News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10554
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 11:33:35 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aylana

COVID-19 >> New Drug Activity & VACCINE TRACKING!!

Started by cc, January 26, 2020, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 7 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cw_

Quote from: cc post_id=439179 time=1644788247 user_id=88

Don't worry. I'll never put you in my sig ... at least not personally  :wink:

Well, you edited your sig from My Canada to Canada.  
">  So there's that.

cc

You are a special busybody .. This isn't the only example by a long way of late . . are you stalking?

Because one day I looked at it and realized it's not just "my" country - It's every Canadian's country

OMG .. . I just reloaded post to correct a spelling error
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

cw_

Don't get hysterical.  You'll break your hip or something.

Bricktop

Quote from: cc post_id=439195 time=1644790466 user_id=88
You are a special busybody ..

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-vQPa2bHpYLI%2FTfDHS529U0I%2FAAAAAAAAB-I%2FjfpWrFrRMXg%2Fs1600%2Fpot_kettle.jpg&f=1&nofb=1">

cc

sigh ..  maybe concern yourself with yourself might be a wiser  plan than stalking and dissecting my posts ...  X2

You have posted some pretty silly stuff

Bricktop

Scuse me?

Point me to any of my posts you will define as "silly".

cc

Relax post was to cw

Recheck post - When I looked at it I spotted it could be taken other than how I intended it be taken & made it more clear

although, of late ...................................  ac_smile

Bricktop

Yeah, yeah.

Newsflash.

Disagreeing with another poster does not ipso facto render your post "silly".

Silly.

cc

You are losing it brick

I'll leave you to play alone a while .. and stew in your own juice

Bricktop

Nah, you won't.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of my posts are well reasoned, well written and compelling.

You can't resist the temptation to read my comments.

Anonymous

New studies have reportedly shown that people may not need a fourth COVID-19 booster shot for months — or even years, depending on the person.

John Wherry, director of the Institute for Immunology at the University of Pennsylvania, told the New York Times for a recent report that researchers are "starting to see now diminishing returns on the number of additional doses" and added that a fourth vaccination may not be necessary for the average adult for a significant period of time.

Wherry added that while people over the age of 65 and those with compromised immune systems may continue to benefit from a fourth dose, it could be unnecessary for most people.

cc

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/02/21/1081810074/omicron-ba2-variant-spread?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social">Didn't want to hear this (Excerpts)

BA.2 has now been found from coast to coast in the US and accounts for an estimated 3.9% all new infections nationally, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It appears to be doubling fast.

As the omicron surge continues to decline in the U.S., infectious disease experts are keeping a close eye on an even more contagious version of the variant that could once again foil the nation's hopes of getting back to normal.

BA.2 has now been found from coast to coast and accounts for an estimated 3.9% all new infections nationally, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It appears to be doubling fast.

"If it doubles again to 8%, that means we're into the exponential growth phase and we may be staring at another wave of COVID-19 coming in the U.S.," says Samuel Scarpino, the manager director of pathogen surveillance at the Rockefeller Foundation.

So even though BA.2 doesn't appear to make people sicker than the original omicron, just slowing down the decline in new cases would translate to more serious illness and death.

"It may be that the virus has to get to somewhere like 5-7%, and then all of a sudden once it has a foothold like that, it will take off," Luban says.

Especially if that happens just as mask mandates and other restrictions are being lifted across the country and people are really letting down their guard.

"There is this lurking threat of BA.2. And we need to make sure this isn't going to be a problem before we roll back all the mandates, before we tell everybody that it's safe," Scarpino says.

Otherwise, the nation could get blindsided yet again.

Anonymous

QuoteReinfections with Omicron subvariants are rare, Danish study finds

COPENHAGEN, Feb 22 (Reuters) - Getting infected twice with two different Omicron coronavirus subvariants is possible, but rarely happens, a Danish study has found.

In Denmark, a more infectious sublineage of the Omicron coronavirus variant known as BA.2 has quickly dethroned the "original" BA.1 variant, which is the most common worldwide, but it has remained unclear whether a person could get infected by both variants.

A new study, led by researchers at Denmark's top infectious disease authority, Statens Serum Institut (SSI), shows that people infected with BA.1 can get infected with BA.2 shortly afterwards, but that it is a rare occurrence.

"We provide evidence that Omicron BA.2 reinfections are rare but can occur relatively shortly after a BA.1 infection," the study authors said.

BA.1 and BA.2 differ by up to 40 mutations. While BA.2 accounts for more than 88% of cases in Denmark, cases have started to increase in the United Kingdom, South Africa and Norway.

The reinfections mostly affected young, unvaccinated individuals and only caused mild disease, none of which led to hospitalisations or deaths, the researchers added.

The study, which is not yet peer-reviewed, found 1,739 cases registered between Nov 21, 2021, and Feb 11 this year, where people had tested positive twice between 20 and 60 days apart.

In that period more than 1.8 million infections were registered in Denmark.

From a smaller sample group, the study found 47 instances of BA.2 reinfections shortly after a BA.1 infection. The researchers also detected less virus material at the second infection, suggesting some immunity was developed from the first infections.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/reinfections-with-omicron-subvariants-are-rare-danish-study-finds-2022-02-22/">https://www.reuters.com/business/health ... 022-02-22/">https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/reinfections-with-omicron-subvariants-are-rare-danish-study-finds-2022-02-22/

cc

That's a piece of good news ^^  .. at least for the long run

Logical assumption from data:

It  appears to indicate that protection is not necessarily immediate following course of infection, rather protection builds over time

This may help  explain how some had both Delta & XI at the same time

cc

Noravax Coming to Canada Soon

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/12/novavax-covid-vaccine-shows-904-efficacy-against-infection">Novavax COVID vaccine shows 90.4% efficacy against infection

It's built as per older vaccines that most every person has in them and seemed to survive quite well

A phase 3 trial yesterday in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) finds that the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine is 90.4% effective against infection and 100% effective against moderate to severe illness, bringing yet another vaccine one step closer to approval. The study, led by Novavax researchers in Gaithersburg, Maryland, involved 29,949 adults who received the Novavax vaccine

Novavax is a new adjuvanted, recombinant spike protein nanoparticle vaccine that has proven effective against COVID-19 infection in the United Kingdom and South Africa. This was the first such trial in North America.

It can be stored for up to 6 months at normal refrigerator temperatures make it well-suited for international deployment.

Ten moderate and four severe COVID-19 infections occurred, all in the placebo group, for a vaccine efficacy against moderate to severe illness of 100%.