News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10766
Total votes: : 5

Last post: Today at 05:14:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

COVID-19 >> New Drug Activity & VACCINE TRACKING!!

Started by cc, January 26, 2020, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=384220 time=1601091692 user_id=88
Yes, and we also should have learned and prepared from what happened to others in the past .. something politicians don't care for as they are what they are for only a limited period of time .. so don't do anything for people 10 or 20 years after any given day unless they can make it  a gainful immediate item like climate

Being so close to China, Taiwan didn't have the luxury of putting off preparation like the West did....they knew another SARS was inevitable.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=384192 time=1601081900 user_id=88
https://server9.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sfi/safoyxnpdbx/p2/news/7357230/bc-doctor-sars-treat-severe-covid-19/">A B.C. doctor who helped discover an enzyme and develop a drug to stop the spread of SARS more than 20 years ago is using that knowledge to fight COVID-19.

Dr. Josef Penninger, a UBC life sciences institute director, co-discovered an enzyme called ACE2 while working as a researcher in Toronto in the late '90s.

A few years later, during the SARS epidemic, Penninger discovered that ACE2 was the virus' gateway into healthy cells, where they both replicated and destroyed tissue. In the case of SARS, it was lung tissue in particular.

He then developed a drug that blocked the enzyme and stopped the virus from entering healthy tissue.

Soon after, the number of SARS cases began to drop around the world — along with funding for clinical trials.

When COVID-19, which is also a coronavirus like SARS, began to spread, Penninger resurrected his research.

Due to his previous work during the SARS outbreak, he was able to begin clinical trials well before other researchers.

On Thursday, the promising findings of the first clinical trial of his new treatment were released in the Lancet Medical Journal.

The patient, a 45-year-old woman in Vienna who was on a ventilator due to severe COVID-19 symptoms, showed improvement shortly after receiving the drug known as APN01.

"In one or two days, the virus disappeared in her blood system and also in her lungs," Penninger told Global News. "Secondly, the cytokine storm went down within two to three days. She developed perfect immunity from the virus."

"She is now back home and healthy."

A cytokine storm is an overreaction of the body's immune system, which can be fatal if someone has COVID-19.

Study recruitment is still underway around the world, with the hope that the results from 200 other severe cases of COVID-19 patients will be published by November.

If all goes well, Penninger said there could be a drug ready for market by early next year.

[It's good of course, and may well become one of the best ... but, I can't help wondering why he did not start immediately and is not far ahead of the others, some of whom are nearing the end of 3rd stage (final) trials for vaccines ]

Why wasn't the development of this prioritized from the beginning.

Anonymous

cc

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=384261 time=1601131868 user_id=3254
So many things in this pandemic don't make sense.

Yes. The people in charge and those who report to them are "feeling their way" along .... resulting in great informational  inconsistencies and 180 turns

Even simple instructions need to be weighed against "common sense".

For some time, most actually told us that masks only prevent output of virus "from" those infected .. and did not protect from input for those not infected .. totally defying simple logic to the point of being ludicrous .. and did a lot of harm as it was / is a deterrent for people to wear them for self protection when near other people .. and many of our "advisors" kept saying it over and over  .. I wanted to scream "stfu" .. every time you say it you are endangering people

This is why I'm not taking any predictions or time estimates seriously .. Those in charge do not know much with certainty & thus can err greatly on the side of caution (ass-covering). The best way to get medicine info is from those directly involved .. i.e. Oxford U etc and manufacturers themselves
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

East Asian countries  didn't get wrong advice about masks like Western countries did..

They were able to contain the spread better than the West.

cc

By a very wide margin in fact

Other countries are still fighting uphill

cc

I'm preparing data on the leading vaccine candidates and will be posting up to date progress on the top and most likely (and soonest)  shortly

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=384437 time=1601261988 user_id=88
By a very wide margin in fact

Other countries are still fighting uphill

Taiwan had a pan green president, Chen Shui Bian, when SARS was killing hundreds of people in Taiwan..

He looked as unprepared as Western leaders do today with COVID-19..

His government learned quickly and made sure Taiwan was ready for the next pandemic.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=384441 time=1601262265 user_id=88
I'm preparing data on the leading vaccine candidates and will be posting up to date progress on the top and most likely (and soonest)  shortly

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

cc

I have bumped last post on page so that we can get a good overall look at VACCINES at a page top

cc

I will keep a close eye on all major vaccine candidates and keep their status up to date

I'm using CTV info that is supposed to be updates regularly

If I find a better source or individual update, I'll switch to it - Anyone who finds anything new, please let me and us know

To be approved for use, any potential vaccine must move through a well-established testing process that involves three phases of human trials. The first and second phases focus on monitoring whether the drug produces the desired response from the human immune system. The third phase involves far more test subjects and aims to determine whether the vaccine candidate is actually able to stop the virus from infecting a body.

CTVNews.ca has compiled a guide to some of the vaccine candidates that have shown the most promise in early testing, have been touted by globally-renowned companies, or are under development right here in Canada.

I will highlight  Canadian deals made with candidates already - and will post any new deals

cc

PRIME CANDIDATES (All started Final Stage Testing)

1. Oxford/AstraZeneca ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 (Final Stage Testing Started End of August)

One of the West's leading contenders in the race for a vaccine, ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 was among the first to start human trials, in late April. Also known as AZD1222, the vaccine candidate is based on a virus found in chimpanzees. Early results showed that ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 can produce positive immune responses, and late-stage testing began at the end of August, with the backing of the U.S. government – but when one subject developed a potential side effect, it was briefly put on hold.

