News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10762
Total votes: : 5

Last post: Today at 12:15:37 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

COVID-19 >> New Drug Activity & VACCINE TRACKING!!

Started by cc, January 26, 2020, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 6 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Odinson

The finnish medical staff are against getting vaccinated.

Based on interviews, they are thinking about changing professions.

Its because they plan to vaccinate the medical staff first... And its mandatory.

But those of us who have lived long enough to remember the swineflu epidemic and the "pandemrix" AKA narcolepsy vaccine, are not as enthusiastic about getting vaccinated.

Anonymous

Quote from: Odinson post_id=390425 time=1605371548 user_id=136
The finnish medical staff are against getting vaccinated.

Based on interviews, they are thinking about changing professions.

Its because they plan to vaccinate the medical staff first... And its mandatory.

But those of us who have lived long enough to remember the swineflu epidemic and the "pandemrix" AKA narcolepsy vaccine, are not as enthusiastic about getting vaccinated.

This is not then..

Tens of thousands of people have already been vaccinated..

And when it's available, I will get vaccinated too.

cc

UPDATE as Vaccines relate to Canada

Commitments: The federal government announced agreements with Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech on Aug. 5; with Novavax and Janssen, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, on Aug. 31; with Sanofi/GSK on Sept. 22; with AstraZeneca, which is manufacturing a vaccine developed at the University of Oxford, on Sept. 25; and with Medicago on Oct. 23.

Canada will receive 20 million to 76 million doses of each vaccine, should any of them successfully make it through clinical trials and be approved by Health Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-vaccines-canada-profiles-1.5708240">A closer look at the vaccines Canada is betting on to stem the spread of COVID-19
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

My mother in law's doctor told her that she could be vaccinated in December.

:shock:

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=390435 time=1605377979 user_id=3254

For the flu or COVID?

Anonymous

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=390436 time=1605378973 user_id=114

For the flu or COVID?

For COVID-19..

I don't have all the details....my husband talked to his mother..

When I have more information, I'll pass it along.

cc

It is theoretically possible some older people could get covid vaccine late December .. January far more likely

I don't see how the doc's words could be for  flu as most people are already vaccinated for flu .. certainly should be

Anonymous

I think there has been some inaccurate details in the transmission of this story.

I did get a flu shot this year.

cc

Unreal. Last 3 days new cases in US

Fri - 183,625

Thurs 162,229

Weds 142,906

They are way out of control  ... up from approx 50,000 a month ago

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=390462 time=1605385174 user_id=88

Fri - 183,625

Thurs 162,229

Weds 142,906

cc

PRIME CANDIDATES (All started Final Stage Testing) (Moved to top of new page for reference - Will update as statuses  change

Not to break the flow of convo, but at this point I'm trying to keep leading candidates at top for easy reference and additions as new stuff comes in

To get most all aspects of our world back on track, only a vaccine can do that - So vaccines really matter & are now the essence of this thread[/b]

Maybe others will point out anything they see on vaccines so I can keep it current

1. Pfizer vaccine candidate    (Final Stage Testing Started in late July)

One of the biggest names in the global pharmaceutical game, Pfizer is working with German firm BioNTech to develop and test a potential mRNA-based vaccine. Doses were given to human test subjects in Germany in April and in the U.S. in May. Company CEO Albert Bourla said a few weeks later that one vaccine candidate could be ready by October "if things go well, and the stars are aligned." Phase III trials began in late July.

Canada has signed a deal to distribute any Pfizer vaccine approved by Health Canada, and the German government gave the effort a 750-million-euro funding boost in September.

UPDATE]Pfizer's mRNA vaccine needs to be transported at -94 degrees Fahrenheit. [/i]

TODAY ANNOUNCED - Proven to be at least 90 %  effective - Available fairly soon

Canada has contract to early 20million doses and is negotiating for more

Further]

2. Moderna mRNA-1273   (Final Stage Testing Started July 27)

One of the first vaccine candidates to be developed, it was shipped to the U.S. government in February and human testing began in March. The company has said that mRNA-1273 is able to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus in a lab setting, and 30,000 volunteers were given the potential vaccine starting July 27 as part of the final phase of human trials.

The Canadian government says it has signed a deal to distribute Moderna's vaccine, if it is approved by Health Canada.

UPDATE]

3. Oxford/AstraZeneca ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 (Final Stage Testing Started End of August)

One of the West's leading contenders in the race for a vaccine, ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 was among the first to start human trials, in late April. Also known as AZD1222, the vaccine candidate is based on a virus found in chimpanzees. Early results showed that ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 can produce positive immune responses, and late-stage testing began at the end of August, with the backing of the U.S. government – but when one subject developed a potential side effect, it was briefly put on hold.

The Canadian government announced on Sept. 25 that it has secured a deal AstraZeneca for up to 20 million doses of its vaccine candidate.

UPDATE]

4. Johnson & Johnson Ad26.COV2-S (Final Stage Testing Started Sept 23)

Johnson & Johnson began human tests of its potential coronavirus vaccine in Belgium and the U.S. in July. A final phase, involving 60,000 volunteers in eight countries, commenced Sept. 23. Modelled after a successful Ebola vaccine, the Johnson & Johnson candidate is unique among the front-runners in that it can be administered in a single dose.

