News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10608
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 01:17:18 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

COVID-19 >> New Drug Activity & VACCINE TRACKING!!

Started by cc, January 26, 2020, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 8 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Astra-Zenaca's efficacy improves dramatically if the time between jabs is increased.

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=403587 time=1614403566 user_id=3254
Astra-Zenaca's efficacy improves dramatically if the time between jabs is increased.

In Britain, it's 12 weeks between Astra-Zeneca shots.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=403609 time=1614426877 user_id=2015
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=403587 time=1614403566 user_id=3254
Astra-Zeneca's efficacy improves dramatically if the time between jabs is increased.

In Britain, it's 12 weeks between Astra-Zeneca shots.

One of the advantages of the Astra-Zeneca vaccine is that it can be stored at fridge temperature.

Anonymous

I hope my family gets Pfizer or Moderna..

I'll be happy too with Astra Zeneca.

There's no 'best' vaccine, expert says as Canada OKs AstraZeneca shots

Vaccines from Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech and AstraZeneca-Oxford have now been approved in Canada.  While Canadians may not get a choice about which COVID-19 vaccine to take, all three offer protection against severe illness, according to experts.

"All of these vaccines are good," Dr. Bradly Wouters, executive vice-president of science and research at the University Health Network told Global News Friday.

Available data shows all these three vaccines have the "ability to impact hospitalization" and offer "protection against severe illness," he said.

Which vaccine is the best?

There's no "best vaccine" option.

Whichever vaccine is available first, "it's going to protect you," Wouters said.

Italy's government recently decided to reserve Pfizer and Moderna shots for the elderly and designate the Astrazeneca vaccine for younger, at-risk workers, sparking protests.

"Right now, it's not vaccine against vaccine, it's vaccine against virus," Dr. Nirav Shah, director of the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention, recently told The Associated Press.

Wouters reiterated a similar notion.

"In a pandemic, you need fast results," he noted and the "priority is to ensure everyone gets vaccinated" and not "debate over which vaccine is better."

"Each trial involves different people in different places," he said, and while many may be making comparisons between vaccines from the results of different Phase 3 trials, "such comparisons are misleading," he said.

After Pfizer and Moderna, AstraZeneca is the third shot officially authorized in the country.

The two doses of the Pfizer and Moderna shots were found to be about 95 per cent effective against the virus as compared to the AstraZeneca shots that stand at 62 per cent in preventing symptomatic cases.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7665048/cda-astrazeneca-pfizer-vaccine-covid7665048/">https://globalnews.ca/news/7665048/cda- ... id7665048/">https://globalnews.ca/news/7665048/cda-astrazeneca-pfizer-vaccine-covid7665048/

Anonymous

Canada is supposed to receive 500,000 doses of the Astra Zeneca vaccine in the coming weeks and another 1.5-million doses will arrive by mid May.

cc

As to my question, "Do vaccines stop the virus or do they make symptoms much milder (a la flu vaccines)"

I have searched a great deal and it seems to date no one knows for sure which is happening  - work is being done to try to find out which it is, but this kind of test / survey is much harder and more time consuming

Answer so far is that it is not known whether vaccines stop the virus or do they make symptoms much milder  .. but there may be a few clues known here and there

Based on some things we do know, I "think" there is a good chance that it lowers symptoms to a point where most don't know they have it, or can get mild symptoms (the way flu vaccines work)

British data on Astrazeneca  indicate that it may lower  symptoms mainly as those who get it have extremely milder symptoms .. mind you, it is made from virus (like flu vaccines are)   .. so separate question they must find out is do the rna vaccines operate differently? (possible)

End result today is that no one knows for sure which it is  .. meaning the strong possibility is out there that they may just reduce symptoms  .. meaning a vaccinated person could at any time could be a transmitter .. which would make it much harder to bring this beast to a virtual halt

If that turns out to be the case, leads to the further question  "as the person's viral load would be much lower, is it very likely to infect others?

