News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10762
Total votes: : 5

Last post: Today at 12:15:37 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

COVID-19 >> New Drug Activity & VACCINE TRACKING!!

Started by cc, January 26, 2020, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

Today  the head honchos for CDC did a very long TV talk

One or more COVID-19 vaccines could be ready before the end of 2020, but leaders from federal health agencies coordinating the distribution of future vaccines warned it's still vital for Americans to follow health precautions in the meantime.

Based on the progress of ongoing clinical trials, one or maybe even two COVID-19 vaccines could be available later this year, according to Dr. Jay Butler, the deputy director for infectious diseases at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"We're cautiously optimistic that vaccines will be available, although in limited quantities, before the end of 2020," Butler told reporters during a news conference Wednesday.

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar went even further, estimating that there would be enough vaccine doses for all senior citizens, health care workers and first responders by the end of January, and for all Americans who want them by late March or early April.

The federal government is currently manufacturing six potential vaccines through a program named Operation Warp Speed. The plan is to be able to begin distributing vaccines the moment they've been cleared for use by the Food and Drug Administration.  

Once they're available, vaccines will first be distributed to people most at risk for the virus and essential health care workers, according to Butler. He said all jurisdictions had submitted their distribution plans to the CDC and the plans were currently under review.

Despite the cheery assessment on vaccine progress, officials warned that the coronavirus pandemic is still the most serious public health crisis the U.S. has faced in more than a century. Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the CDC, noted that the number of COVID-19 cases around the world passed 40 million this week and that new cases are rising again across the U.S.

I saw a lot of it, and frankly there it was mainly optimistic .. and these guys tend to be sceptial by nature

Now this is for US, but if Trudy doesn't get it to us damned soon he will be decapitated, one head or the other, or both

We just hit our first 200 new cases day today
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Some people may start getting vaccinated as early as January.

Dr. Bonnie Henry expects 'beginnings' of vaccine to be available as soon as January

B.C's provincial health officer says it is possible some British Columbians could have access to a COVID-19 vaccine by the beginning of next year.

More than 150 vaccines are in development worldwide and 10 of those vaccine candidates are now in Phase 3 clinical trials, meaning they are being trialled on hundreds of volunteers to make sure they are safe.

Dr. Bonnie Henry says this could mean a vaccine may be available for some people in the province as soon as January.

"I think, optimistically, we should have at least the beginnings of some vaccine available early in 2021," Henry told CBC on Wednesday.

Likely candidates, said Henry, will be health-care workers, seniors, people with underlying illnesses and those who live in close quarters with others, where the virus is quick to spread.

Health-care workers have proven to be at risk across the country, with a dozen dying and more than 21,000 falling ill — representing roughly 20 per cent of confirmed cases — in the pandemic's first wave, according to a September report from the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI).

The largest death toll, however — numbering more than 5,300 nationally — has been among elderly residents in long-term care, with those facilities accounting for more than 80 per cent of all Canadian COVID-19 deaths in the first wave, CIHI findings show.

In total, the federal government has committed $1 billion dollars to six different companies to secure at least 150 million doses of a vaccine.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vaccine-arrival-bc-bonnie-henry-1.5771040">https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5771040">https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vaccine-arrival-bc-bonnie-henry-1.5771040

cc

Good spot Fash!!! -- see guys, there's great hope for early resolution Yes, health care workers and care home workers . .then seniors & underlying conditions first

There's 2 encouraging displays this afternoon - NO more pessimism allowed!!!  :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:  .. Y'all hear??

From what Bonnie is saying, seems Canada will have early access   .. unless BC made their own deals .. she tends to err on the safe side

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=387861 time=1603329545 user_id=88
Good spor Fash!!! -- see guys, there's great hope for early resolution Yes, health care workers and care home workers . .then seniors & underlying conditions first

There's 2 encouraging displays this afternoon - NO more pessimism allowed!!!  :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

From what Bonnie is saying, seems Canada will have early access   .. unless BC made their own deals .. she tends to err on the safe side

It's based on the deals the federal government made..

This is the most encouraging news I've heard in a while.

cc

It correlates with the head CDC guys this afternoon ... looks like deals keep us up close to the US

It's been an encouraging afternoon

That was meant to be "Good spot Fash!!"  ac_blush

I usually listen to Bonnie each afternoon, but had a senior visit now that it's allowed & my once every  6 week (since covid) shopping to do  - did see the US one before I went out

cc

It can't come too soon - BC & Alta both had their highest day yet for new cases

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=387867 time=1603330541 user_id=88
It can't come too soon - BC & Alta both had their highest day yet for new cases

We're breaking records for infections with frequency in Alberta.

cc

We just broke records last 2 days .. 274 new cases reported today .. almost 1/2 again the highest ever

cc

Ontario & Quebec rising also

Manitoba quite high for such small population

Europe rising again as are most US States (which had been reducing for a while)

cc

large groups are deemed to be the major cause of new cases - weddings, funerals etc

cc

PRIME CANDIDATES (All started Final Stage Testing) (Moved to top of new page for reference - Will update as statuses  change

Not to break the flow of convo, but at this point I'm trying to keep leading candidates at top for easy reference and additions as new stuff comes in

To get most all aspects of our world back on track, only a vaccine can do that - So vaccines really matter & are now the essence of this thread[/b]

Maybe others will point out anything they see on vaccines so I can keep it current

1. Pfizer vaccine candidate    (Final Stage Testing Started in late July)

One of the biggest names in the global pharmaceutical game, Pfizer is working with German firm BioNTech to develop and test a potential mRNA-based vaccine. Doses were given to human test subjects in Germany in April and in the U.S. in May. Company CEO Albert Bourla said a few weeks later that one vaccine candidate could be ready by October "if things go well, and the stars are aligned." Phase III trials began in late July.

