News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10564
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:39:34 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Frood

COVID-19 >> New Drug Activity & VACCINE TRACKING!!

Started by cc, January 26, 2020, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 9 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

Then why post it? .. risking posting misinformation

that's not your other-than-covid style which has always been  the opposite extreme .. solid stuff

All the UK links I could find say the opposite .. . both for infection (worse was 3-1 ... best was 5-1) .. plus strength of symptoms well supported as greatly reduced
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

All about boosters.

What's the rationale behind a COVID vaccine booster — and will everyone really need one at some point?

Could 'fully vaccinated' soon mean triple vaccinated?

Israel is prepared to begin declaring the COVID-19 "passports" of more than one million vaccinated Israelis null and void, after making boosters — third doses — a requirement for full inoculation, the New York Times and Financial Times reported Sunday.

Durability is driving the debate: Emerging evidence suggests a "modest waning" in protection against infection, American and British researchers wrote in a recent editorial in the British Medical Association Journal. An extra dose seems entirely prudent for the elderly and those with compromised immune systems, who tend not to mount as robust an immune response to vaccines, they said, "But overstating evidence of waning immunity for the general population has already had important ramifications, including affecting vaccine confidence."

"Most importantly, the long term effects of boosters on reducing infection, transmission and hospital admissions remains unknown."

Canada's National Advisory Committee on Immunization has recommended boosters for a select group, including residents of long-term care and seniors living in congregate settings at high risk of exposure and serious sickness from COVID. NACI also recommends boosters for people with weakened immune systems.

The U.S., meanwhile, has begun offering boosters amid "chaotic" and confusing messaging, after the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention overruled her own board of advisers and granted emergency use authorization of boosters for people in high-risk jobs and those with underlying health conditions, not just the 65-plus. The United Kingdom is deploying third doses for Britons over 50, to be given at least six months after a second shot of either Pfizer or AstraZeneca's COVID vaccine. And on Monday, the European Medicines Agency is expected to weigh in on the need for Pfizer boosters for the general population, Reuters reported.

The prospect of potentially endless boosters has led to protests in Israel. However, a large study involving more than one million people in Israel aged 60 and older who received at least two doses of the Pfizer vaccine found that the rate of confirmed infection was 11 times lower in the boosted group, versus the non-boosted. The rate of severe illness was lower by a factor of nearly 20. The boosted 60-plus had higher blood levels of antibodies.

"The rest of us can watch what happens in Israel, to try to figure out what's going to happen locally. And what's happening in Israel now is, we are seeing breakthrough infections." After a period with almost no confirmed COVID, Israel saw a resurgence this summer. The breakthrough cases have been primarily in older, more frail people with other health conditions, Russell said.

Antibodies typically peak two weeks after vaccination, or a natural infection, but then eventually begin to tail off. "The immune system does stop pumping out tonnes of antibodies" once the reaction to the vaccines subsides, Russell said. "And it's the level of antibodies that are probably keeping you from getting infected."

But the real workhorses are memory B cells, which can rapidly churn out antibodies if the person is re-exposed to SARS-CoV-2, and memory T cells, which act in a similar way. Memory cells can last for a decade or longer. They kick in quickly after re-exposure, "quicker than the first time, and you'll have antibodies made within days," Russell said.

It likely explains why breakthrough infections are not as intense, or as contagious. "Even though you might get infected, you're not as sick, and you're probably not going to spread," Russell said. Vaccine effectiveness against serious outcomes remains "very high," Canada's chief public health officer, Dr. Theresa Tam, said in mid-September.

A third dose tweaks the antibody level, bumping it up. But eventually, that too will peter out. A booster might also produce more longer-lasting memory cells, though the authors of the BMJ editorial said that remains unproven for most "immunocompetent people."

It's not known whether there would be an increased risk of myocarditis, or other rare reactions after a booster dose. Data from Israel, where more than three million have been vaccinated with a third COVID shot, suggest fewer side effects such as fatigue, weakness and pain in the injection site after a third dose versus the second, the Times of Israel reported. The CDC also has not seen evidence of "unexpected patterns" of side effects after a booster dose of an mRNA vaccine among more than 12,000 people who have received one.

The SARS-CoV-2 virus is changing. "We may all need a third shot at some point," Russell said. "I don't see it like a six-month thing, or every year, but honestly, no one really knows. It's still a wait-and-see. And will everyone need one? Maybe people under 30 won't need them, maybe people under 40 won't need them. Maybe everyone over 60 should get one every year.

"I don't think there's going to be a one-size-fits-all on boosters."

https://calgaryherald.com/health/whats-the-rationale-behind-a-covid-vaccine-booster-and-will-everyone-really-need-one-at-some-point/wcm/e40f5622-2e4d-4eed-b01e-8bb4242d4e56">https://calgaryherald.com/health/whats- ... b4242d4e56">https://calgaryherald.com/health/whats-the-rationale-behind-a-covid-vaccine-booster-and-will-everyone-really-need-one-at-some-point/wcm/e40f5622-2e4d-4eed-b01e-8bb4242d4e56

cc

Now that has a solid ring to it ^^

BC starts today with boosters for the greatly compromised and Care Homes

followed by other elderly once that is done

We will likely get more details soon for the overall plan

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=422392 time=1633385617 user_id=88

that's not your other than covid style which has always been  the opposite extreme .. solid stuff

All the UK links I could find say the opposite .. . both for infection (worse was 3-1 ... best was 5-1) .. plus strength of symptoms well supported as greatly reduced

I didn't find that on a fringe site. A short time ago, you thought breakthrough cases in Israel were fringe because they were not appearing in American or British sites.

Here is another one from a site that is not anti vax.

COVID vaccine weekly: more vaccinated than unvaccinated Britons are now dying from the coronavirus

Coronavirus vaccines lessen the chance of you getting COVID-19 and massively reduce the risk of developing serious illness and being hospitalised. Yet at the same time, most COVID-19 deaths in England are now currently among the vaccinated. Is this a cause for alarm?

Put simply, no, says Kit Yates, senior lecturer in mathematical biology at the University of Bath. No vaccines are 100% protective, so cases, hospitalisations and deaths are still to be somewhat expected among those who've been jabbed – and especially in those who are older.

This is because the risk of dying from COVID-19 increases so steeply with age that even being vaccinated doesn't lower the risk for older people down to levels that some younger people experience. Due to their age, a vaccinated 70-year-old is still at greater risk from COVID-19 than an unvaccinated 35-year-old. Given this, it isn't surprising that more vaccinated people are dying of COVID-19 than unvaccinated people.

https://theconversation.com/covid-vaccine-weekly-more-vaccinated-than-unvaccinated-britons-are-now-dying-from-the-coronavirus-164526">https://theconversation.com/covid-vacci ... rus-164526">https://theconversation.com/covid-vaccine-weekly-more-vaccinated-than-unvaccinated-britons-are-now-dying-from-the-coronavirus-164526

There are reasons why the vaxxed are dying at higher numbers than the unvaxxed in the UK.

cc

It was just a run of the mill Twitter post

QuoteThere are reasons why the vaxxed are dying at higher numbers than the unvaxxed in the UK.

Wot? Whatever gave you that idea?

cc

It was just a run of the mill Twitter post :confused1:

QuoteThere are reasons why the vaxxed are dying at higher numbers than the unvaxxed in the UK.

Wot? Whatever gave you that idea? Everywhere, every province ICUs are made up of 90 - 95 % unvaxxed

Your own province now posts daily comparisons in that range

UK has the best death / case rate in the world ... which would be impossible without the great majority  of vaxxed surviving as vaxxed make up the great majority there

I'm going to drop this. It's like replying to antivaxxer site material .. and I try not to do that a lot

Aside - while AZ is not  as good on infection (accounting for more vaxxed getting infected than in other countries) , because UK has best survival rate in the world I'm thinking maybe AZ is very strong on the survival area

Anonymous

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=422396 time=1633386609 user_id=114
Quote from: cc post_id=422392 time=1633385617 user_id=88

that's not your other than covid style which has always been  the opposite extreme .. solid stuff

I didn't find that on a fringe site. A short time ago, you thought breakthrough cases in Israel were fringe because they were not appearing in American or British sites.

Here is another one from a site that is not anti vax.

COVID vaccine weekly: more vaccinated than unvaccinated Britons are now dying from the coronavirus

Coronavirus vaccines lessen the chance of you getting COVID-19 and massively reduce the risk of developing serious illness and being hospitalised. Yet at the same time, most COVID-19 deaths in England are now currently among the vaccinated. Is this a cause for alarm?