Unfortunately, they do not have solid answers on any of the above yet /.. Lotsa questions, few answers yet
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

cc

Quotecc, do you have a vaccine preference?
As of what we know now, an rna product

That said, I saw something yesterday on Global News where a  Doc lady jumped in directly following a guy talking about Astrazeneca and it's much higher infection rate, and said and I quote "Some infections, but "Serious Cases or Hospitalizations of those vaccinated = Zero ... Deaths of those vaccinated = Zero"

I replayed it several times trying to get full context of circumstances she was referring to (all Astrazeneca? All Vaccines? a specific study? etc. or what?) and could not fully pin it down as to exactly as to context (frustrating) as the context could mean very good things .. ."could" .

Not enough to know what to make of it ... close in my search for direct answers as I wrote  above ... Close, but no cigar .. at least  not the definitive  cigar I wanted because there was major implications depending on context, but no context directly said by her ... grrrrrrrr

As to something you posted above, the rna ones are known to work best for elders  .. & virus-based ones work best on young ... so I suspect most responsible authorities will use that as the yardstick

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=403674 time=1614486233 user_id=88
Quoterna
As of what we know now, an rna product

That said, I saw something yesterday on Global News where a  Doc lady jumped in directly following a guy talking about Astrazeneca and it's much higher infection rate, and said and I quote "Some infections, but "Serious Cases or Hospitalizations of those vaccinated = Zero ... Deaths of those vaccinated = Zero"

I replayed it several times trying to get full context of circumstances she was referring to (all Astrazeneca? All Vaccines? a specific study? etc. or what?) and could not fully pin it down as to exactly as to context (frustrating) as the context could mean very good things .. ."could" .

Not enough to know what to make of it ... close in my search for direct answers as I wrote  above ... Close, but no cigar .. at least  not the definitive  cigar I wanted because there was major implications depending on context, but no context directly said by her ... grrrrrrrr

As to something you posted above, the rna ones are known to work best for elders  .. & virus-based ones work best on young ... so I suspect most responsible authorities will use that as the yardstick

Italy isn't using Astra Zeneca on elderly people.

cc

Right. Good plan. Our Bonnie has said the rna worked best for elders some time ago

Our health dept has a great many working with manufacturers to poke into their  data and find things that are good to know .. and that were not in initial reports  .. so maybe we will get some of the fine points than matter greatly (as I opined on above)

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=403678 time=1614489110 user_id=88Right. Good plan

I'll be happy to get vaccinated soon.....at this point, I don't care which one I get.

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=403680 time=1614489284 user_id=3254

I'll be happy to get vaccinated soon.....at this point, I don't care which one I get.

Get vaccinated, but continue social distancing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=403696 time=1614503500 user_id=2015
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=403680 time=1614489284 user_id=3254

Get vaccinated, but continue social distancing.

For a while, yes.

cc

BC just announced schedule - 112 days between doses (care homes etc already have shot 2

Everyone to have 1st shot by end of July

When you can call is based on your age & they will get their 1st shot within a week or 2

I'm born in 1931 or earlier (90+) or I'm Indigenous and born in 1956 or earlier (65+)

call the week of March 8.

I'm born in 1936 or earlier (85+)

call the week of March 15.

I'm born in 1941 or earlier (80+)

call the week of March 22.

Dates for others to be released soon

With new vaccines soon available (Astrazeneca next week & J&J in the wings ) they will run parallel programs for police, firefighters, grocery works etc etc.

This group can soon book, choose Astrazeneca or chose to wait in the age based plan for rna vaccines

They are breaking up when to call to avoid Alberta's experience with everyone calling at once

Anonymous

British Columbia will extend the time between first and second doses of COVID-19 vaccine to four months as it ramps up its age-based immunization plan..

Seniors aged 90 and up can call to book their appointment starting next Monday, followed a week later by those aged 85 and over..

People 80 and over will have a chance to book their time-slot on March 22..

People between 60 and 79 and those aged 16 and up who are medically vulnerable are expected to get their shots starting in mid-April by registering for an appointment online.