Last post: Today at 04:28:34 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

April is Confederate History Month

Started by Blazor, April 14, 2020, 11:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"
Quote from: "Dinky Dazza"
Quote from: "Blazor"Does anyone know the true story of Fort Sumter?

School books will tell you the South fired on the fort, thus starting the war. But that is far from the truth.

Lincoln had things working against him, and he did not want to lose his support. So he devised a strategy to provoke the South into firing first. The fort, being in Carolina, was officially Southern owned with secession, and Union owned forts were asked to abandon them. But Lincoln sent a hostile fleet, to resupply the fort. So, with the fort in front, and the fleet approaching from the harbor, the South fired in self defense upon the fleet. Again, the Union would not give up the fort when asked, so the fort was fired upon.

From my humble Northern roots, I've become a full fledged South supporter in my older years... the slavery sucked...but it was going for longer up north...

ac_drinks

You are exactly right. While the South was not allowed slaves after the war, the North still kept theirs, for several years.

I thought slavery in the North was banned before the American Civil War?

Anonymous

I wish the South had won the war. The Southern states would be the more prosperous and freer of the two.

Blazor

Quote from: "Fashionista"

School books will tell you the South fired on the fort, thus starting the war. But that is far from the truth.

Lincoln had things working against him, and he did not want to lose his support. So he devised a strategy to provoke the South into firing first. The fort, being in Carolina, was officially Southern owned with secession, and Union owned forts were asked to abandon them. But Lincoln sent a hostile fleet, to resupply the fort. So, with the fort in front, and the fleet approaching from the harbor, the South fired in self defense upon the fleet. Again, the Union would not give up the fort when asked, so the fort was fired upon.

From my humble Northern roots, I've become a full fledged South supporter in my older years... the slavery sucked...but it was going for longer up north...

ac_drinks

You are exactly right. While the South was not allowed slaves after the war, the North still kept theirs, for several years.

Some states did, yes, but not all. In fact, Lincoln gave even more favortism to the Northern states that simply didnt secede and join the Confederacy. The 13th amendment wasnt even signed until 4 years in to the war.

Delaware did not ratify the 13th Amendment abolishing slavery until 1901, the only non-seceded state that opposed the Amendment into the twentieth century. Northern slaves did not celebrate gradual emancipation as they would the abolition of slavery with the 13th Amendment. Under these gradual policies not much changed for slaves; many slaves remained in bondage, freedom was delayed for children, and much of the status quo remained in society. This is not to discount the shift that did occur in the period after the Revolution. Many slaves were freed individually during or after the Revolutionary War, and there was certainly an increased discussion about issues of slavery and race in the North. However, it is clear that only in New England did slavery die quickly. In the rest of the northern states, the process was very slow and slavery still had a presence up until the Civil War. While the North started to build their Free Soil Ideology and argue with the South over issues of slavery, the institution was still present there (albeit a shadow of slavery in the South). Clearly the line between "free" and "slave" in antebellum America was not as solid as sometimes presented.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Blazor

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"I wish the South had won the war. The Southern states would be the more prosperous and freer of the two.

Indeed  ac_drinks

Lincoln didnt like the South having a 10% tariff, vs the 90% the North imposed on the South. Would have been so much better.

">

Anonymous

ac_drinks

Some states did, yes, but not all. In fact, Lincoln gave even more favortism to the Northern states that simply didnt secede and join the Confederacy. The 13th amendment wasnt even signed until 4 years in to the war.

Delaware did not ratify the 13th Amendment abolishing slavery until 1901, the only non-seceded state that opposed the Amendment into the twentieth century. Northern slaves did not celebrate gradual emancipation as they would the abolition of slavery with the 13th Amendment. Under these gradual policies not much changed for slaves; many slaves remained in bondage, freedom was delayed for children, and much of the status quo remained in society. This is not to discount the shift that did occur in the period after the Revolution. Many slaves were freed individually during or after the Revolutionary War, and there was certainly an increased discussion about issues of slavery and race in the North. However, it is clear that only in New England did slavery die quickly. In the rest of the northern states, the process was very slow and slavery still had a presence up until the Civil War. While the North started to build their Free Soil Ideology and argue with the South over issues of slavery, the institution was still present there (albeit a shadow of slavery in the South). Clearly the line between "free" and "slave" in antebellum America was not as solid as sometimes presented.

I did read that freed slaves were often in bondage after slavery officially ended.

Blazor

Another reason Lincoln wanted to free the slaves, after the states seceded, was because it would undermine the economic engine and labor supply of the south, the slaves. Remember, the states seceded, cause they were tired of being taxed so much (think Boston Tea Party or along the lines), and were legally allowed to secede. Lincoln did not like this, and tried to force them back in by force. As punishment to the money the South was making, and not sending back up North, Lincoln freed the slaves. Before that though, Lincoln was against freeing slaves.

Anonymous

I found this Blazor.

in the fall of 1854, Lincoln presented more clearly than ever his moral, legal and economic opposition to slavery—and then admitted he didn't know exactly what should be done about it within the current political system.

Lincoln didn't believe blacks should have the same rights as whites.

Though Lincoln argued that the founding fathers' phrase "All men are created equal" applied to blacks and whites alike, this did not mean he thought they should have the same social and political rights. His views became clear during an 1858 series of debates with his opponent in the Illinois race for U.S. Senate, Stephen Douglas, who had accused him of supporting "negro equality." In their fourth debate, at Charleston, Illinois, on September 18, 1858, Lincoln made his position clear. "I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races," he began, going on to say that he opposed blacks having the right to vote, to serve on juries, to hold office and to intermarry with whites. What he did believe was that, like all men, blacks had the right to improve their condition in society and to enjoy the fruits of their labor. In this way they were equal to white men, and for this reason slavery was inherently unjust.

Like his views on emancipation, Lincoln's position on social and political equality for African-Americans would evolve over the course of his presidency. In the last speech of his life, delivered on April 11, 1865, he argued for limited black suffrage, saying that any black man who had served the Union during the Civil War should have the right to vote.

Lincoln thought colonization could resolve the issue of slavery.

For much of his career, Lincoln believed that colonization—or the idea that a majority of the African-American population should leave the United States and settle in Africa or Central America—was the best way to confront the problem of slavery.

The Emancipation Proclamation didn't actually free all of the slaves.

Since Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation as a military measure, it didn't apply to border slave states like Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri, all of which were loyal to the Union. (Missouri actually had two competing governments; one loyal to, and recognized by the Union, and one loyal to the Confederacy). Lincoln also exempted selected areas of the Confederacy that had already come under Union control in hopes of gaining the loyalty of whites in those states. In practice, then, the Emancipation Proclamation didn't immediately free a single slave, as the only places it applied were places where the federal government had no control—the Southern states currently fighting against the Union.

https://www.history.com/news/5-things-you-may-not-know-about-lincoln-slavery-and-emancipation">https://www.history.com/news/5-things-y ... ancipation">https://www.history.com/news/5-things-you-may-not-know-about-lincoln-slavery-and-emancipation

cc

I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

caskur

Quote from: "caskur"Read Gone With the Wind... it'll talk of slavery, the real truth... not the BS tv shows.

When they flattened those plantations... there was no work for the blacks and people starved to death...

Warning - The first 300 pages of Gone With the Wind are mediocre BUT persevere. From page 300, to 900, it'll be the best read you'll ever read by a country mile. It was freaking brilliant.

Right on, I may have to check it out some time.

You are right, people and blacks starved to death. We were invaded down here, which is why I call it The War of Northern Aggression. And when they came, they raped the women, burned the crops and food and homes, killed children, and looted.

Which is another reason blacks fought in the war on the South's side, to protect their way of life, their homes, their masters, and their master's families. The South was the first to accept blacks to fight alongside them, the North did not, and considered them inferior, up until the last year of war.

Margaret Mitchell wrote that over a period of 12 years in the early 1900s. There were still people alive back then who survived the Civil War. I got one of my friends in the USA to read that book to me over the phone, (I'd already read it 5 times) He actually cried reading it when he got to the part children, old men and blacks crawled off to the war in its last stand... He got so emotional reading it... I made my aunty read it. I had to ring her up and crack the whip through the first 300 pages, "keep reading, keep reading, keep reading" but after that at page 300, she could not put it down...

It's an eye opener to the reality of what the civilian population went through and today's carpetbaggers are no different, they're still around under different dress.

And funny enough it was my teenage son who got me to read it in the first place. We had the movie and we watched it a few times and I bought the book but it was my son who ran off to his bedroom to read the book... He'd come out of the bedroom and say, "mum, Scarlet had two children before Bonnie," and so on, and my curiosity was piqued and I said, "Gimmee that book."  

The book is an historical novel and not the romance the movie makes it out to be. It should be compulsory reading for every student globally.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Blazor

Quote from: "Fashionista"I found this Blazor.

in the fall of 1854, Lincoln presented more clearly than ever his moral, legal and economic opposition to slavery—and then admitted he didn't know exactly what should be done about it within the current political system.

Though Lincoln argued that the founding fathers' phrase "All men are created equal" applied to blacks and whites alike, this did not mean he thought they should have the same social and political rights. His views became clear during an 1858 series of debates with his opponent in the Illinois race for U.S. Senate, Stephen Douglas, who had accused him of supporting "negro equality." In their fourth debate, at Charleston, Illinois, on September 18, 1858, Lincoln made his position clear. "I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races," he began, going on to say that he opposed blacks having the right to vote, to serve on juries, to hold office and to intermarry with whites. What he did believe was that, like all men, blacks had the right to improve their condition in society and to enjoy the fruits of their labor. In this way they were equal to white men, and for this reason slavery was inherently unjust.

Like his views on emancipation, Lincoln's position on social and political equality for African-Americans would evolve over the course of his presidency. In the last speech of his life, delivered on April 11, 1865, he argued for limited black suffrage, saying that any black man who had served the Union during the Civil War should have the right to vote.

For much of his career, Lincoln believed that colonization—or the idea that a majority of the African-American population should leave the United States and settle in Africa or Central America—was the best way to confront the problem of slavery.

Since Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation as a military measure, it didn't apply to border slave states like Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri, all of which were loyal to the Union. (Missouri actually had two competing governments; one loyal to, and recognized by the Union, and one loyal to the Confederacy). Lincoln also exempted selected areas of the Confederacy that had already come under Union control in hopes of gaining the loyalty of whites in those states. In practice, then, the Emancipation Proclamation didn't immediately free a single slave, as the only places it applied were places where the federal government had no control—the Southern states currently fighting against the Union.

https://www.history.com/news/5-things-you-may-not-know-about-lincoln-slavery-and-emancipation">https://www.history.com/news/5-things-y ... ancipation">https://www.history.com/news/5-things-you-may-not-know-about-lincoln-slavery-and-emancipation

That sounds about right. He also said this....

If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.

He said that in 1862.

Blazor

Quote from: "cc"Happy Confederate Month Blaze

Thanks CC!  ac_drinks

I need to fly my flag this month lol.

Blazor

Quote from: "caskur"
Quote from: "caskur"Read Gone With the Wind... it'll talk of slavery, the real truth... not the BS tv shows.

When they flattened those plantations... there was no work for the blacks and people starved to death...

Warning - The first 300 pages of Gone With the Wind are mediocre BUT persevere. From page 300, to 900, it'll be the best read you'll ever read by a country mile. It was freaking brilliant.

Right on, I may have to check it out some time.

You are right, people and blacks starved to death. We were invaded down here, which is why I call it The War of Northern Aggression. And when they came, they raped the women, burned the crops and food and homes, killed children, and looted.

Which is another reason blacks fought in the war on the South's side, to protect their way of life, their homes, their masters, and their master's families. The South was the first to accept blacks to fight alongside them, the North did not, and considered them inferior, up until the last year of war.

Margaret Mitchell wrote that over a period of 12 years in the early 1900s. There were still people alive back then who survived the Civil War. I got one of my friends in the USA to read that book to me over the phone, (I'd already read it 5 times) He actually cried reading it when he got to the part children, old men and blacks crawled off to the war in its last stand... He got so emotional reading it... I made my aunty read it. I had to ring her up and crack the whip through the first 300 pages, "keep reading, keep reading, keep reading" but after that at page 300, she could not put it down...

It's an eye opener to the reality of what the civilian population went through and today's carpetbaggers are no different, they're still around under different dress.

And funny enough it was my teenage son who got me to read it in the first place. We had the movie and we watched it a few times and I bought the book but it was my son who ran off to his bedroom to read the book... He'd come out of the bedroom and say, "mum, Scarlet had two children before Bonnie," and so on, and my curiosity was piqued and I said, "Gimmee that book."  

The book is an historical novel and not the romance the movie makes it out to be. It should be compulsory reading for every student globally.

It was long ago I saw the movie, but I take your word that the book is much better lol.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"I found this Blazor.

That sounds about right. He also said this....

If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.

He said that in 1862.

Emancipation was not a priority, keeping the country united was.

Blazor

The only reason he wanted it united, was because of the money the South generated for the construction of the North.

Anonymous

The only reason he wanted it united, was because of the money the South generated for the construction of the North.

hmmm

ac_umm