The best topic

Replies: 7553
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 11:58:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

April is Confederate History Month

Started by Blazor, April 14, 2020, 11:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: Blazor post_id=386829 time=1602701166 user_id=2221
Sweet Home got butchered by Kid Rock.

My favorite Skynard songs are Simple Man, and Freebird.

That is one wild guitar solo on Freebird.

Blazor

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=386836 time=1602702122 user_id=2015

That is one wild guitar solo on Freebird.

:thumbup:
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

ac_dunno

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=386815 time=1602693456 user_id=3254
Quote from: Herman post_id=386733 time=1602629509 user_id=1689
Quote from: Blazor post_id=386579 time=1602599595 user_id=2221:thumbup:

I've seen Skynard live a few times in a few countries. You see lots of Confederate flags in the crowd. Back in the 70's in the Ronnie Van Zant era, they had a huge Confederate flag behind them at every concert.

You really do like their music..

I didn't know they had other songs besides Sweet Home Alabama.

:laugh:

I am Skynard's number one fan. I will post a song by them in the Pulse.

Anonymous

Simple Man is my favourite song period. Freebird is a rock classic. It's on par with Stairway to Heaven and Hotel California.

Blazor

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=386844 time=1602704963 user_id=3254

ac_dunno

I've posted it so many times! Freebird has so much sentimental value, because of my uncle and dad, who are gone.Im a simple man, and its such a good song, so Simple Man hits me too.

Just for you Fash, I shall post them again. Get ready to crank your speakers......

words are good in this one.....

">

and then, the one played at my dads, my uncles, and eventually my funeral....

">

Blazor

Quote from: Herman post_id=386872 time=1602711234 user_id=1689

Simple Man is my favourite song period. Freebird is a rock classic. It's on par with Stairway to Heaven and Hotel California.

YESSSS!!!!!! Stairway and Hotel are way overplayed, but you can never overplay Simple or Free!!!!

Anonymous

Skynard had so many good tunes.  Tuesday's Gone, Gimme Three Steps, Saturday Night Special, The Ballad of Curtis Loew, Cry For The Bad Man, That Smell, The Needle and the Spoon and on and on. The band took a very country turn when little brother, Johnny Van Zant took over. The Last Rebel is the best song from the reincarnated Skynard.

Blazor

This was a sad read, in this day in history.......

A famous daughter of the South dies today

October 20, 1862

Robert E. Lee would lose his Sweet Annie

Who was Anne Carter "Annie" Lee

Anne, or Annie as she was called, was the second daughter and third child of General Robert E. Lee and his wife, Mary Anna Custis Lee She was born in 1839 at Arlington on a 10,000-acre plantation built by her grandfather. It would overlook the Potomac River and Washington, D.C

She would be the only child of the seven Lee children to die before her father.

Black-haired and pretty, Annie was the least outgoing of the four Lee girls and she was extremely attached to her father, as he was to her. She lost the sight in one eye due to an accident with a pair of scissors but she managed, despite continuing ill health

The spring1862

Union troops occupied the Lee family home in Arlington, VA,

Annie would be captured by Federal troops, along with her mother and her sister, Mildred. Upon Mrs. Lee's request, an exchange was made and she and her daughters were allowed (by the Union General McClellan)to pass back into Confederate territory where General Lee was personally waiting for them with open arms.

Summer 1862,

Annie and her sister Agnes were sent to Jones Springs (also called White Sulphur Springs) outside of Warrenton, NC; it was a well-known resort at the time

The autumn of 1862

Annie would develop typhoid fever Despite desperate measures by family members, she died. This day Oct 20, 1862

Only 24 years old

Taking her body back to Arlington would require crossing Union lines, the owner of Jones Springs offered his family's cemetery for Annie to be buried; the family gratefully accepted.

General Lee never recovered from the grief of losing his "Annie".

One thing Lee really missed was Christmas with Anne. One of the big treats was after dinner she would go to the kitchen and make a special punch - Lee really loved that special time and after she died, around Christmas time one of Lee's aides found him crying. He was thinking about Anne and her punch that he'd never taste again.

