Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 11:16:38 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

A

Trudeau plans draconian gun laws after massacre

Started by Anonymous, April 20, 2020, 06:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Trudeau said his government is looking at moving ahead with stricter gun control measures as Parliament returns for some regular sittings during the pandemic.

"This is very much an ongoing investigation that is in its early stages in Nova Scotia right now. So I don't want to jump to conclusions," he said.

"I can say we were on the verge of introducing legislation to ban assault-style weapons across the country. It was interrupted when the pandemic caused Parliament to be suspended. We have every intention of moving forward on that measure, and potentially other measures, when Parliament returns."

Later in the House of Commons, MPs in an an almost-empty Commons chamber stood for a minute of silence after question period to remember the victims of the shooting.

Trudeau said that Canadians are having trouble coming to grips with the fact that this happened in a rural community, where neighbours rely on one another and rarely even lock their doors.

"Everyone knows each other, everyone is in shock," he said. "This horrific tragedy happened at a time when Canadians from coast to coast to coast were making sacrifices to keep each other safe. At a time where they're making the right choices every single day to prevent more heartbreak and more tragedy.

"When we awoke yesterday to horrific reports coming out of Nova Scotia, many of us probably asked ourselves, "Just how much more can we take?"

The Liberals committed during the fall election campaign to outlawing military-style assault rifles, including the semi-automatic AR-15, and said they planned to empower provinces and cities to take steps to manage the storage and use of handguns within their own jurisdictions.

Before the pandemic struck, Public Safety Minister Bill Blair had been developing a list of prohibited weapons that will include specific makes, models and descriptions.

It's not clear yet what kind of weapon Wortman was using.

"I am very much open to moving forward with our gun control legislation. I think there is always going to be questions of when is the right moment to do that,"

cc

Don't panic yet, mate. Sounds like military-style assault rifles

Depends only on how they define "military-style assault rifles" and the specific models

Hold yer fire mate
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

You can bet liberturd BC will be the first to ban handguns. Mel you better move to Alberta if you want to keep your pistols

cc

Hold yer fire mate - Don't go off "half cocked"

Leave that for Mel  :wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Hold yer fire mate - Don't go off "half cocked"

Leave that for Mel  :wink:

Justine aint going to let this one go to waste. He will milk it to grab more power. That is what he does.

Anonymous

Trudy was already planning to change the gun laws.  And then China virus hit, so that was put on hold...

Blazor

Quote from: "Mel"Trudy was already planning to change the gun laws.  And then China virus hit, so that was put on hold...

Here in Virginia, the fuckhead guvner was doing the same. Thousands protested at the capital. The Kung Flu hit, and he didnt postpone, he pushed it all forward, and wants to do more. As well as other laws he has pushed in the past week.

The Red Flag Law is the worst of the worst.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Spooky-Wu Flu... a heaven sent excuse for the elite to tighten their control over the plebs. Or an engineered excuse, take your pick, it doesn't matter at this point.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Guest"Spooky-Wu Flu... a heaven sent excuse for the elite to tighten their control over the plebs. Or an engineered excuse, take your pick, it doesn't matter at this point.

An engineered excuse.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"
Here in Virginia, the fuckhead guvner was doing the same. Thousands protested at the capital. The Kung Flu hit, and he didnt postpone, he pushed it all forward, and wants to do more. As well as other laws he has pushed in the past week.

The Red Flag Law is the worst of the worst.

Here, he wanted to ban "AR style" weapons (just the ones that look scary though) with a New Zealand style buy-back program, and also give power to individual municipalities to restrict (read: ban) handguns should they want to, as well as a couple of other minor changes.

It's honestly difficult for me to predict if the changes will be made.  Sometimes I'm a betting man, but not this time...  It could go either way.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "Guest"Spooky-Wu Flu... a heaven sent excuse for the elite to tighten their control over the plebs. Or an engineered excuse, take your pick, it doesn't matter at this point.

An engineered excuse.

I tend to agree. As I said earlier, it doesn't really matter at this point. Assuming you and I are 100% on the money in our suspicions, knowing that it was an act of war and not an act of God doesn't advance any action towards reining in the robber barons who are presently using it to fuck us over, now does it?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Guest"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"

An engineered excuse.

I tend to agree. As I said earlier, it doesn't really matter at this point. Assuming you and I are 100% on the money in our suspicions, knowing that it was an act of war and not an act of God doesn't advance any action towards reining in the robber barons who are presently using it to fuck us over, now does it?

No, it doesn't. It is like these inquiries into China's role in all of this. What will a guilty verdict mean? Is China going to write a cheque to every country in the world. Nope.

Anonymous

As expected, Trudeau politicized the tragedy in Nova Scotia by immediately banning assault rifles.  The NS shooter's weapons were not legally purchased.

cc

TODAY - It's official

Feds unveil ban on 1,500 'assault-style' firearms

unveiled the details of the promised ban on Friday, with Public Safety Minister Bill Blair describing it as a "first step" with others still to come.

The ban will see a total of 1,500 assault-style firearms banned for use, sale, import or transport in Canada effective immediately and includes a two-year amnesty period for current owners.

Eventually, there will also be a buyback program, but those details are still being worked out.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6892959/canada-assault-weapon-ban/?utm_source=NewsletterNational&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=2020">https://globalnews.ca/news/6892959/cana ... paign=2020">https://globalnews.ca/news/6892959/canada-assault-weapon-ban/?utm_source=NewsletterNational&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=2020

Anonymous

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview