everywhere; emergency vehicles from all over the NJ side of the river were mobilizing and heading for the Lincoln tunnel; traffic in the eastbound direction of rt. 3 and south bound rt. 17 was insane. Luckily the westbound lanes of Rt. 3 were moving but slow and packing up fast.  I finally got to my daughters school and found I wasn't the only parent that had the same idea because the school parking lot was jammed. I finally rounded up my brood and headed for home.

Later that day I found out that a close friend of the family had not heard from his wife who was scheduled to be at the trade center for a meeting that morning. It turned out that she was on the floor just above where the first plane hit. Her body was never recovered. I know 4 other people neighbors and friend who lost loved ones that day and for most of those people the scars still aren't healed and I doubt they ever really will.

Oh my goodness, a witness to the carnage of that day..

Even thirty years after that horrific day your memories will be fresh..

I am sorry to hear about your friends' wife who perished..

I could not imagine how awful that would be.

:cry:

Anonymous

I was still in high school at the time. I remember they brought a TV into home room. Classes cancelled that day.

Odinson

I was hoping the situation would escalade into this.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"I was hoping the situation would escalade into this.

I never saw the movie Predator.

Odinson

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Well it is a movie for men like me. ;)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"

I knew it was popular, but it is not my type of movie.

Odinson

Turning men into smash with a minigun and arnie making guys fly with a grenade-launcher is not your type of movie?

Not to mention that the alien predator is skinning humans...

Anonymous

Turning men into smash with a minigun and arnie making guys fly with a grenade-launcher is not your type of movie?

I don't like violence in movies or in real life.

Odinson

What movies do you like?

Anonymous

What movies do you like?

I like family friendly movies without vulgar language or violence..

Disney has made some very good movies.

Odinson

What movies do you like?

I like family friendly movies without vulgar language or violence..

Disney has made some very good movies.

Yes they have.