News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10761
Total votes: : 5

Last post: Today at 05:48:35 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

COVID-19 >> New Drug Activity & VACCINE TRACKING!!

Started by cc, January 26, 2020, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 5 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/covid19-manitoba-health-care-system-drowning-1.5803299?cmp=newsletter_Coronavirus%20Brief_2580_218384">'We are drowning': Doctor begs Manitobans to obey health orders

A Winnipeg-based anesthesiologist tells CBC News she felt compelled to post on social media over the weekend about the critical situation in her province to combat the messaging from anti-maskers who believe hospitals aren't full or that public health orders aren't necessary.

Renate Singh posted images of a recovery room at Grace Hospital that is being converted into an intensive care unit because of the demand for beds. Beyond that point, Singh is unsure where patients would be treated, and she worries urgent surgeries might have to be cancelled, which has already been happened with non-essential surgeries.

"I understand that everyone is being asked to sacrifice, but I'm literally begging you to think of us and what we will have to endure if we do not collectively kick this thing in the ass," said Singh.

Manitoba broke its record for daily COVID-19 cases on Sunday, when the province announced 494 more people had tested positive for the virus. The total number of coronavirus deaths in the province was 162 as of early Monday afternoon, with the majority (93) occurring since the start of November.

CBC
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Natives do not practice social distancing and that's the problem in Manitoba.

cc

Look guys,  it's rising everywhere at a horrendous rate - In many cases beyond what hospitals can contend with - with other areas soon to reach that nightmare scenario based on "today" new cases which may well rise beyond today's levels

Something has to change in spite of in themselves valid "economic" arguments to the contrary

https://www.foxnews.com/health/texas-nurse-describes-the-pit-room-coronavirus-patients-die">Texas nurse describes 'The Pit,' a room where coronavirus patients are sent to die

Nurse claims worst coronavirus patients were sent to 'The Pit' with minimal treatment, limited efforts at resuscitation

A traveling nurse on assignment in Texas described "horrific" conditions for patients with COVID-19 as hospitals reach max capacity amid a dramatic surge in local cases.

Among the most shocking claims made by registered nurse Lawanna Rivers about her time working at the University Medical Center in El Paso is the existence of a room she calls "The Pit," where the worst COVID-positive patients were sent to die with minimal treatment and limited efforts at resuscitation.

Due to the sheer number of patients at the hospital, she and other nurses were instructed to give each person in "The Pit" just three rounds of CPR before the person was pronounced dead — a significant reduction to the normal efforts aimed at keeping patients alive.

The traveling nurse claimed some doctors would avoid treating coronavirus patients.

As of Sunday, the city was fighting 32,687 active cases and had 762 recorded deaths — forcing officials to extend a municipal lockdown order and resort to using several morgue trucks to store bodies.

In her video, Rivers also accused the hospital of not treating COVID-19 patients aggressively enough — even saying some doctors would avoid treating COVID-19-positive patients altogether.

She also claimed to have witnessed preferential treatment for a doctor's wife, who was the sole COVID-19 survivor on that floor.

"This particular travel nurse was at UMC briefly to help El Paso confront the surge of Covid-19 patients."

cc

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/icu-admissions-alberta-email-1.5803005?cmp=newsletter_Coronavirus%20Brief_2580_218384">Alberta ICU admissions could double in 2 weeks, leaked AHS email says

There are also concerns about capacity in Alberta, which on Sunday hit nearly 82 per cent of its COVID-19 intensive care capacity with 58 of 70 beds filled, according to numbers posted to the provincial website.

An internal email obtained by CBC News lays out three potential ICU scenarios over the next two weeks. At the current rate, the province could see admissions hit 120 by early December, 50 more than Alberta's current capacity. If that trend starts to level out, the projection drops to around 78 occupied beds, while the most optimistic scenario projects 45 COVID-19 patients will be in intensive care by early next month.

Without new beds, doctors at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Edmonton will be looking to treat intensive care patients in areas such as recovery rooms, operating theatres or cardiac units, Dr. Darren Markland, an intensive care physician at the Royal Alex, told CBC News.

"I think that everybody is tired and frustrated and scared and nobody wants to go to a lockdown. If this was two weeks ago, we could've done things that would've prevented it. But we haven't," Markland said.

