Replies: 8492
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 02:06:59 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

COVID-19 >>"True and Helpful" Covid Information Thread

Started by cc, March 13, 2020, 04:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Week as I calculate it ended - All 5 major  European countries down considerably in cases this week from past week

France and Spain down 2 weeks in a row & significantly this week

Whatever they are doing to lower cases, it seems to be working some . . although numbers vs. population still quite high (far above Canada but we are still rising at a slow rate)
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

We are over two weeks into the strictest code red in Canada and we had 344 new infections and 10 deaths today. On a per capita basis both are among the worst in Canada.

Anonymous

Alberta had 1227 new cases and nine deaths today..

I hope the new restrictions starts lowering the number of infections soon.

Anonymous

BC had 911 new infections today and eleven deaths.

Anonymous

We had 329 new cases today. On a per capita basis we are getting as bad as Alberta.

cc

Alberta grew 1200 previous week, and 2500 this week

We grew 1000 previous week and 450 this week

I use friday as  end of week totals

Death rates / case move continually and slowly downward

Anonymous

China did a real number on the West. It will take a long time for a full recovery.

How Has Coronavirus Impacted America's Small Businesses? Here's What The Data Says

https://dailycaller.com/2020/11/27/coronavirus-pandemic-small-business-closures-employment-economic-data/?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2360&pnespid=k.V3p.pUXFONBgzyJjY0mPyR27sMnMu.oqw3w6bQ">https://dailycaller.com/2020/11/27/coro ... u.oqw3w6bQ">https://dailycaller.com/2020/11/27/coronavirus-pandemic-small-business-closures-employment-economic-data/?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2360&pnespid=k.V3p.pUXFONBgzyJjY0mPyR27sMnMu.oqw3w6bQ

A combination of higher unemployment and lower consumer spending due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic has had a devastating impact on America's small businesses.

Industries ranging from restaurants to light manufacturers have reported huge losses in revenue throughout the year and difficulty in retaining employees, The New York Times reported. Economists projected that 2% of small businesses would close forever because of the pandemic, according to an academic study published in The Washington Post.

More than 30 million small businesses operate in the U.S. and employ more than 50 million people, according to the Small Business Administration (SBA). The agency defines a small business as having no more than 1,500 employees and less than $38.5 million in average annual revenue.

Small businesses are critical to the American economy given that they represent the vast majority of all businesses and account for nearly 44% of all economic activity, according to a 2019 SBA report.

Months of uncertainty during the pandemic has strained small business operations considerably due to a surge in new coronavirus cases, statewide lockdowns and restrictions on public gatherings. Many small businesses have effectively transitioned to new operating models but business closures — often permanent — are widespread.

A Yelp economic impact report published in September found that 163,735 total small businesses had temporarily closed since the beginning of the pandemic in March, with 97,966 of those closures reported as permanent.

Permanent closures represent roughly 60% of all small business closures, with restaurants and retail stores facing the brunt of the pandemic's economic impact, CNBC reported. Yelp vice president of data science Justin Norman noted that "business closures have continued to rise with a 34% increase in permanent closures" compared to July.

But industries that operate with relatively consistent consumer demand have fared better. "Despite the hard hit small businesses have certainly taken, we've seen that home, local, professional and automotive services have been able to withstand the effects of the pandemic better than other industries," Norman said.

Large cities have been disproportionately impacted by small business closures and report needing further aid, according to the World Economic Forum. In local economies built around hospitality and tourism like Honolulu and New Orleans, small business closures are double the national average as vacations and conferences have been halted indefinitely. Cities with large technology industries like San Francisco and Austin have also seen similar rates of business closures.

Some parts of the economy are beginning to hum again as an October report from the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) found more than half of small business owners plan to increase employment. More businesses are also making capital outlays and increasing inventories, according to the report.

But NFIB vice president for federal government relations Kevin Kuhlman noted that the recovery trend is still not strong enough for many small businesses. "If economic trends continue at this rate, one in five business owners anticipates they won't make it until the end of the year," he said.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=392138 time=1606528934 user_id=88
Alberta grew 1200 previous week, and 2500 this week

We grew 1000 previous week and 450 this week

I use friday as  end of week totals

Death rates / case move continually and slowly downward

As high as our numbers are, I thought they were down from the fifteen hundred we were getting last weekend.

cc

Current week total (Sat to Fri today) = 9,153

This week (today at top)

Previous week total (Sat to Fri)  = 6,640 new cases

Previous week

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=392148 time=1606532991 user_id=88
Current week total (Sat to Fri today) = 9,153

This week (today at top)

Previous week total (Sat to Fri)  = 6,640 new cases

Previous week

I hope the new measures brought in the middle of the week means that cases peaked last weekend.

cc

Yes. I takes a bit for it to show in new cases  

It also can take a bit to clear those who now are home inside with others - that in itself can cause a temporary rise in numbers

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=392153 time=1606534350 user_id=88

It also can take a bit to clear those who now are home inside with others - that in itself can cause a temporary rise in numbers

It's taking quite a while for Manitoba's number of cases to go down, though it appears they have peaked.

Thiel

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=392154 time=1606535076 user_id=3254

It's taking quite a while for Manitoba's number of cases to go down, though it appears they have peaked.

Frustration is setting in here. It's Black Friday, and there are no indoor sales.
gay, conservative and proud

Anonymous

Quote from: Thiel post_id=392156 time=1606535722 user_id=1688
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=392154 time=1606535076 user_id=3254

Frustration is setting in here. It's Black Friday, and there are no indoor sales.

The Alberta opposition wants a version of what Manitoba has done..

But, after two and a half weeks of social stress, the results aren't very good.

Thiel

The number of infections is dropping in Manitoba. But, it has not been the results that were expected.
gay, conservative and proud