The Canadian government announced on Sept. 25 that it has secured a deal AstraZeneca for up to 20 million doses of its vaccine candidate.

2. Moderna mRNA-1273   (Final Stage Testing Started July 27)

One of the first vaccine candidates to be developed, it was shipped to the U.S. government in February and human testing began in March. The company has said that mRNA-1273 is able to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus in a lab setting, and 30,000 volunteers were given the potential vaccine starting July 27 as part of the final phase of human trials.

The Canadian government says it has signed a deal to distribute Moderna's vaccine, if it is approved by Health Canada.

3. Johnson & Johnson Ad26.COV2-S (Final Stage Testing Started Sept 23)

Johnson & Johnson began human tests of its potential coronavirus vaccine in Belgium and the U.S. in July. A final phase, involving 60,000 volunteers in eight countries, commenced Sept. 23. Modelled after a successful Ebola vaccine, the Johnson & Johnson candidate is unique among the front-runners in that it can be administered in a single dose.

Canada announced Aug. 31 that it has signed a deal with the company to secure a supply of its vaccine candidate, should it be approved by Health Canada.

4. Pfizer vaccine candidate    (Final Stage Testing Started in late July)

One of the biggest names in the global pharmaceutical game, Pfizer is working with German firm BioNTech to develop and test a potential mRNA-based vaccine. Doses were given to human test subjects in Germany in April and in the U.S. in May. Company CEO Albert Bourla said a few weeks later that one vaccine candidate could be ready by October "if things go well, and the stars are aligned." Phase III trials began in late July.

Canada has signed a deal to distribute any Pfizer vaccine approved by Health Canada, and the German government gave the effort a 750-million-euro funding boost in September.

5. Novavax NVX-CoV2373 (Final Stage Testing Started Sept 25)

Novavax says its potential vaccine uses a protein made with the company's proprietary nanotechnology to stimulate immune responses. On Sept. 25, the company started late-stage trials.

The federal government announced Aug. 31 that it had reached a deal to receive 76 million doses of NVX-CoV2373, provided the American vaccine candidate is approved by Health Canada

And Dinky, We already know you don't want it.  - PLEASE  don't shit up this serious info .   ac_smile I put a lot into getting it together

Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=384449 time=1601262815 user_id=88
PRIME CANDIDATES (All started Final Stage Testing)

1. Oxford/AstraZeneca ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 (Final Stage Testing Started End of August)

One of the West's leading contenders in the race for a vaccine, ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 was among the first to start human trials, in late April. Also known as AZD1222, the vaccine candidate is based on a virus found in chimpanzees. Early results showed that ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 can produce positive immune responses, and late-stage testing began at the end of August, with the backing of the U.S. government – but when one subject developed a potential side effect, it was briefly put on hold.

The Canadian government announced on Sept. 25 that it has secured a deal AstraZeneca for up to 20 million doses of its vaccine candidate.

2. Moderna mRNA-1273   (Final Stage Testing Started July 27)

One of the first vaccine candidates to be developed, it was shipped to the U.S. government in February and human testing began in March. The company has said that mRNA-1273 is able to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus in a lab setting, and 30,000 volunteers were given the potential vaccine starting July 27 as part of the final phase of human trials.

The Canadian government says it has signed a deal to distribute Moderna's vaccine, if it is approved by Health Canada.

3. Johnson & Johnson Ad26.COV2-S (Final Stage Testing Started Sept 23)

Johnson & Johnson began human tests of its potential coronavirus vaccine in Belgium and the U.S. in July. A final phase, involving 60,000 volunteers in eight countries, commenced Sept. 23. Modelled after a successful Ebola vaccine, the Johnson & Johnson candidate is unique among the front-runners in that it can be administered in a single dose.

Canada announced Aug. 31 that it has signed a deal with the company to secure a supply of its vaccine candidate, should it be approved by Health Canada.

4. Pfizer vaccine candidate    (Final Stage Testing Started in late July)

One of the biggest names in the global pharmaceutical game, Pfizer is working with German firm BioNTech to develop and test a potential mRNA-based vaccine. Doses were given to human test subjects in Germany in April and in the U.S. in May. Company CEO Albert Bourla said a few weeks later that one vaccine candidate could be ready by October "if things go well, and the stars are aligned." Phase III trials began in late July.

Canada has signed a deal to distribute any Pfizer vaccine approved by Health Canada, and the German government gave the effort a 750-million-euro funding boost in September.

5. Novavax NVX-CoV2373 (Final Stage Testing Started Sept 25)

Novavax says its potential vaccine uses a protein made with the company's proprietary nanotechnology to stimulate immune responses. On Sept. 25, the company started late-stage trials.

The federal government announced Aug. 31 that it had reached a deal to receive 76 million doses of NVX-CoV2373, provided the American vaccine candidate is approved by Health Canada

And Dinky, We already know you don't want it.  - PLEASE  don't shit up this serious info .   ac_smile I put a lot into getting it together

Any bets on which one we will see first. I will get us started and say the second one.

cc

Thanks, but Naw, I won't get into predicting ..  I'd rather keep eyes on and see actual developments as time goes on

We''ll soon see how each progresses. I hope I can pick up on progress / status of each.

If anyone sees updated info on any, please post

There are some other players, but one is Russia and a cpl are China - a deal with China for one was reneged on  by China .. What else is new about China keeping its word on anything  so I left them out

Others are still in earlier testing so I left them out for now .. focussing on those in final testing (stage 3) & those most capable of mass productions & most likely to be available here somewhat quickly