News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10766
Total votes: : 5

Last post: October 11, 2024, 05:14:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

COVID-19 >> New Drug Activity & VACCINE TRACKING!!

Started by cc, January 26, 2020, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

of course .. and they all are trying to slow T down

What is going on is as vile as vile gets .. .they have taken politics to levels never seen before
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=377126 time=1598224110 user_id=114
Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=377115 time=1598220901 user_id=56
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=377111 time=1598219751 user_id=3254
I saw the president's news conference already in progress, so I missed some of it..

It's about convalescent plasma, but I don't know if it has been or will be approved as a treatment.

Trump granted an emergency authorization for the usage of convalescent plasma to treat coronavirus patients. Convalescent plasma has been proven to reduce mortality by 35%. I assume this authorization means anybody that wants it can get it as a treatment.

There would be a supply problem no? The plasma comes from recovered COVID patients.

How many infected people can be treated with the blood of a recovered patient, I don't know. I know the White House is appealing to the recovered to donate their plasma.

Frood

Quote from: cc post_id=377136 time=1598225222 user_id=88
I failed to find how many victims can be served from one recovered person's blood

I suspect the number could be very high - but can't find anything on it

If anyone finds info on this please post

Sharing info so we could all be as informed as possible is why I started this thread .. and it seems to be working

About 500ml intravenously of convalescent plasma.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/coronavirus-what-is-plasma-therapy-137813">https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconvers ... apy-137813">https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/coronavirus-what-is-plasma-therapy-137813
Blahhhhhh...

Odinson

Our economy went down by 3,2% compared to the last quarter.

Finland has kept factories and stores running..

Germany and Italy shut down their dockyards while Finland kept on building boats.

Hopefully other countries got crippled enough for us to get more export business..

Anonymous

I read a headline that China had a vaccine three weeks before Russia. They are vaccinating health care workers first.

cc

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=377158 time=1598227764 user_id=1676
I failed to find how many victims can be served from one recovered person's blood

Sharing info so we could all be as informed as possible is why I started this thread .. and it seems to be working

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/coronavirus-what-is-plasma-therapy-137813">https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconvers ... apy-137813">https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/coronavirus-what-is-plasma-therapy-137813

Yes, After much searching I found the same - That's a lot of material so likely only one per donor .. at best  1 per each "donation" as donors can repeat after time

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=377295 time=1598288479 user_id=88
Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=377158 time=1598227764 user_id=1676

Yes, After much searching I found the same - That's a lot of material so likely only one per donor .. at best  1 per each "donation" as donors can repeat after time

Hence, the urgency of donors.

cc

Right!!

https://www.theepochtimes.com/worlds-first-re-infected-covid-19-patient-reported-in-hong-kong_3474011.html">First CCP Virus Reinfection Case Confirmed in Hong Kong, Researchers Say

A 33-year-old Hong Kong man became the world's first confirmed COVID-19 patient to be reinfected with a mutated strain of the CCP virus, according to researchers, who said the finding could carry significant implications for survivors of the respiratory disease.

The patient, an IT professional with no underlying health conditions, tested positive a second time for the virus on Aug. 15 during an entry screening at the Hong Kong airport following a trip to Spain and the UK.

When he first fell sick about 4 1/2 months ago, the man had a cough, sore throat, fever, and a headache, and was hospitalized on March 26, according to a report by Hong Kong University researchers.

He eventually recovered on April 14. It's unclear when or how he became reinfected, but he has remained asymptomatic throughout the second infection.

After genetic analysis, the researchers found at least 24 differences between the genomes of two strains of the SARS-CoV-2 virus (scientific name for the novel coronavirus), suggesting that patients who recover from COVID-19 remain vulnerable.

The second strain is most closely associated with samples collected in Switzerland and the UK from July to August, according to the researchers' study, which has been accepted for publication in the medical journal Clinical Infectious Diseases.

While cases of patients relapsing have been cited in China and other countries previously, the Hong Kong case is the first reinfection proven with genetic sequencing. The findings, the researchers said, serve as a reminder that immunity after recovery and virus vaccination cannot permanently shield one from the virus's harm. The virus is likely here to stay, similar to the common cold, and recovered patients should still observe health guidelines, such as wearing a mask, following social distancing rules, and considering vaccination options, they said.

cc

Right!!

https://www.theepochtimes.com/worlds-first-re-infected-covid-19-patient-reported-in-hong-kong_3474011.html">First CCP Virus Reinfection Case Confirmed in Hong Kong, Researchers Say

A 33-year-old Hong Kong man became the world's first confirmed COVID-19 patient to be reinfected with a mutated strain of the CCP virus, according to researchers, who said the finding could carry significant implications for survivors of the respiratory disease.

The patient, an IT professional with no underlying health conditions, tested positive a second time for the virus on Aug. 15 during an entry screening at the Hong Kong airport following a trip to Spain and the UK.

When he first fell sick about 4 1/2 months ago, the man had a cough, sore throat, fever, and a headache, and was hospitalized on March 26, according to a report by Hong Kong University researchers.

He eventually recovered on April 14. It's unclear when or how he became reinfected, but he has remained asymptomatic throughout the second infection.

After genetic analysis, the researchers found at least 24 differences between the genomes of two strains of the SARS-CoV-2 virus (scientific name for the novel coronavirus), suggesting that patients who recover from COVID-19 remain vulnerable.

The second strain is most closely associated with samples collected in Switzerland and the UK from July to August, according to the researchers' study, which has been accepted for publication in the medical journal Clinical Infectious Diseases.

While cases of patients relapsing have been cited in China and other countries previously, the Hong Kong case is the first reinfection proven with genetic sequencing. The findings, the researchers said, serve as a reminder that immunity after recovery and virus vaccination cannot permanently shield one from the virus's harm. The virus is likely here to stay, similar to the common cold, and recovered patients should still observe health guidelines, such as wearing a mask, following social distancing rules, and considering vaccination options, they said.

cc

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/08/24/astrazeneca-might-receive-emergency-use-authorizat/">AstraZeneca Might Receive Emergency Use Authorization for Its Coronavirus Vaccine

- This is the one connected to Oxford University

One report suggests that the U.K.-based company might win the coronavirus vaccine race in the U.S.

The Financial Times reported on Sunday that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) might grant an emergency use authorization (EUA) in October to a vaccine for COVID-19 being developed by AstraZeneca (NYSE:AZN) and licensed from Oxford University. The vaccine, AZD1222, is currently in a phase 3 clinical trial that is now trying to enroll 30,000 people around the world in order to assess the safety and efficacy of the vaccine candidate.

With the COVID-19 pandemic having so far killed over 800,000 people worldwide -- and with reports that President Trump is trying to fast-track a vaccine before this November's U.S. election -- there is pressure on the FDA to grant approval for a vaccine as soon as possible. According to the Financial Times report, one plan being considered is for AstraZeneca to submit an EUA based on part of the phase 3 study being conducted in the U.K., involving a subset of 10,000 people.

According to FDA guidance, emergency use authorization might happen after "a determination by the FDA that the known and potential benefits of a product, when used to diagnose, prevent, or treat serious or life-threatening diseases, outweigh the known and potential risks of the product." None of the phase 1 vaccine trials would likely be deemed sufficient for an EUA, as they have only safety and antibody data and are not testing efficacy in people.

While AstraZeneca's 10,000 subset of its phase 3 trial would likely be sufficient for an EUA, the company denies any talks with U.S. officials about submitting one, according to Fortune magazine. "AstraZeneca has not discussed emergency use authorization with the US government and it would be premature to speculate on that possibility," the company said in a statement on Monday.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=377370 time=1598317306 user_id=88
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/08/24/astrazeneca-might-receive-emergency-use-authorizat/">AstraZeneca Might Receive Emergency Use Authorization for Its Coronavirus Vaccine

- This is the one connected to Oxford University

One report suggests that the U.K.-based company might win the coronavirus vaccine race in the U.S.

The Financial Times reported on Sunday that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) might grant an emergency use authorization (EUA) in October to a vaccine for COVID-19 being developed by AstraZeneca (NYSE:AZN) and licensed from Oxford University. The vaccine, AZD1222, is currently in a phase 3 clinical trial that is now trying to enroll 30,000 people around the world in order to assess the safety and efficacy of the vaccine candidate.

With the COVID-19 pandemic having so far killed over 800,000 people worldwide -- and with reports that President Trump is trying to fast-track a vaccine before this November's U.S. election -- there is pressure on the FDA to grant approval for a vaccine as soon as possible. According to the Financial Times report, one plan being considered is for AstraZeneca to submit an EUA based on part of the phase 3 study being conducted in the U.K., involving a subset of 10,000 people.

According to FDA guidance, emergency use authorization might happen after "a determination by the FDA that the known and potential benefits of a product, when used to diagnose, prevent, or treat serious or life-threatening diseases, outweigh the known and potential risks of the product." None of the phase 1 vaccine trials would likely be deemed sufficient for an EUA, as they have only safety and antibody data and are not testing efficacy in people.

While AstraZeneca's 10,000 subset of its phase 3 trial would likely be sufficient for an EUA, the company denies any talks with U.S. officials about submitting one, according to Fortune magazine. "AstraZeneca has not discussed emergency use authorization with the US government and it would be premature to speculate on that possibility," the company said in a statement on Monday.

That would be terrific for Americans if they got an EUA which is similar to what Russia and China have.

Frood

That's the one Australia has an agreement to manufacture here for ourselves... but I won't be taking it.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

I want to get the vaccine as soon as one is available here.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=377439 time=1598329782 user_id=1676
You can be the guinea pig....

By this stage they know if the vaccines work.