The best topic

Replies: 10566
Total votes: : 4

Last post: October 06, 2024, 10:32:53 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

COVID-19 >>"True and Helpful" Covid Information Thread

Started by cc, March 13, 2020, 04:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 15 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Frood

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=394765 time=1608474564 user_id=114
Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=394754 time=1608443421 user_id=2015
How can Canada, US states, and some European countries criticize Sweden when what we have done has killed just as many people from COVID and more people from non-COVID.

I don't believe the Swedish is worse than say Britain or France that are in and out of hard lockdowns.

They're not.

This thing has longer dormancy rates and can hide in the populations asymptomatic wise for weeks.

Much to do about nothing...

We live, we die, who fucking cares. Governments and corporations are using this thing to fuck us.
Blahhhhhh...

cc

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=394765 time=1608474564 user_id=114I don't believe the Swedish is worse than say Britain or France that are in and out of hard lockdowns.

FFS. It's not worse "now" as I said their numbers while not great have come down from the original disaster[/u]

The "great plan" is now ancient history ... and is now merely a bitter example of what to NOT do[/quote]
For the 4th time I have said it in this thread ...  after the disaster of "the plan" last winter, they did a fast 180 & their numbers now have come down to roughly equal to many other countries

In fact, since they smartened up and changed their ways early last summer, they have done quite  well alongside other countries

I know many here wanted their original plan  to work. I'm just stating what Sweden concluded itself - It didn't.

Aside: With what we are seeing today, I have NO idea what will work short of vaccine ASAP - Our "Dick"tator let us all down badly in that area

EDIT - I just looked and despite heavy regulations for some time now,  today Canada reports that are in continue to show that  we are not lowering  numbers

Ontario "more than 2,300 new cases, as well as 25 more deaths"  

& Quebec's " 2,146 new cases, and 21 deaths."

and at a quick glance,  Europe is looking no better

US also continues to rise & had over 1 1/2 million new cases & 18,000 deaths for the past week
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

cc

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/expert-answers/coronavirus-and-vitamin-d/faq-20493088">Mayo Clinic on Vitamin D (I have included only what applies to Covid)

Several recent studies have looked at the impact of vitamin D on COVID-19.

STUDY 1: One study of 489 people found that those who had a vitamin D deficiency were more likely to test positive for the virus that causes COVID-19 than people who had normal levels of vitamin D.

2: Other research has observed high rates of vitamin D deficiency in people with COVID-19 who experienced acute respiratory failure. These people had a significantly higher risk of dying.

While this one is small in numbers, the results are interesting:

3 (Part a):  a small, randomized study found that of 50 people hospitalized with COVID-19 who were given a high dose of a type of vitamin D (calcifediol), only one needed treatment in the intensive care unit.

3 (Part b): In contrast, among the 26 people with COVID-19 who weren't given calcifediol, 13 needed to be treated in the intensive care unit.

Anonymous

Vitamin D comes from the sun, so that explains why people are getting sicker in North America and Europe.

cc

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=394726 time=1608424602 user_id=3254
Although this strain is more transmissible, it's not more deadly..

The vaccines work for it too.

New coronavirus strain up to 70% more transmissible, government says

New strain does not cause a more serious disease and is unlikely to affect rollout of vaccines

The new strain of coronavirus identified in England is up to 70 per cent more transmissible, prime minister Boris Johnson has said, as the government announced further restrictions to curb the rapid spread of the mutated virus.

Scientists have confirmed that the variant is passed more easily between people than the previously dominant strain, raising concerns that NHS services could be overwhelmed over the Christmas period if the spread of the virus is not slowed.

According to government analysis, more than 60 per cent of new cases in London are currently linked to the new strain. It accounts for 59 per cent of cases in the east and 48 per cent in the southeast.

This has led to a recent jump in hospitalisations across all three regions, professor Chris Whitty, the government's chief medical officer, said during a Downing Street briefing on Saturday.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/several-eu-nations-halt-u-k-flights-fearing-virus-variant-1.5239194">Several EU nations halt U.K. flights, fearing virus variant

Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria and Italy all announced restrictions on U.K. travel, hours after British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced that Christmas shopping and gatherings in southern England must be cancelled because of rapidly spreading infections blamed on the new coronavirus variant.

Anonymous

Oh my, that could quickly overwhelm British hospitals.

cc

Yes. You spotted the variant news initially. That's all they or anyone needs .. more transmissibility  

I can see why other countries would try to protect themselves from it and why Johnson must get even tougher

cc

Back to Vitamin D (up above), I've been taking increased dose daily since I found tidbits of info on this many months ago

I may just get  a bottle of that specific vitamin D (calcifediol) & keep it in my handbag for if I got covid

If hospitalized I'd ask to see my med list and it was not on it, self medicate on that item (D is know to do no harm even in fairly large dosage)

I'll check with pharmacist tomorrow as to whether the name "calcifediol" (used in the above Mayo article)  applies to all Vitamin D or if it is a specific type or compound .. It sure does come up in several places as very important covid-wise ... before and during

Anonymous

Does regular D work as well. The old lady and I take it every day.

cc

Dunno - I'll ask my pharmacist if there are differences

I take 3000 D3 now, up from 1000 before I knew it helped with covid -- D3 is a more effective way to get it into bloodstream I believe

I'll also ask if "calcifediol" as mentioned in Mayo article  is somehow different and if it supplied D3 as well .. will post in this thread once I know (internet as usual just took me down rabbit holes and I got nowhere I could trust), so will call my guy directly

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=394785 time=1608502145 user_id=88
Dunno - I'll ask my pharmacist if there are differences

I take 3000 D3 now, up from 1000 before I knew it helped with covid -- D3 is a more effective way to get it into bloodstream I believe

I'll also ask if "calcifediol" as mentioned in Mayo article  is somehow different and if it supplied D3 as well .. will post in this thread once I know (internet as usual just took me down rabbit holes and I got nowhere I could trust), so will call my guy directly

What is the actual brand name and do they sell it in most pharmacies?

cc

I have a deal with pharmacist and get my meds in blister pack, so don't get to see the bottles

I'll find out all I can  and post here .. especially on D3 and this  "calcifediol" as Mayo called it

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=394796 time=1608503850 user_id=88
I have a deal with pharmacist and get my meds in blister pack, so don't get to see the bottles

I'll find out all I can  and post here .. especially on D3 and this

I would appreciate it.

cc

Done deal .. I also want to know if  "calcifediol" is same or not as it is the one Mayo mentioned worked so well

cc

I did find this much on the net ..  Most studies show that vitamin D3 is more effective than vitamin D2 at raising blood levels of calcifediol ( 7 , 8 ). For example, one study in 32 older women found that a single dose of vitamin D3 was nearly twice as effective as vitamin D2 at raising calcifediol levels

Specifics matter .. I'll find out more on it