The best topic

Replies: 10566
Total votes: : 4

Last post: October 06, 2024, 10:32:53 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

COVID-19 >>"True and Helpful" Covid Information Thread

Started by cc, March 13, 2020, 04:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 14 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=394815 time=1608506787 user_id=3254
Quote from: cc post_id=394812 time=1608506133 user_id=88
UK is getting  worse every day now ..   27052 yesterday & 35928 today .. even higher than last week

And that's after a four week lock down..

Lock downs were able to bend the curve in the spring, but they are not as effective as a way of containing the virus during the second wave..

The virus is too widespread now.

Canada has now joined many EU countries in banning travel from UK .. in an attempt to keep new high spreader strain out  .. There's a new country added to the list every hour now

I expect to hear the US does the same very soon
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

cc

https://www.blazingcatfur.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Yukon-Ford.jpg">

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=394835 time=1608515954 user_id=88
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=394815 time=1608506787 user_id=3254
Quote from: cc post_id=394812 time=1608506133 user_id=88
UK is getting  worse every day now ..   27052 yesterday & 35928 today .. even higher than last week

And that's after a four week lock down..

Lock downs were able to bend the curve in the spring, but they are not as effective as a way of containing the virus during the second wave..

The virus is too widespread now.

Canada has now joined many EU countries in banning travel from UK .. in an attempt to keep new high spreader strain out  .. There's a new country added to the list every hour now

I expect to hear the US does the same very soon

Has the new strain been found outside Britain?

cc

Some talk it was found in Africa and maybe more .. I have no proof of that ... may be just scuttlebut ... we will know all the facts in due course tho

So much rumor on it .. saw one statement they spotted it in September .. I found that hard to believe also

Hopefully the whole thing will soon come out accurately and properly supported

cc

Found this much on it:

A mutated virus sounds instinctively scary, but to mutate and change is what viruses do.

Most of the time it is either a meaningless tweak or the virus alters itself in such a way that it gets worse at infecting us and the new variant just dies out.

Occasionally it hits on a new winning formula.

There is no clear-cut evidence the new variant of coronavirus - which has been detected in south-east England - is able to transmit more easily, cause more serious symptoms or render the vaccine useless.

However, there are two reasons scientists are keeping a close eye on it.  

There are links within this link https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55312505">https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55312505

Now that it is very big news, we should hear more about it very soon

Anonymous

Anonymous

All of Ontario will be in a lockdown staring Christmas eve. Twenty eight days in the South and fourteen days in the North.

cc

Quote from: Herman post_id=394855 time=1608539146 user_id=1689
I heard it is more transmissible.

That's what they are saying. Now that it's world news, we should get more accurate  detail.

Accuracy of that "70% more transmissible" depends on how long they have been monitoring it (which I don't know, but we should hear more soon)

I'm confused because if they have known for long enough to determine transmissibly, news of it should have been out sooner or at least given to other countries they interact with

cc

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=394862 time=1608562153 user_id=114
All of Ontario will be in a lockdown staring Christmas eve. Twenty eight days in the South and fourteen days in the North.

Heard that. While I'm not necessarily agreeing with lockdown, I can't help wonder why they wait .. like if they judge it necessary, then why let things get even worse??

I get the  Christmas get together part, but if it's enough of an emergency to act, then act  :confused1:

Over weekend  & today numbers not rising further but  continue about the same (2,100+ / day)

We are the only ones who don't get weekend numbers (usually) .. so I'm dreading this afternoon's 3 day report ... although we have flattened and even are down a tiny bit for each of last 3 weeks .... although not enough to call it anything other than flat

cc

Here's best so far on UK

U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson told reporters this new variant is more than 70 per cent more transmissible. But he stressed, "There's no evidence to suggest it is more lethal or causes more severe illness."

"At the moment, it's really being flagged as one (variant) which is a very strong candidate for changing the transmission of the virus," Lucy van Dorp, senior research fellow in microbial genomics working at UCL Genetics Institute, told CTVNews.ca on Sunday.

Johnson explained the variant was likely the cause of an uptick of new cases in London and southern England.

Van Dorp explained that although preliminary evidence, such as from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, points at its increased transmissibility, she's cautioning people to wait for more analysis and peer-reviewed studies.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/what-we-know-about-the-u-k-s-new-novel-coronavirus-variant-1.5239317">https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.5239317">https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/what-we-know-about-the-u-k-s-new-novel-coronavirus-variant-1.5239317

Edit - More than 40 countries ban UK arrivals - PM to give speech about it any moment now

Frood

It's all crap and has been... I wish people like Boris would just STFU...
Blahhhhhh...

cc

Ya, ok

Herman - I checked it out - that "calcifediol" nomenclature used by Mayo Clinic is actually what D3 produces in the body and D3 can be termed with that name .. it is give to hospital covid patients

End result, D3 is the best way to go .. Despite what some might say, all are not the same - Other forms of D are not as effective

I upped my D3 from 1000 to 3000 a while ago - Doc & Pharmacist said that's safe and likely wise while susceptible to Covid (i.e. not vaccinated).. Use you judgement

Please confirm that you read this

cc

PM says 500,000 have already had first vaccine dose  in UK & says Easter will be vey very different than Xmas

WTF has our useless guy done?... we get 6 m doses by end of March .. Minuscule by comparison @##$$%^^

Frood

Yeah, whatever... be the best super duper dupe you can be...
Blahhhhhh...

cc

UPDATE on "Possibility" of Vaccine Resistance

https://us.cnn.com/2020/12/20/health/walter-reed-covid-19-variant/index.html">US army scientists examine new UK coronavirus variant to see if it might be resistant to vaccine

Scientists at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research expect to know in the next few days if there's a concern that the coronavirus vaccines might not work against a mutated variant of the virus that's rapidly spreading in parts of England, according to the institute's top vaccine researcher.

While there's always a worry that a vaccine won't work if a virus mutates significantly, the Walter Reed scientists still expect the vaccine will be effective against this new variant, said Dr. Nelson Michael, director of the Center for Infectious Diseases Research at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research.

"It stands to reason that this mutation isn't a threat, but you never know. We still have to be diligent and continue to look," Michael said.

They're doing a computer analysis as a first step.

"The computer analysis will allow us to gauge how much concern we should have," Michael said. "Other teams around the world are doing this analysis, too."

If the computer analysis show there's a concern, then studies would need to be done in the laboratory and in animals to more definitively determine if the vaccine will work on this variant.