The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

A

Sweden resisted a lockdown, and its capital Stockholm is expected to reach ‘herd immunity’ in weeks

Started by Anonymous, April 23, 2020, 12:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Perhaps the Swedish approach, but with better protection for the elderly was the better response to the coronavirus after all.

Its neighbors closed borders, schools, bars and businesses as the coronavirus pandemic swept through Europe, but Sweden went against the grain by keeping public life as unrestricted as possible.

The strategy — aimed at allowing some exposure to the virus in order to build immunity among the general population while protecting high-risk groups like the elderly — has been controversial. Some health experts liken it to playing Russian roulette with public health.

But now, the country's chief epidemiologist said the strategy appears to be working and that "herd immunity" could be reached in the capital Stockholm in a matter of weeks.

"In major parts of Sweden, around Stockholm, we have reached a plateau (in new cases) and we're already seeing the effect of herd immunity and in a few weeks' time we'll see even more of the effects of that. And in the rest of the country, the situation is stable," Dr. Anders Tegnell, chief epidemiologist at Sweden's Public Health Agency, told CNBC on Tuesday.

Herd immunity among a population, usually achieved through vaccination, is reached when around 60% of citizens are deemed immune.

Tegnell said sampling and modeling data indicated that 20% of Stockholm's population is already immune to the virus, and that "in a few weeks' time we might reach herd immunity and we believe that is why we're seeing a slow decline in cases, in spite of sampling (testing for the coronavirus) more and more."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/no-lockdown-in-sweden-but-stockholm-could-see-herd-immunity-in-weeks.html">https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/no-lock ... weeks.html">https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/no-lockdown-in-sweden-but-stockholm-could-see-herd-immunity-in-weeks.html

Anonymous

It's hard to say how history will decide which approach was right. But, these economic lockdowns are a short term response only. If they continue for months, it will be worse than trying to reach herd immunity.

cc

Dunno. Been watching it closely.

A case rate of 1,585   / million  population vs 1000 for us  .. and it started there long after it started here

They already have a death rate / million population of almost 4 X ours  ... 10.7 per cent mortality rate is highest of all counties ... dunno why?  

Euthanasia for sure which is OK by ultra lib Swedish standards

Herd? .. I cringe at the term as it is merely a dream.  One is not immune because of herd.

One is only immune if one has had it ... and that's still not proven to be a for sure

We'll see ... It's still a long way way for them to go  .. they had a very late start

I keep track daily for Canada, my Province and US .. I'll see if I can track their record of the last month ..

At 1st look, seems it might be flattening off to same amount / day at moment

Swedes are the least  independent of all in the West and do what govt says = more complying to rules like Taiwan and S Korea
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Dunno. Been watching it closely.

A case rate of 1,585   / million  population vs 1000 for us  .. and it started there long after it started here

They already have a death rate / million population of almost 4 X ours  ... 10.7 per cent mortality rate is highest of all counties ... dunno why?  

Euthanasia for sure which is OK by ultra lib Swedish standards

Herd? .. I cringe at the term as it is merely a dream.  One is not immune because of herd.

One is only immune if one has had it ... and that's still not proven to be a for sure

We'll see ... It's still a long way way for them to go  .. they had a very late start

I keep track daily for Canada, my Province and US .. I'll see if I can track their record of the last month ..

At 1st look, seems it might be flattening off to same amount / day at moment

Swedes are the least  independent of all in the West and do what govt says = more complying to rules like Taiwan and S Korea

The deaths in Sweden are heavily skewed towards the elderly, who should have been in strict isolation.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"It's hard to say how history will decide which approach was right. But, these economic lockdowns are a short term response only. If they continue for months, it will be worse than trying to reach herd immunity.

Sweden's death rate from COVID is higher than other countries, but since we don't know if their non death rate from the virus has spiked like most Western countries, we can't say if their approach is better or worse. We do know their economy will be in better shape than ours when we do lift restrictions. Still, herd immunity is a big gamble.

Anonymous

Manitoba won't even partially open up before May 18. Our lockdown is causing a lot of pain and no doubt death too.

cc

Quote from: "Fash"The deaths in Sweden are heavily skewed towards the elderly, who should have been in strict isolation

Yes. Clearly  they are deliberately using this opportunity to clear out retirement and care homes  .. will soon be able to use many of them to bring in  even more refugees .. while also  saving  their own pension pot ..

From the warped Swedish perspective (the land of euthanasia) , it's Win / Win .. It's Sweden eh?

As to will it work, daily  graph is not falling at all, it is rising again .. yesterday  well above average ... will see how  today and future goes when the numbers are entered .. will keep an eye on Sweden to see how it goes

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/">https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/sweden/">https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

Problem for many areas (many countries)  how quickly they  update .. and how accurately

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"
Quote from: "Fash"The deaths in Sweden are heavily skewed towards the elderly, who should have been in strict isolation

Yes. Clearly  they are deliberately using this opportunity to clear out retirement and care homes  .. will soon be able to use many of them to bring in  even more refugees .. while also  saving  their own pension pot ..

From the warped Swedish perspective (the land of euthanasia) , it's Win / Win .. It's Sweden eh?

As to will it work, daily  graph is not falling at all, it is rising again .. yesterday  well above average ... will see how  today and future goes when the numbers are entered .. will keep an eye on Sweden to see how it goes

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/">https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/sweden/">https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

Problem for many areas (many countries)  how quickly they  update .. and how accurately

They should've protected the elderly even though they resist economic lockdowns.

cc

Any society that does not prioritize the protection of  the young and the old is unworthy of being called a society.

And I'm talking about every day of the year, every year, not just now

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Any society that does not prioritize the protection of  the young and the old is unworthy of being called a society.

And I'm talking about every day of the year, every year, not just now

Absolutely..

If Sweden had done that their approach to battling coronavirus might be the best.....might be, time will tell.

cc

We'll see. While I'm skeptical, I've expanded my daily chart of Canada, BC, US, Washington & Whatcom County (where our daughter and family are) by adding Sweden last night to see how it actually works out day by day

I'll keep you posted as time (the only test) goes along. I'm prejudiced because I do know that Sweden is deliberately killing off the older generation for the benefit of the younger people. The terribly high death rate has no other explanation.

Worse, I have seen Sweden's past official policies on assisting elders to die .. often adding the argument that their generous pensions and benefits that no other country has will not survive if older people continue to live long lives.

It's not just that they are innovative. It's not a random coincidence that Sweden  are the only ones to try this method ... and the astoundingly high death rate per Covid case pretty much proves they care nothing for their elders and are sacrificing them

Still, I'll keep the actual numbers over time

Anonymous

Sweden may want to cull it's senior population..

My city has over seventy per cent of corona virus cases in this province..

I can't stand watching what I consider the most family friendly major city in Canada locked down unable to earn a wage..

It's the same across the country of course..

The medicine might be too harsh.

cc

Swedes seem very proud of it all .. and don't mention the death toll. First I heard of it was when I looked up the stats last night and was staggered

And yes. it is hard to watch the destruction around us

Anonymous

I just looked at Sweden's stats and discovered they have only 550 recovered..

They may have a long process to be declared recovered though.

cc

Let me check that

OK. You are right on

Reported cases 16,755

Reported deaths 2,021

Reported Recovered 550

Strange ... some may be because Sweden got hit later in the game .. but still that's not the entire story

Most countries show low numbers for recovered except Germany who has done the best job of every country also with   a very low death rate .. for many it may be they cannot keep track once one is tested and convalescing and

recovers so there is no official "that person is recovered" to list

Still, that number may be a clue that Sweden is not telling us everything .. dunno for sure

Aside: Every time I look at Sweden I see the horrendous death toll and feel ill because I know what is going on there