She never passed the recipe on to anyone

The heart of a broken father and the memories of his Sweet Annie

In 1866

The family of Robert E. Lee and the people of Warren county raised $1,000 in support of erecting a monument. A Confederate soldier, Zearell Crowder, would create the towering an 11-foot obelisk and placed it at her grave in her honor.

In 1870

Robert E. Lee visited the Annie Carter Lee monument without warning any local residents of his intent. This would be the last year of this great Generals life

It became a point of pride to North Carolina chapters of the Sons of Confederate Veterans for many years to come that his daughter was buried here and Robert E Lee came to town

In 1994

the monument would be damaged by vandals, the Lee family requested the body be moved to the Lee family crypt in Virginia. Local chapters of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and the Military Order of the Stars and Bars attempted to convince the family to leave the body where it was

Although obelisk was eventually repaired by the Sons at the cost of 4000

The family still choose to move the body They felt it would be better looked after in Virginia

And so this

famous daughter of the South

Is now next to her father who loved her so dearly

At the Lee Chapel and Museum in Lexington, Virginia.

The obelisk remains in the Jones Family Cemetery located on Annie Lee Road.

A letter to Annie

Savannah, March 2, 1862

My Precious Annie: It has been a long time since I have written to you, but you have been constantly in my thoughts. I think of you all, separately and collectively, in the busy hours of the day and the silent hours of the night, and the recollection of each and every one whiles away the long night, in which my anxious thoughts drive away sleep.....

Robert E Lee

We remember this day

A lose to Robert E Lee

Of his daughter

And a piece of the heart forever missing

From this Ol General

His dear sweet Annie

Blazor

Oddly, FB no longer allows me to copy text. So I took a screen shot lol.

https://i.ibb.co/Npsmc5j/History.jpg">

Anonymous

Quote from: Blazor post_id=390771 time=1605630546 user_id=2221
Oddly, FB no longer allows me to copy text. So I took a screen shot lol.

https://i.ibb.co/Npsmc5j/History.jpg">

The personal stories of war always pull at the heart strings.

Blazor

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=390772 time=1605631043 user_id=3254

This is why it made me so mad when they started (and still doing) pulling down monuments and changing names. They were not to honor slavery, they were to honor the men, women, and children that died fighting for their lives here.

But we got joogle celebrating National Transgender Week!  :oeudC:

Whatever, but to not honor brave and honorable people, it just annoys the piss outta me.

Btw, here in VA, in every county that held a vote by the citizens in this election, they were given the vote to either keep or remove a monument. All counties that were given a choice by the citizens, over 75-90% approval to keep 'em where they are.

Anonymous

Quote from: Blazor post_id=390776 time=1605635363 user_id=2221

This is why it made me so mad when they started (and still doing) pulling down monuments and changing names. They were not to honor slavery, they were to honor the men, women, and children that died fighting for their lives here.

Whatever, but to not honor brave and honorable people, it just annoys the piss outta me.

Btw, here in VA, in every county that held a vote by the citizens in this election, they were given the vote to either keep or remove a monument. All counties that were given a choice by the citizens, over 75-90% approval to keep 'em where they are.

But, some people say those monuments honour people who fought to defend the institution of slavery.

Blazor

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=390784 time=1605642963 user_id=3254
Quote from: Blazor post_id=390776 time=1605635363 user_id=2221

But, some people say those monuments honour people who fought to defend the institution of slavery.

Those people, are uninformed, and were brainwashed in the public school system.

Think about this, had the South laid down their arms, and rejoined the Union, they could of kept slaves. The Corwinn Amendment proves this.

And why is the South only accused, when the North had slaves, even after the Emancipation Proclamation. Its because Lincoln wanted the slaves to revolt in the South, but they didnt, and fought with their masters.

It was over states rights, and high taxes being imposed on the South, while the money went to build in the North.

I can go on and on, as you know lol.

Anonymous