News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

REPORT NOW IN - Military teams report on Horrid conditions at Ontario care homes

Started by cc, May 26, 2020, 02:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Retirement Homes are very costly.

Ontario sets the cost for Care Homes and it's nowhere near retirement places

I know because I managed my mom's things via POA - Was about 2200 / mo, 4 years ago & she was relatively high income level.

For those who cannot make that, there is help

BC Govt sets Care Homes at  80% of income max & if income is relatively low it can be 1200 / mo
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

The government of Ontario has taken over operations of five elder care facilities.

cc

Yes they have. We had one early in the game that had to be taken over by Govt .. otherwise seems most are doing well

So you know, my mate's nephew manages all maintenance (includes rebuilding projects) for 5 "local" Hospitals scattered about 2 - 3  hours north of Edmonton

They found one Care Home up there there a disaster - He & others were sent urgently. His description to me was worse than the military's of the bad ones in ON ... literally having to step over bodies  on the hall floor .. filth and bugs everywhere .. most staff buggered off and people were left on their own

Somehow "the system" did not pick this one up long ago .. as obviously it was bad before Covid .. then covid ripped through it.

The Alta Health System took it over immediately and along with managing the 5 hospitals, he has to manage immediate cleanup and later rebuilding as health Alta will retain ownership permanently

We so fear for him. He's our favorite person on earth from past performances and interactions and outright help (getting and giving help at extremely critical times in our lives)  

He also  bad pneumonia with permanent lung consequences about the same time I had it in early February (without consequences) .. so covid would be bad for him  .. and while no doubt well protected, he's in the thick of it under very bad conditions

Anonymous

The conditions in some of those homes was disgusting. Why weren't there any whistle blowers.

cc

Good question - hard to believe conditions could get so bad ... faith in Govt takes a huge hit .. they just seem to not even look at conditions

But there had to be people who saw it ... so you are right >   "where were the whistle blowers screaming everywhere" ?????

Seems impossible such neglect  could happen and then continue .. but it did

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=363868 time=1590621038 user_id=88
Good question - hard to believe conditions could get so bad ... faith in Govt takes a huge hit .. they just seem to not even look at conditions

But there had to be people who saw it ... so you are right >   "where were the whistle blowers screaming everywhere" ?????

Seems impossible such neglect  could happen and then continue .. but it did

Governments didn't know. Employees of those homes have to make people aware of the horrid conditions. Nurses and nurses aides failed patients.

cc

https://www.blazingcatfur.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/elderly-ice-flow.jpg">

cc

IT GETS WORSE

https://thepostmillennial.com/breaking-caf-members-became-whistleblowers-after">BREAKING: CAF members in long-term care homes say they became whistleblowers after inaction by Trudeau government

It's been revealed that members of the Canadian Armed Forces became whistleblowers and went to the press to reveal multiple shocking cases of mistreatment of seniors in long-term care homes during the coronavirus crisis because of inaction on the part of the Trudeau government.

The reporter who broke the story, Global's Mercedes Stephenson, has disclosed that military personnel who witnessed the mistreatment of senior citizens and the abysmal and unsanitary conditions of the homes did not understand why their report of May 14 was not acted upon.

The report of May 14 was received by senior Trudeau government officials, first by MP Harjit Saijan, and on May 22 by Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Bill Blair.

"If you're wondering why troops became whistle blowers ... they were deeply concerned nothing was going to be done about the conditions they were reporting. They didn't understand why the federal govt had not moved given the May 14th letter," Stephenson tweeted.

cc

MEANTIME

Canada Pledges $27M To Venezuelan Refugee Crisis Amid COVID-19 Fight

https://www.blazingcatfur.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/trudeau-security-council.jpg">

The contribution comes at a pledging conference being hosted today by the European Union and Spain

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=363888 time=1590630030 user_id=88
MEANTIME

https://www.blazingcatfur.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/trudeau-security-council.jpg">

The contribution comes at a pledging conference being hosted today by the European Union and Spain

What else is new.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=363888 time=1590630030 user_id=88
MEANTIME

Maybe after a couple more years of Justin Trudeau we'll need other countries pledging money for us.

Anonymous

If we had known how bad conditions were in some nursing homes in Canada, we could have acted preemptively. Since the elderly make up the vast majority of cases in Canada, our death toll would be much lower.

cc

Allowing that many of these Care Home corporations have never acted responsibly has been a public known all along, I put heavy blame on Govts. who are not even coming close to the inspections and more..  so needed to protect the helpless, most of whom have no way to communicate the problems effectively

Hopefully this will bring in a new era of rewriting the rule book (done with no input from owners) + true enforcement of those rules

Further, when something like this virus hits, Govt. needs to further up the ante and dive in full bore to see that the right things happen

Hint: They might simply follow the examples and protocols of most "Non Profit" owned and operating homes .. that do a tremendous job with the resident's interests in the forefront - and did so well protecting their residents during this virus outbreak

The only exception I'm aware of is Holland Christian Homes, which runs Grace Manor - one of the 5 reported by the military (extremely unusual for non profits)

https://globalnews.ca/news/6998665/long-term-care-homes-ownership-coronavirus/">Who owns the 5 Ontario long-term care homes cited by military for extreme neglect, abuse?

Also keep in mind these were what appeared to be the worse cases - that does not mean all or even most others do their residents right.

Anonymous

cc

True, but we can have input only locally

It's all around the world in fact - which does not let any individual case off the hook .. nor does it not mean that we need do a lot better

As to virus in homes, several US Governors ordered unprepared and ill equipped homes take  positive patients in .. Cuomo alone killed 1000s that way .. "by decree"

One can hope the awakenings will actually result in great improvement  .. and I mean improvement outside of the virus alone