The best topic

Replies: 10554
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 11:33:35 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aylana

COVID-19 >>"True and Helpful" Covid Information Thread

Started by cc, March 13, 2020, 04:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 11 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

Agreed. Weekends may not get full counts in many places - at least it often seems that way
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Alberta recorded 1,799 new cases, and four deaths today.

cc

Posted in wrong thread - moved it hereOur decrease is real and continues but quite slow

Today's 600 new cases is only 94 better than last weeks average day & week-to-date  total is  down for last 5 days by 600

80+ % of all new cases for us are variants .. sure enough, they have taken over

You guys are down a total of 1,752 cases from last weeks average day for last 5 days .. a good sign, but still not dramatic considering the total daily count is very high

Manitoba is up 635 cases vs. average day total for last 5 days - not good what with it's much smaller population

Sask remains lower and has come down a bit from last weeks average day for last 5 days

Using same criteria, ON is down  3,143  .. . Quebec down 640

Also Canada is down 5,386 for last 5 days using same criteria

These variants are brutal for easy infections - Even UK is up a bit this week, after months of decreasing weekly rates

I have started using the comparison of "how much up or down for new week to date whatever the day it is    vs. last weeks average day (my new and current weeks starting each Saturday)

I have found it a "live" method I dreamed up for accurately  watching trends without waiting for each week to end .... and demonstrated  current trends more accurately  than the "7 day rolling average which can be misleading at times when it drops off a non-typical day (shooting up when today is lower for example or vice versa (a misleading  flaw in monitoring the the 7 day average) "

It works against the average of all days last week instead of against single days dropping off > thus gives a more accurate picture of how a place is doing up or down

If anyone has question on this method, just ask and I'll try to explain more clearly .. I'm open to large patent offers from BC and all government health depts   ac_smile

Anonymous

I've wondered about indoor ventilation.

Experts say more measures needed to address COVID-19 aerosol transmission

More than a year into the novel coronavirus pandemic, Canadian experts say changes are needed to address the indoor transmission of COVID-19 aerosols, tiny particles or droplets that can stay in the air.

They say the current infection control protocols in place don't adequately help to curb the airborne transmission of COVID-19 and that officials need to pivot to target the appropriate areas, like ventilation and proper mask-wearing.

"I think people are quite fixated on hand-washing, two metres distancing and wearing some sort of face-covering ... If you look at the transmission of COVID and say, 'You acquire COVID by breathing in infected air and infected air accumulates indoors,' I think it's easier for people to understand how they're getting infected."

Nearly two weeks ago — and after months of heated debate — the World Health Organization (WHO) acknowledged that COVID-19 can be spread through aerosols in poorly ventilated or crowded indoor spaces since the tiny particles "remain suspended in the air" and can travel more than one metre.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) also recently updated its guidance on COVID-19 transmission, saying, "Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from inhalation of virus in the air farther than six feet from an infectious source can occur."

While these public health organizations have only recently updated their stances on the transmission of the novel coronavirus, some experts have long believed that people could contract COVID-19 through particles that stay in the air.

"By acknowledging how COVID is mostly being transmitted, we can use the tools in the toolbox that we have to control an aerosol-transmitted disease," said David Fisman, an epidemiology professor at the University of Toronto's Dalla Lana School of Public Health.

"We can be more effective at disease control, and we can open up and relax some things that aren't going to create danger for anybody."

Proper indoor ventilation also needed

In order to mitigate indoor airborne transmission of the novel coronavirus, experts say better ventilation is needed in buildings, homes, schools and workplaces.

"This is a very old problem — we have always had this debate about many diseases, about what's airborne and what does airborne actually mean," said Jeffrey Siegel, a professor in the civil and mineral engineering department at the University of Toronto.

"Even without COVID, and in fact, maybe even much more than COVID, indoor air quality is a substantial problem already."

Siegel said ventilation needs to be addressed in many — if not most — buildings and that measures need to be put in place to protect people who need to be in close proximity with one another or without masks.

"Obviously, upgrading every ventilation system in a short period of time is not going to be possible," Fallis said.

"There are other options, like air filtration, things like HEPA filters or filters on furnaces, that will help to remove particulate as the air is being circulated."

https://globalnews.ca/news/7855626/experts-more-measures-covid-19-aerosol-transmission/">https://globalnews.ca/news/7855626/expe ... nsmission/">https://globalnews.ca/news/7855626/experts-more-measures-covid-19-aerosol-transmission/

Anonymous

Ontario reported 2759 cases today. That's still too many, but the numbers are trending down.

Anonymous

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=410834 time=1620918473 user_id=114
Ontario reported 2759 cases today. That's still too many, but the numbers are trending down.

Daily cases will really drop by the end of summer when most adults in Canada will have had at least one dose.

cc

Yes - UK is a prime example - Last week, i's cases were  2,060 average day vs 17,234 for its neighbor France average day last week - despite a slightly larger population ... and 16,067 for Germany

cc

BC had identified that covid hot spots also have the lowest vaccination rates  

With equal opportunity for vaccines .. it  says a lot about attitudes on spreading actions in general

Anonymous

Alberta is a lot further from a staged reopening than Saskatchewan.

Canada's roadmap to reopening: Look to Saskatchewan

To know when we'll return to normal, we must first figure out how to get there. One Prairie province might just show the way.

But only Saskatchewan—well ahead of most provinces in getting shots into the arms of its residents—has released a detailed one. And it may serve as a rough blueprint for the rest of the country to follow. At the very least, it gives a sense of the signals and milestones that will show the way to our long-awaited life after lockdowns.

"The road back to normal runs through one of our vaccination clinics," said Premier Scott Moe on May 4. "Saskatchewan's reopening roadmap is a three-step plan to gradually lift the current public health orders as Saskatchewan reaches significant vaccination levels."

The first step of the province's Re-Opening Roadmap occurs three weeks after 70 per cent of those 40 and older have received first doses and vaccine eligibility has been opened to all adults, 18 and older. Moe expects that will occur in the last week of May, and at that point some restrictions ease. Bars and restaurants will open, and up to 30 people will be permitted to attend indoor public gatherings. As further vaccination and timing targets are reached, more public health measures will be eased.

Moe uses the United Kingdom's stepped approach as his model, pointing out that Britain started step one of its reopening on March 8, when 43 per cent of adults had their first doses of vaccine; he announced his plan on the day Saskatchewan reached 44 per cent.

"The emphasis on immunization coverage as the main metric to be looking at for a reopening strategy is a good move," Neudorf says. "It gives people a reason to go out and get immunized because once we reach certain marks, we're part of the solution." What's more, he says, the simplicity of Saskatchewan's plan makes it easy for everyone to understand.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/how-covid-19-is-spreading-in-canada-on-domestic-flights/">https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/how ... c-flights/">https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/how-covid-19-is-spreading-in-canada-on-domestic-flights/

cc

Sask has done well all along

For at lease a single dose, we hit 50% of population today (that could be for adults or for on hand supply. I need to confirm as I just caught it on the ticker of Global news channel) ...

Supply for all of Canada is and will continue to be up a lot now and will be for quite a while .. if not even indefinitely

EDIT -  just saw again - 50 % of "eligible" BCites

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=410880 time=1620933273 user_id=88
Sask has done well all along

For at lease a single dose, we hit 50% of population today (that could be for adults or for on hand supply. I need to confirm as I just caught it on the ticker of Global news channel) ...

Supply for all of Canada is and will continue to be up a lot now and will be for quite a while .. if not even indefinitely

EDIT -  just saw again - 50 % of "eligible" BCites

We've vaccinate about fourty four per cent of the total population with at least one dose, which is over fifty per cent of the adult population.

Anonymous

Alberta had 1558 new infections today, and nine deaths..

We still have a positivity rate of over ten per cent.

Anonymous

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has announced that fully vaccinated Americans may return to normal life without masks whether they are indoors or outdoors in the vast majority of settings.

cc

Sadly, Manitoba is having a bad time with 560 today and 867 more than last weeks average day after 6 days this week

All others are down as is Canada as a whole

We keep creeping down with 740 less this week so far

Alberta is down 2250 over the past 6 days .. Sask is down a bit.  ON is down 6,000 over past 6 days & QB is down substantially

Anonymous

Quote from: Herman post_id=410899 time=1620953126 user_id=1689
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has announced that fully vaccinated Americans may return to normal life without masks whether they are indoors or outdoors in the vast majority of settings.

I'm done with masks and social distancing two weeks after I get my second jab. Any white Karens that have a problem with that can kiss my shapely yellow ASS!