The best topic

Replies: 10566
Total votes: : 4

Last post: October 06, 2024, 10:32:53 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

COVID-19 >>"True and Helpful" Covid Information Thread

Started by cc, March 13, 2020, 04:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 20 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

As to severity of XI variant which is mainly unknown now, this while not definitive, is our first  indication  .. mind you cases have tripled in past 10 days

"In Quebec, which is believed to be seven to 10 days ahead of B.C. in terms of Omicron's spread, hospitalization have surged by 75 per cent over the last two weeks."

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-breaks-covid-19-case-record-for-2nd-day-in-a-row-1.5717279">https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-breaks-covid- ... -1.5717279">https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-breaks-covid-19-case-record-for-2nd-day-in-a-row-1.5717279
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

cc

https://www.grandforksgazette.ca/news/molecular-analysis-of-omicron-variant-shows-its-highly-evasive-of-immunity-ubc/">Molecular analysis of Omicron variant shows it's 'highly evasive of immunity': UBC

Vaccines remain the best defense, researchers found

A group of University of B.C. scientists have unveiled a molecular-level analysis of the Omicron variant that is swiftly becoming the dominant strain of COVID-19.

The analysis, which was done at "near atomic resolution" using a cryo-electron microscope, showed how the heavily mutated variant infects cells and is "highly evasive of immunity."

Sriram Subramaniam, a professor at UBC's faculty of medicine's department of biochemistry and molecular biology, said that the Omicron variant had 37 spike protein mutations, much more than any previous variants.

According to Subramaniam, that has big implications for how the variant will act, because the spike protein is responsible for both how the virus attaches to and infects human cells and because its also where the antibodies attach to fight off the virus.

https://3hwcdn3mfa0k3ih9v710firk-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/27610653_web1_Omicron-molecular-image-ubc-640x427.jpg">

"Small mutations on the spike protein have potentially big implications for how the virus is transmitted, how our body fights it off, and the effectiveness of treatments," Subramaniam said.

The UBC analysis showed that some of the mutations increased binding affinity, or how strongly the virus attaches to human cells, while other mutations appear to decrease the strength of this bond.

"Overall, the findings show that Omicron has greater binding affinity than the original SARS-CoV-2 virus, with levels more comparable to what we see with the Delta variant," Subramaniam said. "It is remarkable that the Omicron variant evolved to retain its ability to bind with human cells efficiently despite such extensive mutations."

Subramaniam said that his team's analysis confirmed what's playing out in real life: the Omicron spike protein is "far better" than other variants at evading both the monoclonal antibodies used as COVID treatments and the immunity built with vaccines or natural infection.

"Notably, Omicron was less evasive of the immunity created by vaccines, compared to immunity stemming from natural infection in unvaccinated COVID-19 patients," he said. "This suggests that vaccination remains our best defence against the Omicron variant."

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

cc

Leave it to the U.S. Army to figure it all out.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/report-army-has-developed-single-vaccine-that-protects-from-all-variants-of-covid-19-sars">Scientists at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research think they have created a new vaccine that is effective against all COVID and SARS variants, according to a new report.

"Within weeks, scientists at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research expect to announce that they have developed a vaccine that is effective against COVID-19 and all its variants, even Omicron, as well as from previous SARS-origin viruses that have killed millions of people worldwide," Defense One first reported.

"The achievement is the result of almost two years of work on the virus. The Army lab received its first DNA sequencing of the COVID-19 virus in early 2020. Very early on, Walter Reed's infectious diseases branch decided to focus on making a vaccine that would work against not just the existing strain but all of its potential variants as well," says the report.

Phase 1 of trials on humans, which reportedly tested the vaccine against Omicron and other variants, concluded this month, but the vaccine still needs to go through phase 2 and phase 3 trials.

"Unlike existing vaccines, Walter Reed's SpFN uses a soccer-ball-shaped protein with 24 faces for its vaccine, which allows scientists to attach the spikes of multiple coronavirus strains on different faces of the protein," Defense One notes.

"It's very exciting to get to this point for our entire team and I think for the entire Army as well," Dr. Kayvon Modjarrad, director of Walter Reed's infectious diseases branch said in an exclusive interview with Defense One.

The vaccine will also be tested on people who have been vaccinated or contracted the virus, thus building up antibodies. "We need to evaluate it in the real-world setting and try to understand how does the vaccine perform in much larger numbers of individuals who have already been vaccinated with something else initially...or already been sick," Modjarrad said.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

cc

Please be careful there Fash. I see population less that 1/2 of Canada & 13,300 cases today

Tell me, do they still talk about Canada in WW2? .. I know some time back Canadians were revered there for playing a big role in freeing Holland from the nazis .. Been a long time, maybe now generation not so much?

