The best topic

Replies: 10400
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Cinco de May -The American Holiday

Started by Oak, May 04, 2020, 05:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Oak"
Quote from: "cc":laugh:

What's even funnier is that Cinco is a Mexican day ... most Americans don't know it exists, nor do they give a shit

What Jewish holidays do any non-Jews celebrate in the US?

In the regions of the country with lots of Mexican-Americans, it's celebrated.  Both by those with Mexican heritage and those that don't have it.

I don't know about the US, but I celebrated my Jew dentist's kid's bar mitzvah when I lived in Australia. Hey, who am I to turn my nose up at Manischewitz.

cc

As you know, I have my Manischewitz every night before going to bed

Once I have all the candles going of course
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Oak

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza"
Quote from: "Fashionista"Happy Cinco d Mayo Americans and Mexicans.

It's a Mexican holiday, that's celebrated by some Mexicans in the US...

It's not a holiday in Mexico.

It celebrates the Mexican victory at Puebla in Mexico against the French...

Maybe it's a Martian holiday?

It commemorates the battle, yes.  It's not a holiday in Mexico.  Not even in Puebla.  Not even a parade.

Oak

Quote from: "Herman"

What's even funnier is that Cinco is a Mexican day ... most Americans don't know it exists, nor do they give a shit

In the regions of the country with lots of Mexican-Americans, it's celebrated.  Both by those with Mexican heritage and those that don't have it.

I don't know about the US, but I celebrated my Jew dentist's kid's bar mitzvah when I lived in Australia. Hey, who am I to turn my nose up at Manischewitz.

A bar mitvah is not a Jewish holiday, Herman.

Anonymous

A big day for a Jewish boy. But, old Herman would light a menorah for Hanukkah for some Manischewitz.

Oak

A big day for a Jewish boy. But, old Herman would light a menorah for Hanukkah for some Manischewitz.

I agree, it is.  It doesn't make it a holiday, now does it?

Anonymous

Lighting a menorah for Hannukah? It sure as hell don't make me Jewish. Hell, I've partied with EI's on Diwali, Irish on St Paddy's and Vietnamese during Lunar(Tet) when I was younger. A party is a party.

Oak

Lighting a menorah for Hannukah? It sure as hell don't make me Jewish. Hell, I've partied with EI's on Diwali, Irish on St Paddy's and Vietnamese during Lunar(Tet) when I was younger. A party is a party.

No, we were discussing a bar mitzvah.  It's not a holiday.  It is an important day for a Jewish boy.

Lots of people in the West celebrate other ethnic holidays, I don't see that as problematic whatsoever.  I never said it was.

What you don't know is that Cinco de Mayo is a holiday that was promoted by beer companies in the US to sell beer to the growing population of Americans and Mexican immigrants.  

It was supposed to be amusing in general, but you folks made it tedious, like you do everything else.  You're wet blankets and don't seem to know fun if it sits on your faces.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cinco-de-mayo-beer-companies-advertizing-2011-5">https://www.businessinsider.com/cinco-d ... ing-2011-5">https://www.businessinsider.com/cinco-de-mayo-beer-companies-advertizing-2011-5

Anonymous

I grew up in the Willowdale area of North Toronto. I have celebrated every national holiday/festival that city has to offer.

Anonymous

What you don't know is that Cinco de Mayo is a holiday that was promoted by beer companies in the US to sell beer to the growing population of Americans and Mexican immigrants.  

It was supposed to be amusing in general, but you folks made it tedious, like you do everything else.  You're wet blankets and don't seem to know fun if it sits on your faces.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cinco-de-mayo-beer-companies-advertizing-2011-5">https://www.businessinsider.com/cinco-d ... ing-2011-5">https://www.businessinsider.com/cinco-de-mayo-beer-companies-advertizing-2011-5

Halloween, Valentine's/White Day and Easter are promoted by confectioners. Major sporting events by brewing companies. I have never tipped a few for Cinco. I just post goofy memes for it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"I grew up in the Willowdale area of North Toronto. I have celebrated every national holiday/festival that city has to offer.

I saw videos of Caribana in T.O. East Asians and whites dancing to reggae. Everybody loves a good party down there.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"I grew up in the Willowdale area of North Toronto. I have celebrated every national holiday/festival that city has to offer.

My husband enjoys Chinese/Lunar New Year celebrations more than I do.

kiebers

You can search all the major cities in the US as well as many in other countries and you will find Cinco de Mayo being celebrated. If there is even a hint of a reason to party, people will party. We will wait till tomorrow to "celebrate" since most places will be at their 25% capacity all night long tonight. In other words....our normal Mexican food and margarita date night.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Frood

Quote from: "kiebers"You can search all the major cities in the US as well as many in other countries and you will find Cinco de Mayo being celebrated. If there is even a hint of a reason to party, people will party. We will wait till tomorrow to "celebrate" since most places will be at their 25% capacity all night long tonight. In other words....our normal Mexican food and margarita date night.

Why are Americans celebrating a cactus monkey festivity that even Mexicans aren't?

Seems odd... like Americans celebrating St Patty's day in a parallel universe where the Irish don't.
Blahhhhhh...

kiebers

Quote from: "kiebers"You can search all the major cities in the US as well as many in other countries and you will find Cinco de Mayo being celebrated. If there is even a hint of a reason to party, people will party. We will wait till tomorrow to "celebrate" since most places will be at their 25% capacity all night long tonight. In other words....our normal Mexican food and margarita date night.

Why are Americans celebrating a cactus monkey festivity that even Mexicans aren't?

Seems odd... like Americans celebrating St Patty's day in a parallel universe where the Irish don't.

QuoteIf there is even a hint of a reason to party, people will party.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone