The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

On sad anniversary, few to mourn the D-Day dead in Normandy

Started by cc, June 06, 2020, 01:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

COVID STRIKES AGAIN

SAINT-LAURENT-SUR-MER, France (AP) — At least the dead will always be there.

All too many have been, for 76 years since that fateful June 6 on France's Normandy beaches, when allied troops in 1944 turned the course of World War II and went on to defeat fascism in Europe in one of the most remarkable feats in military history.

https://www.blazingcatfur.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/d-day-canada.jpg">

Forgotten they will never be. Revered, yes. But Saturday's anniversary will be one of the loneliest remembrances ever, as the coronavirus pandemic is keeping almost everyone away — from government leaders to frail veterans who might not get another chance for a final farewell to their unlucky comrades.

"I miss the others," said Charles Shay, who as a U.S. Army medic was in the first wave of soldiers to wade ashore at Omaha Beach under relentless fire on D-Day.

Shay, 95, lives in France close to the beach where he and so many others landed in 1944. He knows of no U.S. veterans making the trip overseas to observe D-Day this year.

"I guess I will be alone here this year," Shay said before he performed a Native American ritual to honor his comrades by spreading the smoke of burning white sage into the winds lashing the Normandy coast Friday.

The eerie atmosphere touches the French as well as Americans.

"The sadness is almost too much, because there is no one," said local guide Adeline James. "Plus you have their stories. The history is sad and it's even more overwhelming now between the weather, the (virus) situation and, and, and."

The locals in this northwestern part of France have come out year after year to show their gratitude for the soldiers from the United States, Britain, Canada and other countries who liberated them from Adolf Hitler's Nazi forces.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=365024 time=1591464724 user_id=88
COVID STRIKES AGAIN

All too many have been, for 76 years since that fateful June 6 on France's Normandy beaches, when allied troops in 1944 turned the course of World War II and went on to defeat fascism in Europe in one of the most remarkable feats in military history.

Forgotten they will never be. Revered, yes. But Saturday's anniversary will be one of the loneliest remembrances ever, as the coronavirus pandemic is keeping almost everyone away — from government leaders to frail veterans who might not get another chance for a final farewell to their unlucky comrades.

"I miss the others," said Charles Shay, who as a U.S. Army medic was in the first wave of soldiers to wade ashore at Omaha Beach under relentless fire on D-Day.

Shay, 95, lives in France close to the beach where he and so many others landed in 1944. He knows of no U.S. veterans making the trip overseas to observe D-Day this year.

"I guess I will be alone here this year," Shay said before he performed a Native American ritual to honor his comrades by spreading the smoke of burning white sage into the winds lashing the Normandy coast Friday.

"The sadness is almost too much, because there is no one," said local guide Adeline James. "Plus you have their stories. The history is sad and it's even more overwhelming now between the weather, the (virus) situation and, and, and."

The locals in this northwestern part of France have come out year after year to show their gratitude for the soldiers from the United States, Britain, Canada and other countries who liberated them from Adolf Hitler's Nazi forces.

I forgot.

ac_blush

Anonymous

COVID STRIKES AGAIN

Last year was the big seventy fifth anniversary, but this year crickets.

Anonymous

I had relative's that fought in army of the third reich.

Anonymous

Zetsu

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=365128 time=1591540317 user_id=114
It slipped a lot of people's minds this year.

Sadly I'm ashamed to admit I'm one of those ppl, even was a military fanatic myself.  ac_umm
Permanently off his rocker

Anonymous

Quote from: Zetsu post_id=365132 time=1591544068 user_id=61
Quote from: seoulbro post_id=365128 time=1591540317 user_id=114
It slipped a lot of people's minds this year.

Sadly I'm ashamed to admit I'm one of those ppl, even was a military fanatic myself.  ac_umm

I don't think there were any memorial events anywhere in honour of D-Day.

cc

It passed without much mention this year. I guess virus + all the action on US streets consumed the news

It was an extremely important day for 2 reasons. 1. So many killed and injured & 2. Gaining beachheads allowing more troops to come and  then advancing from them absolutely was the beginning of the  end of a very long and horrible war

The trigger for this article & title on it was not that it wasn't publicly mentioned much, rather that so many military people and country leaders could not publicly honor it  because of the virus

Anonymous

COVID STRIKES AGAIN

COVID and George Floyd is all people are seeing right now.

Anonymous

Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo compares the goals of China to nazi Germany.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/06/06/exclusive-pompeo-nazi-germany-communist-china-d-day/?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2360&pnespid=l7VmtOMJXgGNIgYkRn_TKYle56UJpZ2yZP7jBKeB">https://dailycaller.com/2020/06/06/excl ... 2yZP7jBKeB">https://dailycaller.com/2020/06/06/exclusive-pompeo-nazi-germany-communist-china-d-day/?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2360&pnespid=l7VmtOMJXgGNIgYkRn_TKYle56UJpZ2yZP7jBKeB

The reason D-Day happened is because Germany seized France. Currently, China is tightening its grip on Hong Kong as it seeks to become the single, greatest world power, which, in a way, is comparable to Germany's actions during the Second World War, Pompeo said.

"The promises that the Chinese Communist Party had made in their treaty with the United Kingdom that they broke when they made the decision to deny Hong Kong people the freedoms that they had been promised were similar to some of the promises that were broken back in the days when Germany advanced against the rest of Europe," he said.

cc

True. It wasn't just crossing borders. Treaties & promises were broken as soon as Germany  crossed borders

I like Pompeo. He's a gutsy no-BS hardass .. and very smart and experienced as well.

Anonymous

Quote from: Herman post_id=365190 time=1591573255 user_id=1689
Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo compares the goals of China to nazi Germany.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/06/06/exclusive-pompeo-nazi-germany-communist-china-d-day/?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2360&pnespid=l7VmtOMJXgGNIgYkRn_TKYle56UJpZ2yZP7jBKeB">https://dailycaller.com/2020/06/06/excl ... 2yZP7jBKeB">https://dailycaller.com/2020/06/06/exclusive-pompeo-nazi-germany-communist-china-d-day/?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2360&pnespid=l7VmtOMJXgGNIgYkRn_TKYle56UJpZ2yZP7jBKeB

The reason D-Day happened is because Germany seized France. Currently, China is tightening its grip on Hong Kong as it seeks to become the single, greatest world power, which, in a way, is comparable to Germany's actions during the Second World War, Pompeo said.

"The promises that the Chinese Communist Party had made in their treaty with the United Kingdom that they broke when they made the decision to deny Hong Kong people the freedoms that they had been promised were similar to some of the promises that were broken back in the days when Germany advanced against the rest of Europe," he said.

There are similarities.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=365192 time=1591573390 user_id=88
True. It wasn't just crossing borders. Treaties & promises were broken as soon as Germany  crossed borders

I like Pompeo. He's a gutsy no-BS hardass .. and very smart and experienced as well.

I like what I see from Pompeo too.