News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10779
Total votes: : 5

Last post: Today at 07:23:55 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

COVID-19 >> New Drug Activity & VACCINE TRACKING!!

Started by cc, January 26, 2020, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 6 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

QuoteThe CEO of the Surrey Board of Trade, Anita Huberman, says reopening the economy requires a science-based approach until a vaccine is found.

Science has been wrong about everything..

We can't prevent everybody from catching the virus, the only thing we can do is make sure it doesn't overwhelm our hospitals.

Anonymous

The first case in the US came from China. But, in the East it can be traced to Europe.

Vancouver

B.C. hairstylists and barbers sign petition asking not to reopen first

Some hair stylists and barbers are calling on the B.C. government not to single out hair salons to reopen first as the province moves to kickstart the economy.

B.C. Premier John Horgan has talked about reopening the economy in phases starting mid-May.

However, a petition on Change.org, which had more than 700 signatures as of Saturday morning, urges the government not to allow hair stylists and barbers to go back to work first.

"Our government has made incredible strides in controlling the spread of COVID-19 and must understand that a decision to reopen salons first would put our communities and economy at greater risk than benefit. We hope that businesses who operate in as proximity to the public as nurses continue to remain closed at this time," the petition states.

The petition questions whether stylists would be provided personal protective equipment, and whether they will they have access to widespread testing.

"We need to take thoughtful steps, as we have thus far. We hope that our government continues to be measured and informed in their decisions to benefit and protect us," it states.
Time is malleable

cc

It's a no brainer .. and as stupid as it gets.  I was shocked to see such close contact be told to open first
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"B.C. hairstylists and barbers sign petition asking not to reopen first

Some hair stylists and barbers are calling on the B.C. government not to single out hair salons to reopen first as the province moves to kickstart the economy.

B.C. Premier John Horgan has talked about reopening the economy in phases starting mid-May.

However, a petition on Change.org, which had more than 700 signatures as of Saturday morning, urges the government not to allow hair stylists and barbers to go back to work first.

"Our government has made incredible strides in controlling the spread of COVID-19 and must understand that a decision to reopen salons first would put our communities and economy at greater risk than benefit. We hope that businesses who operate in as proximity to the public as nurses continue to remain closed at this time," the petition states.

The petition questions whether stylists would be provided personal protective equipment, and whether they will they have access to widespread testing.

"We need to take thoughtful steps, as we have thus far. We hope that our government continues to be measured and informed in their decisions to benefit and protect us," it states.

My girlfriend will be making an appointment with her hairstylist as soon as Ford allows that to happen. I say the people who signed that petition are a minority opinion.

@realAzhyaAryola

Do we know what treatment Boris Johnson was on to help him recover?
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"Do we know what treatment Boris Johnson was on to help him recover?

O2

cc

Yes. O2 and according to him, a LOT of it

https://www.foxnews.com/world/boris-johnson-describes-coronavirus-fight-contingency-plans-made-during-treatment">He came out and talked about it today

It was a very close call. says "it was '50-50' for 4 days  on whether ventilator would be used"

And yes, "Johnson described how doctors supplied him with "litres and litres of oxygen" to avoid a worst-case scenario. He understood the stark reality of his situation when the "bloody indicators kept going the wrong way."

"I was not in particularly brilliant shape, and I was aware there were contingency plans in place. The doctors had all sorts of arrangements for what to do if things went badly wrong," Johnson said.

From near death to a new family in less than three weeks - baby born 2 weeks after he returned home

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"B.C. hairstylists and barbers sign petition asking not to reopen first

I guarantee that the day hair salons are allowed to reopen in BC they will be super busy. Both stylist and customer will wear masks. These idiots with their petition don't represent the majority.

What are you so fucking scared? You're in your 30's and I assume you don't smoke or have respiratory issues. It's a virus, not the fucking plague.

Anonymous

I'm going to my hair salon on the fourteenth when they reopen..

I'll be wearing a mask like I have since January and I'll carry a small bottle of sanitizer in my purse.

cc

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/fda-approves-intravenous-coronavirus-antibody-test">FDA approves intravenous coronavirus antibody test

(Reuters) - Roche (ROG.S) has won emergency approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for an antibody test to determine whether people have ever been infected with the coronavirus, the Swiss drugmaker said on Sunday.

Thomas Schinecker, Roche's head of diagnostics, said the company aims to more than double production of tests from about 50 million a month to significantly more than 100 million a month by the end of the year.

Governments, businesses and individuals are seeking such blood tests to learn who may have had the disease, who may have some immunity and to potentially craft strategies to help end national lockdowns.

Basel-based Roche, which also makes molecular tests to identify active COVID-19 infections, said its antibody test has a specificity rate exceeding 99.8% and sensitivity of 100%, meaning tests would show very few false positives and no false negatives.

A false-positive result could lead to the mistaken conclusion that someone has immunity. Roche said its test relies on intravenous blood draws, with higher accuracy than finger-prick tests.

"If you take blood from a finger prick, you will never be able to achieve the same level of specificity that you will achieve ... when you take blood from the vein," Schinecker said.

"You have to have very, very high specificity. Even 0.1% or 0.2% makes a difference."

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/fda-approves-intravenous-coronavirus-antibody-test">FDA approves intravenous coronavirus antibody test

(Reuters) - Roche (ROG.S) has won emergency approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for an antibody test to determine whether people have ever been infected with the coronavirus, the Swiss drugmaker said on Sunday.

Thomas Schinecker, Roche's head of diagnostics, said the company aims to more than double production of tests from about 50 million a month to significantly more than 100 million a month by the end of the year.

Governments, businesses and individuals are seeking such blood tests to learn who may have had the disease, who may have some immunity and to potentially craft strategies to help end national lockdowns.

Basel-based Roche, which also makes molecular tests to identify active COVID-19 infections, said its antibody test has a specificity rate exceeding 99.8% and sensitivity of 100%, meaning tests would show very few false positives and no false negatives.

A false-positive result could lead to the mistaken conclusion that someone has immunity. Roche said its test relies on intravenous blood draws, with higher accuracy than finger-prick tests.

"If you take blood from a finger prick, you will never be able to achieve the same level of specificity that you will achieve ... when you take blood from the vein," Schinecker said.

"You have to have very, very high specificity. Even 0.1% or 0.2% makes a difference."

So, if the results of this test are negative, it will be like a get out of lockdown card.

cc

Define "negative" ... If one shows antibodies, one has the card

Assuming science finds there are not recurrences

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Define "negative" ... If one shows antibodies, one has the card

Assuming science finds there are not recurrences

Maybe he meant positive for antibodies.

cc