News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Will there be further waves of food shortages in our future?

Started by Frood, April 12, 2020, 02:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frood

The WSJ has recently reported that eggs and milk are being destroyed in pits with the eggs being smashed to prevent hatching...

So producers, I assume across the board, are limiting the ability to produce... will fields full of produce be turned over to compost?

Will we struggle to feed ourselves in the future?
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza"The WSJ has recently reported that eggs and milk are being destroyed in pits with the eggs being smashed to prevent hatching...

So producers, I assume across the board, are limiting the ability to produce... will fields full of produce be turned over to compost?

That is due to decreased demand from restaurant closings.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Dinky Dazza"The WSJ has recently reported that eggs and milk are being destroyed in pits with the eggs being smashed to prevent hatching...

I wondered what they were going to do with all that excess food production. But, for me, I'm getting more orders for free range beef. :thumbup:

Anonymous

Why did they not donate all this excess food that was wssted to area food banks?

Anonymous

I suspect it's not a unilateral choice by producers, but also a reflection of the reduced demand on what will ultimately prove to be a very fragile and very weak supply chain, with sick truckers leading the charge.

Don't quote me, it's only a logical hunch based on my limited training in simple logistics.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman" But, for me, I'm getting more orders for free range beef. :thumbup:

That's an enviable position.  There are 3 semi-local producers of FRB and FR 3/8 bison who also slaughter and pack to order, and have some freezer rentals as well.  They were all nearly maxed out before this pandemic came up, and now are out of freezer space and only able to pack for their established customers, of which I'm not one but have a friend who can help me out in a limited way.  

I have type O blood, and need that red meat to live ... unless I want to fukk around with amino supplements and vegetables that are not all that easy to digest.  If anyone is interested, I do have a reliable and tasty recipe for Puerto Rican vegetarian pinto beans that's gas-free, but you need adobo powder to make it work.  Just ask.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peaches"

I suspect it's not a unilateral choice by producers, but also a reflection of the reduced demand on what will ultimately prove to be a very fragile and very weak supply chain, with sick truckers leading the charge.

Don't quote me, it's only a logical hunch based on my limited training in simple logistics.

Demand is gone because governments have closed all hospitality businesses and forced mass unemployment.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman" But, for me, I'm getting more orders for free range beef. :thumbup:

That's an enviable position.  There are 3 semi-local producers of FRB and FR 3/8 bison who also slaughter and pack to order, and have some freezer rentals as well.  They were all nearly maxed out before this pandemic came up, and now are out of freezer space and only able to pack for their established customers, of which I'm not one but have a friend who can help me out in a limited way.  

I have type O blood, and need that red meat to live ... unless I want to fukk around with amino supplements and vegetables that are not all that easy to digest.  If anyone is interested, I do have a reliable and tasty recipe for Puerto Rican vegetarian pinto beans that's gas-free, but you need adobo powder to make it work.  Just ask.

I read that people with type O blood are more likely to have antibodies to COVID-19.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

I read that people with type O blood are more likely to have antibodies to COVID-19.

That would be forty per cent of the population, I think.  And I hope it's true.

cc

While there are not yet long term formal surveys, but a combination of hands on word of mouth and small surveys in China & US say there is a noticeable differences in favor of type O blood types .. with regard to both likelihood of getting covid initially and of it usually being less likely to be serious when contracted
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Frood

Their demand models are contracting so understandable that they trim away operational losses... but... it attracts new issues when production and deliveries ramp up... bottlenecks, shortages, etc....

...people might have only Herman's organic beef at a heavy premium to buy in 6 months because the cattle farmers and dairies culled their herds to conserve feed and other associated costs...
Blahhhhhh...

Berry Sweet

I saw that on the news :(

I don't care about food shortages, I'll eat whatever.  Fruit and veggies are always stocked up...people missing out on the best stuff...its salad season!

caskur

Yes.

I had a vivid dream a couple of days back.

I dreamt I was trying to feed 9 strangers on two cans of soup and I just couldn't stretch it.

I feel it was prophetic.  

Stock up on some Vitamin C tablets instead of your plonk juice.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Frood

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"

I saw that on the news :(

I don't care about food shortages, I'll eat whatever.  Fruit and veggies are always stocked up...people missing out on the best stuff...its salad season!

I don't believe we'll starve but we won't have the convenience to buy everything we were accustomed to buying before now...

It's a supply chain clusterfuck...it'll take up to 2 years to get back to a normalcy...I reckon...

...and as shortages and rolling lockdowns go on, people are going to turn to home gardening and chickens, changes in diet...et cetera... thus impacting the bottom line of primary producers...

...it seems to me that we might be in for a food security roller coaster with lots of imaginary dollars created and thrown at various industries to prop them up in the meantime... (which has the inverse effect on economies in the long run, thus causing more problems than it solves)...

Food for thought?  ac_biggrin
Blahhhhhh...