Put simply, no, says Kit Yates, senior lecturer in mathematical biology at the University of Bath. No vaccines are 100% protective, so cases, hospitalisations and deaths are still to be somewhat expected among those who've been jabbed – and especially in those who are older.

This is because the risk of dying from COVID-19 increases so steeply with age that even being vaccinated doesn't lower the risk for older people down to levels that some younger people experience. Due to their age, a vaccinated 70-year-old is still at greater risk from COVID-19 than an unvaccinated 35-year-old. Given this, it isn't surprising that more vaccinated people are dying of COVID-19 than unvaccinated people.

https://theconversation.com/covid-vaccine-weekly-more-vaccinated-than-unvaccinated-britons-are-now-dying-from-the-coronavirus-164526">https://theconversation.com/covid-vacci ... rus-164526">https://theconversation.com/covid-vaccine-weekly-more-vaccinated-than-unvaccinated-britons-are-now-dying-from-the-coronavirus-164526

There are reasons why the vaxxed are dying at higher numbers than the unvaxxed in the UK.

Hmm, it makes sense Seoul..

Comparing any seventy year old to a thirty five year old is an apples to oranges comaparison..

Two people of similar age, one vaccinated and the other not vaccinted is an apples to apples comparison.

cc

QuoteCOVID vaccine weekly: more vaccinated than unvaccinated Britons are now dying from the coronavirus

I suppose it's possible as in UK vaxxed makes up most all of the population .. so even IF true it proves absolutely nothing beyond misleading

I'm not accepting it, but even if true  this it is a misleading sensation statement - designed to create the impression that vax doesn't work .. sad

This is antivaxxer site style / tactics / MOs

That's it - I'm done wit h this misleading bullcrap

Anonymous

Most Britons are vaccinated. We know vaccines lose their effectiveness quickly among the elderly and immunocompromised. Which is why Britain has more vaccinated than unvaccinated dying from COVID. Which is why countries are intoducing boosters for that demographic.

Britain still has a lower death rate from COVID than it did before vaccines.

cc

QuoteBritain still has a lower death rate from COVID than it did before vaccines.

Tell me about it .. but do you know by how much? It's amazing

Here's the exact death per case rates >  2.95% in March has become 0.33% over past 10 weeks

It was almost 4 % a year ago March but the March above was already lowered by the start of vaccinations as UK was early out of the gate and flying

Anonymous

I expect the vaccinated will make up more of the people dying from COVID here too in the future..

I hope we get boosters to the most vulnerable as soon as possible.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=422374 time=1633369582 user_id=88
Yes, but let's not get personal / judgmental  and stick to debunking the items alone.

He doesn't take disagreement to "personal" so why would we?

Yeah, but at times it seems that he takes it personally when we pick apart his fake sources. Don't get me wrong, I like Blaze a lot. You know that.

cc

Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=422451 time=1633406771 user_id=56
Yes, but let's not get personal / judgmental  and stick to debunking the items alone.

Yeah, but at times it seems that he takes it personally when we pick apart his fake sources. Don't get me wrong, I like Blaze a lot. You know that.

I did get that feeling of late that pointing out flaws in what he brought forward was being taken personally  .. it was just a feeling that something was different .. but I chalked it up to the current horrific issue and tried to go gently.

Exposing the last issue (the site that grabs and distorts data and conveniently doesn't show what the data actually meant  .. was so clear ... so clear as to be even embarrassing  .. a part of me didn't want to post it when he had such on his plate

Ya, I do know that you like him also. We all like him. I sure hope he does give us another try when he's able to

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=422453 time=1633407264 user_id=88

I did get that feeling of late that pointing out flaws in what he brought forward was being taken personally  .. it was just a feeling that something was different .. but I chalked it up to the current horrific issue and tried to go gently.

Exposing the last issue (the site that grabs and distorts data and conveniently doesn't show what the data actually meant  .. was so clear ... so clear as to be even embarrassing  .. a part of me didn't want to post it when he had such on his plate

Ya, I do know that you like him also. We all like him. I sure hope he does give us another try when he's able to

I'll try to be nice. How do you do that.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=422454 time=1633408448 user_id=56
Quote from: cc post_id=422453 time=1633407264 user_id=88

I'll try to be nice. How do you do that.

It comes natural to you.......you're sweeter than sugar.