The best topic

Replies: 10566
Total votes: : 4

Last post: October 06, 2024, 10:32:53 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

COVID-19 >>"True and Helpful" Covid Information Thread

Started by cc, March 13, 2020, 04:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 19 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

There won't be a fourth wave. Not with 2/3 of the population fully dosed.

Anonymous

Alberta's numbers for the past four days,

126 Cases on August 2

147 Cases on August 1

230 Cases on July 31

240 Cases on July 30

cc

Similar here ... going up > up . up .. although most are from a new area, the Interior Okanagan area ... the usual culprits, up a bit

Florida is setting records now .. Texas not so much but starting up fast now .. Georgia also

UK is steadily and slowly easing down
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=417270 time=1628035457 user_id=88
Similar here ... going up > up . up .. although most are from a new area, the Interior Okanagan area ... the usual culprits, up a bit

Florida is setting records now .. Texas not so much but starting up fast now .. Georgia

Alberta will soon have three quarters of it's population fully vaccinated..

That means the virus can only spread among one quarter of the population.

cc

I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

I heard that Saskatchewan will follow Alberta's lead and not require testing, contract tracing and isolation. Now that is a problem for the old lady and I. We want to go to the Dominican Republic this winter. We will need negative tests three days before we go. Testing will only be available for people with symptoms just like in Alberta.

Anonymous

Quote from: Herman post_id=417276 time=1628036393 user_id=1689
I heard that Saskatchewan will follow Alberta's lead and not require testing, contract tracing and isolation. Now that is a problem for the old lady and I. We want to go to the Dominican Republic this winter. We will need negative tests three days before we go. Testing will only be available for people with symptoms just like in Alberta.

My husband, my son and I want to go to the Netherlands for Christmas..

We'll need a negative test three days before we go..

I don't know how we can get tested without symptoms.

Odinson

https://www.wtrf.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2021/05/image-6.png">

Anonymous

Quote from: Odinson post_id=417355 time=1628107621 user_id=136

That's not a good analogy..

Being unvaccinated is a choice.

Odinson

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=417356 time=1628108144 user_id=3254

A choice that has negative consequences.

You cant leave the country, you´ll lose your job.

Peeps just hate you.

ac_biggrin

Anonymous

Quote from: Odinson post_id=417358 time=1628108938 user_id=136

Peeps just hate you.

ac_biggrin

Then get vaccinated.

Odinson

Quote from: Herman post_id=417360 time=1628109606 user_id=1689

Peeps just hate you.

ac_biggrin

Then get vaccinated.

Nevah!

">

Anonymous

Quote from: Odinson post_id=417363 time=1628111230 user_id=136
Quote from: Herman post_id=417360 time=1628109606 user_id=1689

Peeps just hate you.

ac_biggrin

Then get vaccinated.

Nevah!

">

whatevah

Anonymous

Anonymous

An interesting prespective on COVID by Licia Corbella.

It's time we stopped 'freaking out' and learn to live with COVID, just like Hinshaw says

'The question is, at what time points do we make a shift into living with COVID?'

How did Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Alberta's chief medical officer of health, get transformed from nearly every Albertan's golden girl of COVID care to a pandemic pariah at the speed of a Twitter pile on?

In short, she announced the loosening of restrictions. It appears many people just can't let go of the fearmongering.

What's ironic is many of these profane pundits are the very same people who repeatedly admonished all others to rightly listen to the experts and follow the science.

Indeed, even Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi — who not so long ago was singing Hinshaw's praises and wearing a 'What would Dr. Hinshaw do?' T-shirt, seemed to have turned on Hinshaw, saying he was "freaking out" and called the elimination of almost all health restrictions related to COVID by the end of the month "the height of insanity."

Indeed, Hinshaw pointed out 95 per cent of COVID cases since January occurred in unvaccinated people or people still developing immunity in the early days after a first dose.

"I think it's regrettable that we've seen comments attacking the expertise of our brilliant chief medical officer of health," Kenney said in defence of Hinshaw.

"This was a package that came forward from the chief medical officer of health and her team based on the evidence, both here and around the world, of the changing nature of the disease given widespread vaccine protection and a careful analysis of the risks and benefits . . . So I guess I would say that this is a government that respects the advice of our scientific experts . . . knowing that that advice is based on hard data and science."

Kenney quoted Dr. Sarah Fortune, chair of the department of immunology and infectious diseases at Harvard University, who told CBC's Radio Active she believes Alberta's plan is sound.

"I think Alberta is taking reasonable steps in the face of having done a good job of bringing the viral numbers down and in the face of good vaccine coverage," said Fortune.

"I don't think the people of Alberta, where you've achieved upwards of 70 per cent vaccine coverage, need to think that they're going to become the next Louisiana, where vaccine coverage is much lower."

According to Alberta Health, 76 per cent of Albertans aged 12 and older have received at least one vaccine and 65.8 per cent have received two doses. That's higher than Israel, which led the world early on and for many months afterwards.

Hinshaw says COVID-19 and its variants will be with us for a long time and the extraordinary measures in place to combat it — widely testing asymptomatic people, for instance — aren't sustainable as they leach away valuable medical personnel from helping Albertans with other ailments.

"One of the things that's important to note in terms of context is there are very few places around the world that have the kinds of vaccine coverage that we have, and in speaking to other colleagues who are contemplating their forward planning, everybody is aware that their current approach is not sustainable," said Hinshaw.

"The question is, at what time points do we make a shift into living with COVID?"

That's the zillion-dollar question.

"I think everyone is aware that we're not going to eliminate COVID and so there are risks and benefits . . . of making that shift. And there's also risks of maintaining the status quo," she added.

People are naturally concerned for their children, but Hinshaw pointed out more children were hospitalized in intensive care over the seven-month flu season of 2019-20 than were hospitalized through the 17 months of COVID-19.

COVID is just not a serious illness for kids. The flu is worse. Other ailments are worse and other activities are much more risky.

Kenney noted that kids aged five to 14 had a 140 times greater risk of an emergency department visit for a sports-related injury in 2019 than the risk of COVID-related hospital admission since March 2020. We don't talk about shutting down kids' sports because, unfortunately, some kids get injured and have to go to the emergency ward. A tiny fraction of that number ends up having to visit a hospital with COVID-19.

"It's important to recall that in Alberta over the 17 months of the disease here, we have not recorded a single COVID-related death for any Albertan under the age of 20," he said. "And the vaccine coverage just reduces the chances of children becoming sick or experiencing severe symptoms radically from where we were six and 12 months ago."

In other words, ignore Twitter and those who want to continue lockdowns and treating COVID like we did before we were widely vaccinated. Follow the science. It's time we learned to live with this illness and get on with living.

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/corbella-its-time-we-stopped-freaking-out-and-learn-to-live-with-covid-just-like-hinshaw-says?fbclid=IwAR2Ow1DCbgI2u4XIB4mSBE8uzUgNz9qRzD4XzFlIzV55RTbY48Q5s_CyvRk">https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/colum ... 8Q5s_CyvRk">https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/corbella-its-time-we-stopped-freaking-out-and-learn-to-live-with-covid-just-like-hinshaw-says?fbclid=IwAR2Ow1DCbgI2u4XIB4mSBE8uzUgNz9qRzD4XzFlIzV55RTbY48Q5s_CyvRk