[This makes sense as rise in ICU hospitalization for serious cases follows the "today's (or any day's) increasing new cases by 1 - 2 weeks ]

----------------------------------------

They have not given breakdown yet for some reason, but we are up 1,959 total for Sat, Sun, Mon (that's up for us) & 9 deaths (likely cumulative for 3 days, but reporting is bad today)

Again Alta has only sketchy info (they had reporting system  issues last week) Today > 860 new cases and 20 deaths on Monday (While info is sketchy, appears that's for today but possible it's cumulative over weekend, not enough info to be sure)

Dunno what's happening with reporting for both provinces

Manitoba - 392 new cases & 10 deaths (that's 35 for the 3 days from Sat)

The recent increases are starting to show with many more deaths now

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=390680 time=1605562040 user_id=2015
Natives do not practice social distancing and that's the problem in Manitoba.

They don't follow rules, let alone recommendations.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=390684 time=1605562633 user_id=88
https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sfi/skkm/sijk/p2/news/canada/edmonton/icu-admissions-alberta-email-1.5803005?cmp=newsletter_Coronavirus%20Brief_2580_218384">Alberta ICU admissions could double in 2 weeks, leaked AHS email says

There are also concerns about capacity in Alberta, which on Sunday hit nearly 82 per cent of its COVID-19 intensive care capacity with 58 of 70 beds filled, according to numbers posted to the provincial website.

An internal email obtained by CBC News lays out three potential ICU scenarios over the next two weeks. At the current rate, the province could see admissions hit 120 by early December, 50 more than Alberta's current capacity. If that trend starts to level out, the projection drops to around 78 occupied beds, while the most optimistic scenario projects 45 COVID-19 patients will be in intensive care by early next month.

Without new beds, doctors at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Edmonton will be looking to treat intensive care patients in areas such as recovery rooms, operating theatres or cardiac units, Dr. Darren Markland, an intensive care physician at the Royal Alex, told CBC News.

"I think that everybody is tired and frustrated and scared and nobody wants to go to a lockdown. If this was two weeks ago, we could've done things that would've prevented it. But we haven't," Markland said.

[This makes sense as rise in ICU hospitalization for serious cases follows the "today's (or any day's) increasing new cases by 1 - 2 weeks ]

----------------------------------------

They have not given breakdown yet for some reason, but we are up 1,959 total for Sat, Sun, Mon (that's up for us) & 9 deaths (likely cumulative for 3 days, but reporting is bad today)

Again Alta has only sketchy info (they had reporting system  issues last week) Today > 860 new cases and 20 deaths on Monday (While info is sketchy, appears that's for today but possible it's cumulative over weekend, not enough info to be sure)

Dunno what's happening with reporting for both provinces

Manitoba - 392 new cases & 10 deaths (that's 35 for the 3 days from Sat)

The recent increases are starting to show with many more deaths now

The number of new infections today is correct, and it's actually down from the previous two days..

Today was our deadliest day since the pandemic began.

cc

Damn. They didn't need this

Major fire @ Burnaby Hospital during the night - Fire Chief said worse conditions his fighters have ever encounters (acrid smoke as it started electrical room & spread elsewhere)

No one hurt, but patients had to be gotten out fast  . . also no fighters hurt. Had to get nearby people out fast as that smoke kills. I saw video of it, vicious sometimes  colored smoke pouring out rapidly

Damage bad - "Will take year to get back the areas lost"

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=390696 time=1605575795 user_id=88

Major fire @ Burnaby Hospital during the night - Fire Chief said worse conditions his fighters have ever encounters (acrid smoke as it started electrical room & spread elsewhere)

No one hurt, but patients had to be gotten out fast  . . also no fighters hurt. Had to get nearby people out fast as that smoke kills. I saw video of it, vicious sometimes  colored smoke pouring out rapidly

That's terrible.

cc

Fortunately firefighters got there and staff and emergency people acted very quickly (and extremely efficiently & bravely)

While it was pandemonium for all & especially patients, no one was hurt .. some were moved to other hospitals

I don't know if covid patients were the ones affected

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=390696 time=1605575795 user_id=88

Everything is done for the winter. I have to start watching the news again.

Gaon

I am really looking forward to getting a vaccine. I don't care which one I get.
The Russian Rock It

cc

Gaon

The day it's available, my wife and I will take a day off of work to get vaccinated.
The Russian Rock It

Anonymous

Quote from: Gaon post_id=390708 time=1605581841 user_id=3170
The day it's available, my wife and I will take a day off of work to get vaccinated.

That's our plan too Gaon.

ac_smile

Anonymous

Quote from: Gaon post_id=390708 time=1605581841 user_id=3170

It is hard for you city dwellers to isolate. It is easy for me. But, the old lady and I will get the vaccine too.