Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Holy Sh-t!! - Canada Wide Virus Tracking à la Mel

Started by cc, July 04, 2020, 03:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

https://globalnews.ca/news/7120373/coronavirus-sewage-ottawa-calgary-toronto/?utm_source=NewsletterNational&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=2020">How your sewage could help track coronavirus in your neighbourhood

Across Canada, scientists are working out how to build an early warning system for a second wave of the novel coronavirus based on a substance we don't want to look at, think about, or be near: human waste.

And they hope to refine their sewage-based surveillance system to the point that it can monitor individual neighbourhoods or institutions, like long-term care homes, they say.

The system they're developing now is focused on the coronavirus, but they say they're hoping it will have a longer-term use dealing with future diseases.

"Everybody has to poop," says Ryerson University professor Kimberly Gilbride. "It's something that we can't avoid."

"People can't opt out of it, so it's going to give us a really good idea of what's happening in the communities," she says.

Gilbride and fellow Ryerson professor Claire Oswald are involved in a project to set up a sewage monitoring system in Toronto. They explain that they're still in an experimental stage, but that they expect to start measuring virus levels in earnest by the end of the month.

Maybe our "sort of" resident shitaficionado could consult for them
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=369789 time=1593889439 user_id=88
https://globalnews.ca/news/7120373/coronavirus-sewage-ottawa-calgary-toronto/?utm_source=NewsletterNational&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=2020">How your sewage could help track coronavirus in your neighbourhood

Across Canada, scientists are working out how to build an early warning system for a second wave of the novel coronavirus based on a substance we don't want to look at, think about, or be near: human waste.

And they hope to refine their sewage-based surveillance system to the point that it can monitor individual neighbourhoods or institutions, like long-term care homes, they say.

The system they're developing now is focused on the coronavirus, but they say they're hoping it will have a longer-term use dealing with future diseases.

"Everybody has to poop," says Ryerson University professor Kimberly Gilbride. "It's something that we can't avoid."

"People can't opt out of it, so it's going to give us a really good idea of what's happening in the communities," she says.

Gilbride and fellow Ryerson professor Claire Oswald are involved in a project to set up a sewage monitoring system in Toronto. They explain that they're still in an experimental stage, but that they expect to start measuring virus levels in earnest by the end of the month.

I don't get it, but I like technology and I will leave it at that.

cc

As I take it, they think they can pinpoint areas of high recent infection . .and then act accordingly

I also take it a government run amok

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=369798 time=1593891903 user_id=88
As I take it, they think they can pinpoint areas of high recent infection . .and then act accordingly

I also take it a government run amok

I get that, but I don't understand how. I do not need to know either.

Odinson

They found the virus in the city wastewater treatment plant.

Its not even a complicated system.

They´ll take samples from the waste water coming from different areas of the city.

Anonymous

Quote from: Odinson post_id=369804 time=1593893477 user_id=136
They found the virus in the city wastewater treatment plant.

Its not even a complicated system.

They´ll take samples from the waste water coming from different areas of the city.

They test the wastewater. Better than up your nose to your brain.

Anonymous

Watch old Mel post another thread like this one in Rejected.

cc

You bechya

While I was posting this, that sure came to mind  :roll:

Frood

That sounds like a violation of the Patient-poo confidentially agreement... I'm putting mine through a paper shredder first just to be safe... :)
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

How your sewage could help track coronavirus in your neighbourhood

Across Canada, scientists are working out how to build an early warning system for a second wave of the novel coronavirus based on a substance we don't want to look at, think about, or be near]Maybe our "sort of" resident shitaficionado could consult for them[/i]

I wish them success, I guess.