Canada has signed a deal to distribute any Pfizer vaccine approved by Health Canada, and the German government gave the effort a 750-million-euro funding boost in September.

UPDATE]Pfizer's mRNA vaccine needs to be transported at -94 degrees Fahrenheit. [/i]

2. Moderna mRNA-1273   (Final Stage Testing Started July 27)

One of the first vaccine candidates to be developed, it was shipped to the U.S. government in February and human testing began in March. The company has said that mRNA-1273 is able to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus in a lab setting, and 30,000 volunteers were given the potential vaccine starting July 27 as part of the final phase of human trials.

The Canadian government says it has signed a deal to distribute Moderna's vaccine, if it is approved by Health Canada.

UPDATE]

3. Oxford/AstraZeneca ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 (Final Stage Testing Started End of August)

One of the West's leading contenders in the race for a vaccine, ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 was among the first to start human trials, in late April. Also known as AZD1222, the vaccine candidate is based on a virus found in chimpanzees. Early results showed that ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 can produce positive immune responses, and late-stage testing began at the end of August, with the backing of the U.S. government – but when one subject developed a potential side effect, it was briefly put on hold.

The Canadian government announced on Sept. 25 that it has secured a deal AstraZeneca for up to 20 million doses of its vaccine candidate.

UPDATE]

4. Johnson & Johnson Ad26.COV2-S (Final Stage Testing Started Sept 23)

Johnson & Johnson began human tests of its potential coronavirus vaccine in Belgium and the U.S. in July. A final phase, involving 60,000 volunteers in eight countries, commenced Sept. 23. Modelled after a successful Ebola vaccine, the Johnson & Johnson candidate is unique among the front-runners in that it can be administered in a single dose.

Canada announced Aug. 31 that it has signed a deal with the company to secure a supply of its vaccine candidate, should it be approved by Health Canada.

5. Novavax NVX-CoV2373 (Final Stage Testing Started Sept 25)

Novavax says its potential vaccine uses a protein made with the company's proprietary nanotechnology to stimulate immune responses. On Sept. 25, the company started late-stage trials.

The Canada federal government announced Aug. 31 that it had reached a deal to receive 76 million doses of NVX-CoV2373, provided the American vaccine candidate is approved by Health Canada

cc

NEW!!

REMDESIVIR APPROVED BY FDA

FDA Approves First Treatment for COVID

Today, Oct 22, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the antiviral drug Veklury (remdesivir) for use in adult and pediatric patients 12 years of age and older and weighing at least 40 kilograms (about 88 pounds) for the treatment of COVID-19 requiring hospitalization. Veklury should only be administered in a hospital or in a healthcare setting capable of providing acute care comparable to inpatient hospital care. Veklury is the first treatment for COVID-19 to receive FDA approval.

The median time to recovery from COVID-19 was 10 days for the Veklury group compared to 15 days for the placebo group, a statistically significant difference. Overall, the odds of clinical improvement at Day 15 were also statistically significantly higher in the Veklury group when compared to the placebo group.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-first-treatment-covid-19">https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-a ... t-covid-19">https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-first-treatment-covid-19

OK Canada, how fast are you going to act??

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=387945 time=1603409462 user_id=88
NEW!!

REMDESIVIR APPROVED BY FDA

FDA Approves First Treatment for COVID

Today, Oct 22, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the antiviral drug Veklury (remdesivir) for use in adult and pediatric patients 12 years of age and older and weighing at least 40 kilograms (about 88 pounds) for the treatment of COVID-19 requiring hospitalization. Veklury should only be administered in a hospital or in a healthcare setting capable of providing acute care comparable to inpatient hospital care. Veklury is the first treatment for COVID-19 to receive FDA approval.

The median time to recovery from COVID-19 was 10 days for the Veklury group compared to 15 days for the placebo group, a statistically significant difference. Overall, the odds of clinical improvement at Day 15 were also statistically significantly higher in the Veklury group when compared to the placebo group.

cc

It had been approved for "emergency use" .. .which does not mean "approved"  .. and can be a temporary thing also as it was still under testing

It's explained but not well in the link

Let's see if Canada picks it up

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=387980 time=1603430957 user_id=88
For "approved emergency use" .. .which does not mean "approved"  .. and can be a temporary thing also as it was still under testing

It's explained but not well in the link

Let's see if Canada picks it up

Only COVID patients requiring hospitalization can get Remdesivir?