News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Pro and con discussion regarding fast food wages....

Started by Obvious Li, October 28, 2013, 09:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obvious Li

Fast Food Workers want more $...looking for $15/hr.

I was reading a few headlines and there have been comments in the press these past couple of years about fast food workers wages here are a few thoughts...agree or disagree ??

Detroit MCDONALD'S Forced To Close After Employee Walk Out...

GREASE MY CHECK: Protests Expand to 50 Cities...

Demand $15-per-hour minimum wage...

SUPER-SIZED STRIKE!

Yes they need to be paid more and not just so they can make ends meet in this economy, BUT enough with the corporate welfare crap!! We taxpayers pay the extra in social assistance and welfare etc so these huge fast food corporations can make more profit.

Higher wages for low income workers will not result in them being laid off en-mass because number of employees equals number of sales. McDonald's etc are about profit (which they should be but not at taxpayers expense) and they will continue to hire just as many employees as they need to sell as many burgers as they can, same thing as they do today.

Nor will it make burgers etc to expensive for the those with decent paying jobs, labor wages are just one factor in the cost of burgers and there have been lots of price increases in the last 10 years and sales continue to climb.

Lastly anyone who eats one of these fast food burgers should have their head examined imo ...what crap. There is plenty of food available at the same or better price point and if you really want a good burger buy some hamburger and cook it yourself.

I know the usual suspects will say "we can't let low income workers get more it will will ruin the economy and cause inflation" "fast food will be forced to lay people off" "corps will go broke" and " they are all young people anyways" .......i call BS

When I consider what many do  and get many times $15/hr. to not do, it further reinforces for me those at the bottom of the wage scale need to be paid more than they are even asking for.

Minimum wage should be a minimum $15/hour for any job...we just need to be willing to pay for the increase in cost in goods and services that will result......very minimum, i suggest.

comments....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"Fast Food Workers want more $...looking for $15/hr.

I was reading a few headlines and there have been comments in the press these past couple of years about fast food workers wages here are a few thoughts...agree or disagree ??

Detroit MCDONALD'S Forced To Close After Employee Walk Out...

GREASE MY CHECK: Protests Expand to 50 Cities...

Demand $15-per-hour minimum wage...

SUPER-SIZED STRIKE!

Yes they need to be paid more and not just so they can make ends meet in this economy, BUT enough with the corporate welfare crap!! We taxpayers pay the extra in social assistance and welfare etc so these huge fast food corporations can make more profit.

Higher wages for low income workers will not result in them being laid off en-mass because number of employees equals number of sales. McDonald's etc are about profit (which they should be but not at taxpayers expense) and they will continue to hire just as many employees as they need to sell as many burgers as they can, same thing as they do today.

Nor will it make burgers etc to expensive for the those with decent paying jobs, labor wages are just one factor in the cost of burgers and there have been lots of price increases in the last 10 years and sales continue to climb.

Lastly anyone who eats one of these fast food burgers should have their head examined imo ...what crap. There is plenty of food available at the same or better price point and if you really want a good burger buy some hamburger and cook it yourself.

I know the usual suspects will say "we can't let low income workers get more it will will ruin the economy and cause inflation" "fast food will be forced to lay people off" "corps will go broke" and " they are all young people anyways" .......i call BS

When I consider what many do  and get many times $15/hr. to not do, it further reinforces for me those at the bottom of the wage scale need to be paid more than they are even asking for.

Minimum wage should be a minimum $15/hour for any job...we just need to be willing to pay for the increase in cost in goods and services that will result......very minimum, i suggest.

comments....

I disagree because I used to work in a family-owned restaurant..

The owners were barely making ends meet themselves..

Higher wages or more staff could have made the difference between survival and bankruptcy..

I liked the owners and they liked me, but they could not pay me much more..

I did not mind though, the pay on weekends was good because of my tips..

Through the week was usually only a little above minimum wage.

Obvious Li

good points Fash,.....However....rarely do fast food workers get tips.

In the case of restaurants and tips i am open to suggestions regarding those...i agree paying a guaranteed $15 /hour may act as a disincentive to work hard but there is a simple way to level the playing field by having the owners apportion tips to the workers who deserve it as a bonus......

Romero

I believe it's a different situation in the US. In Canada the lowest minimum wage is $9.95/hour but in the US it's only $7.25/hour. Minimum wage in the US shouldn't be lower than what it was in 1968(adjusted into today's dollars). The big fast food companies are raking in billions while their workers are forced to go on food stamps and other assistance. It costs American taxpayers billions every year. Corporate welfare.

I don't think it should be raised to $15/hour though. It should be raised to at least $10/hour for now.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"good points Fash,.....However....rarely do fast food workers get tips.

In the case of restaurants and tips i am open to suggestions regarding those...i agree paying a guaranteed $15 /hour may act as a disincentive to work hard but there is a simple way to level the playing field by having the owners apportion tips to the workers who deserve it as a bonus......

Do you think striking down minimum wage would be a good idea for the fast food industry?

I really didn't care about what minimum wage was especially on weekends because the tips ensured a good payday..

Would incentive based pay work for the fast food industry too?

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Romero"I believe it's a different situation in the US. In Canada the lowest minimum wage is $9.95/hour but in the US it's only $7.25/hour. Minimum wage in the US shouldn't be lower than what it was in 1968(adjusted into today's dollars). The big fast food companies are raking in billions while their workers are forced to go on food stamps and other assistance. It costs American taxpayers billions every year. Corporate welfare.