Canada announced Aug. 31 that it has signed a deal with the company to secure a supply of its vaccine candidate, should it be approved by Health Canada.

5. Novavax NVX-CoV2373 (Final Stage Testing Started Sept 25)

Novavax says its potential vaccine uses a protein made with the company's proprietary nanotechnology to stimulate immune responses. On Sept. 25, the company started late-stage trials.

The Canada federal government announced Aug. 31 that it had reached a deal to receive 76 million doses of NVX-CoV2373, provided the American vaccine candidate is approved by Health Canada

cc

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=390464 time=1605385278 user_id=3254

Fri - 183,625

Thurs 162,229

Weds 142,906

1,416 died yesterday .. and of course that's the result mainly from lower numbers of new cases days and / or weeks ago .. not from  greatly increased current numbers

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=390473 time=1605388051 user_id=88
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=390464 time=1605385278 user_id=3254

Fri - 183,625

Thurs 162,229

Weds 142,906

1,416 died yesterday .. and of course that's the result mainly from lower numbers of new cases days and / or weeks ago .. not from  greatly increased current numbers

Oh my God.

Anonymous

New Yorkers know who's fault it is if they catch the kung flu in 2021.

Trump Says Coronavirus Vaccine Will Be Available To 'Entire' Population By April

https://dailycaller.com/2020/11/13/donald-trump-operation-warp-speed-pfizer-vaccine-video-april/?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2360&pnespid=1_x9rqAFDQuNzXBN.EEoVSdej5ibFdNpCcfiwebF">https://dailycaller.com/2020/11/13/dona ... NpCcfiwebF">https://dailycaller.com/2020/11/13/donald-trump-operation-warp-speed-pfizer-vaccine-video-april/?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2360&pnespid=1_x9rqAFDQuNzXBN.EEoVSdej5ibFdNpCcfiwebF

"Millions of doses will soon be going out the door. They are already, waiting for that final approval," Trump stated during a press briefing on Operation Warp Speed, the government's coronavirus vaccine initiative. "As soon as April, the vaccine will be available to the entire general population, with the exceptions of places like New York state."

Trump, speaking publicly for the first time in eight days, also criticized New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo for deciding "to say, 'I don't think it's good politically. I think it's very bad from a health standpoint,'" regarding the vaccine news.

"He wants to take his time with the vaccine. He doesn't trust where the vaccine is coming from," the president continued. "These are coming from the greatest companies anywhere in the world. The greatest labs anywhere in the world, but he doesn't trust the fact that it is this White House, this administration, so we won't be delivering it to New York until we have authorization to do so."

Anonymous

Very good news.

Moderna vaccine is found 94.5% effective at preventing COVID-19

Moderna Inc. said its COVID-19 vaccine was 94.5 per cent effective in a preliminary analysis of a large late-stage clinical trial, another sign that a fast-paced hunt by scientists and pharmaceutical companies is paying off with potent new tools that could help control a worsening pandemic.

The highly positive readout comes just a week after a similar shot developed by Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE was found to be more than 90 per cent effective in an interim analysis. Both shots rely on a technology called messenger RNA that has never been used to build an approved vaccine. Soon, millions of people around the world could be spared from illness by the breakthroughs.

A preliminary analysis of data from more than 30,000 volunteers showed Moderna's vaccine prevented virtually all symptomatic cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, the company said in a statement on Monday.

Only five participants who received two doses of the vaccine became sick, compared with 90 coronavirus cases in participants who received a placebo, according to a review by an independent data safety monitoring board appointed by the U.S. National Institutes of Health.

The vaccine also appeared to be effective in preventing the most serious COVID-19 infections. There were no severe cases among people who got the vaccine, compared with 11 in volunteers who received placebo shots, according to Moderna's statement.

While the results are preliminary, both Moderna and Pfizer are expected to seek emergency-use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration if further study shows their vaccines are safe. In its statement, Moderna said it could seek a go-ahead from regulators in the coming weeks.

The company said it would expect an emergency authorization to be based on a final analysis containing 151 cases, along with two months of safety follow-up data that U.S. regulators want to see. That final data is expected later this month.

Moderna said on Monday that new stability data showed its vaccine is stable at refrigerator temperatures for 30 days, much longer than a previously estimated seven days. For longer-term storage, it can be kept in freezers, though it doesn't need the special facilities required for the Pfizer vaccine.

Both the Moderna vaccine and Pfizer's are based on mRNA technology designed to transform the body's own cells into vaccine making factories. Once injected, the vaccines instruct cells to make copies of the coronavirus's spike protein, stimulating the creation of protective antibodies.

The analysis of Moderna's data found no significant safety concerns, the company said. It said some participants had severe fatigue, muscle pain, joint pain and headaches after getting the vaccine, though the side effects were generally short-lived.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/moderna-vaccine-is-found-94-5-effective-at-preventing-covid-19-1.1522969">https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/moderna-vac ... -1.1522969">https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/moderna-vaccine-is-found-94-5-effective-at-preventing-covid-19-1.1522969