Saw 2 sources that South Africa is going down in numbers last cpl days ... a small positive point in a large negative area

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=431784 time=1640228534 user_id=88
Leave it to the U.S. Army to figure it all out.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/report-army-has-developed-single-vaccine-that-protects-from-all-variants-of-covid-19-sars">Scientists at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research think they have created a new vaccine that is effective against all COVID and SARS variants, according to a new report.

"Within weeks, scientists at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research expect to announce that they have developed a vaccine that is effective against COVID-19 and all its variants, even Omicron, as well as from previous SARS-origin viruses that have killed millions of people worldwide," Defense One first reported.

"The achievement is the result of almost two years of work on the virus. The Army lab received its first DNA sequencing of the COVID-19 virus in early 2020. Very early on, Walter Reed's infectious diseases branch decided to focus on making a vaccine that would work against not just the existing strain but all of its potential variants as well," says the report.

Phase 1 of trials on humans, which reportedly tested the vaccine against Omicron and other variants, concluded this month, but the vaccine still needs to go through phase 2 and phase 3 trials.

"Unlike existing vaccines, Walter Reed's SpFN uses a soccer-ball-shaped protein with 24 faces for its vaccine, which allows scientists to attach the spikes of multiple coronavirus strains on different faces of the protein," Defense One notes.

"It's very exciting to get to this point for our entire team and I think for the entire Army as well," Dr. Kayvon Modjarrad, director of Walter Reed's infectious diseases branch said in an exclusive interview with Defense One.

The vaccine will also be tested on people who have been vaccinated or contracted the virus, thus building up antibodies. "We need to evaluate it in the real-world setting and try to understand how does the vaccine perform in much larger numbers of individuals who have already been vaccinated with something else initially...or already been sick," Modjarrad said.

A vaccine to end all vaccines.

deadskinmask

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=431790 time=1640241086 user_id=1676
Great....another toxic spike protein jab...

yeah.... but this one really really works.... they promise.... :laugh:

Frood

Quote from: deadskinmask post_id=431795 time=1640256745 user_id=1582

The levels of stupid compounded on stupid would be concerning if they didn't already violate stupidness...

Get the first and second jab to save you from a disease.....then get the very same formula in a 3rd to 4th jab, because the first two didn't work...

This isn't a vaccination.... it's an IQ test.
Blahhhhhh...

deadskinmask

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=431796 time=1640258234 user_id=1676
Quote from: deadskinmask post_id=431795 time=1640256745 user_id=1582

The levels of stupid compounded on stupid would be concerning if they didn't already violate stupidness...

Get the first and second jab to save you from a disease.....then get the very same formula in a 3rd to 4th jab, because the first two didn't work...

This isn't a vaccination.... it's an IQ test.

its like a surreal version of Simon Says.... Simon says wear a mask.... Simon says stay in your house.... Simon says wear two masks....Don't wear a mask.... uh oh, i didn't say Simon Says.... Simon says get jabbed.... Simon says get two jabs.... Simon says get three jabs and wear a mask.... fuckin idiots.... :laugh:

Anonymous

People who contract the Omicron variant during this current wave of COVID-19 infections are much less likely to be hospitalized than they are if they contract other strains of the virus, according to a new study from South Africa.

The study, released Wednesday by the National Institute for Communicable Diseases, comes as countries around the globe grapple with how to handle the new strain, which appears to be more resistant to current COVID-19 vaccines.

In the study, researchers compared Omicron infections with Delta and other variant infections from October to November and discovered that Omicron infections resulted in a considerable 80% decreased chance of hospitalization.

But when compared to Delta infections starting in April — when that strain dominated much of the world — Omicron infections were associated with a 70% lower odds of severe disease, even though the new strain appears to produce a higher viral load in infected patients.

cc

Reports from Denmark, UK (2) and SA all say this ... It's early to know for sure & improvement found in early studies in serious is not great when put alongside the horrendous rise in cases

Eg. It took 694 days from the first reported case of the novel coronavirus in Canada to reach 10,000 daily cases, a bar set on Dec. 19.

It only took four days after that to reach 20,000 daily cases.

On the good side, I did see unconfirmed reports that SA was seeing a fall in daily numbers  .. I've not been tracking SA so can't confirm   it

Anonymous

Oh my goodness, I looked up cases in Canada.....they're exploding..

Canada had more than 21,000 cases on December 23, Alberta had over 1600, Quebec had almost 9400..

If there's a silver lining, it's that hospitalizations and ICU's aren't filling up quickly yet.

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=431887 time=1640320230 user_id=3254
Oh my goodness, I looked up cases in Canada.....they're exploding..

Canada had more than 21,000 cases on December 23, Alberta had over 1600, Quebec had almost 9400..

If there's a silver lining, it's that hospitalizations and ICU's aren't filling up quickly yet.

I wouldn't be surprised of Canada will be getting 50.000 cases a day after January 1.

Anonymous

Cases might be starting level off here in Holland with this harsh lockdown..

I could be going home to another harsh lockdown.