I don't think it should be raised to $15/hour though. It should be raised to at least $10/hour for now.

get with with program homy....$15/hr = approximately $2500 per mo........almost pushes you into survival if you watch your pennies.......who can survive at $10 per hr. these days.....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"
Quote from: "Romero"I believe it's a different situation in the US. In Canada the lowest minimum wage is $9.95/hour but in the US it's only $7.25/hour. Minimum wage in the US shouldn't be lower than what it was in 1968(adjusted into today's dollars). The big fast food companies are raking in billions while their workers are forced to go on food stamps and other assistance. It costs American taxpayers billions every year. Corporate welfare.

get with with program homy....$15/hr = approximately $2500 per mo........almost pushes you into survival if you watch your pennies.......who can survive at $10 per hr. these days.....

I worked at a Canadian Tire store for minimum wage and I did babysitting for less than minimum wage..

Most people who do that are only part time and know those jobs were not a means to support oneself let alone a family.

Romero

Quote from: "Obvious Li"get with with program homy....$15/hr = approximately $2500 per mo........almost pushes you into survival if you watch your pennies.......who can survive at $10 per hr. these days.....

Wait, you're arguing for a $15/hr minimum and I'm arguing for a $10/hr minimum wage?

What the heck is going on?  :lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Obvious Li"get with with program homy....$15/hr = approximately $2500 per mo........almost pushes you into survival if you watch your pennies.......who can survive at $10 per hr. these days.....

Wait, you're arguing for a $15/hr minimum and I'm arguing for a $10/hr minimum wage?

What the heck is going on? Who are you?  :lol:

You both seem to feel that wages should rise for restaurant workers..

I am not sure if that would be possible for most owners.

:?

Romero

Though I might like them to be a little higher, I think minimum wages in Canada are okay. The real problem is in the US where they're much lower and it's forcing Americans to really struggle.

It's more about the US fast food industry than any local restaurant. Fast food workers there get so little yet their owners are raking in billions. It's just as profitable in Canada, but at least all our fast food and restaurant workers get a living wage.

American minimum wagers receive $2-3 less per hour than most developed countries. It's way too low and it certainly hasn't helped things there much.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"Though I might like them to be a little higher, I think minimum wages in Canada are okay. The real problem is in the US where they're much lower and it's forcing Americans to really struggle.

It's more about the US fast food industry than any local restaurant. Fast food workers there get so little yet their owners are raking in billions. It's just as profitable in Canada, but at least all our fast food and restaurant workers get a living wage.

American minimum wagers receive $2-3 less per hour than most developed countries. It's way too low and it certainly hasn't helped things there much.

No country in the world pays DQ/McDonald's employees well. In fact, in Singapore wages for fast food workers are even lower than the USA I believe. Singapore has no mandated minimum wage for kiddy jobs like that. If you don't want shit wages don't fucking work there and the problem is solved. Forcing franchise owners out of business because you want to stay in a kids job for the rest of your life is hardly a solution to anything.

Romero

The wealthiest, most highly developed countries in the world have minimum wages of at least $10/hour. The poorest countries have the lowest minimum wages.

It's not just kids in their first job working in the fast food industry. Fast food workers deserve a living wage. It helps them and their families, it helps them advance to other careers, it stimulates the economy, and it saves taxpayers money by keeping workers off government assistance.

It works well in Canada, Europe, Japan and Oceania, and it can work in the US too. Companies can continue their high profits, it would lower government spending and stimulate the economy, and it would bring millions out of poverty and suffering.

How could millions of Americans living in poverty and needing food stamps be a good thing? And all so a handful of corporations can make a few extra bucks they don't need. The economy would be doing a lot better if people had a little more money.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"The wealthiest, most highly developed countries in the world have minimum wages of at least $10/hour. The poorest countries have the lowest minimum wages.

It's not just kids in their first job working in the fast food industry. Fast food workers deserve a living wage. It helps them and their families, it helps them advance to other careers, it stimulates the economy, and it saves taxpayers money by keeping workers off government assistance.

It works well in Canada, Europe, Japan and Oceania, and it can work in the US too. Companies can continue their high profits, it would lower government spending and stimulate the economy, and it bring millions out of poverty and suffering.

How could millions of Americans living in poverty and needing food stamps be a good thing? And all so a handful of corporations can make a few extra bucks they don't need. The economy would be doing a lot better if people had a little more money.

Singapore is one of the wealthiest nations on earth and has no minimum wage. They have other ways of encouraging wage and career growth, but they see little benefit for their economy in arbitrarily dictating wages to small biz.

It doesn't matter if you are making the US federal minimum wage of $7.25/hr, Washington state's minimum wage of $9.19/hr or Singapore's no minimum wage, you are fucking poor and stupid if you are an adult and working at Mickey D's. No sympathy for children trapped in adult bodies. I am not going to bankrupt some little mom and pop biz because some idiot has Peter Pan syndrome. All that would do would increase the unemployment rate and have more people collecting foodstamps. However, I can't see the average biz owner allowing that to happen.

Romero

Singapore is a city-state where one third of the population is cheap foreign labour. No thanks.

Going back to the days of the Industrial Revolution is definitely not the answer. The wealthiest countries with the highest standard of living pay their citizens well.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"Singapore is a city-state where one third of the population is cheap foreign labour. No thanks.

Going back to the days of the Industrial Revolution is definitely not the answer. The wealthiest countries with the highest standard of living pay their citizens well.

Who the fuck do you think works at Tim Horton's in Alberta? It is contract foreign workers because Albertans don't want anything to do with kiddy jobs like that.

Governments forcing small mop and pop businesses into bankruptcy does not increase wages. It only increases unemployment for high school kids.